vomiting?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I've got a bit of a problem. Artimis keeps vomiting in the morning. He's done this for weeks. At first we thought he had an upset stomach, but he's showing no other signs at all of illness. His coat is great, he still eats and he isn't looking skinny at all.

It's almost like he is making himself vomit. It's not directly after he eats, it's actually before his first meal. We wake up, and let him out to potty. He then potties, vomits, and then poo's. Every morning. :confused:

He's already been to the vet's they said he looks great. We thought it was because he was eating his fast way too fast and not chewing. So we cut his meals down to smaller pieces and much smaller quantities. Still he's vomiting.

Any idea's?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
How long does he go between his last meal of the day and his first meal in the morning? Is it just yellow, foamy vomit?
My first instinct is that he's going too long between meals so he is throwing up because his stomach is empty and upset for that reason...

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
No it's not just bile and stomach acid. It's food, partially digested food. Vet said he seems healthy, no help from them.

And he does seem very healthy. I'm pretty sure he's not getting too much food either. His water intake is good.

It doesn't seem to be affecting his health negatively yet, I just don't like it at all. It doesn't seem normal to me.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
IT's an empty stomach. He may need to eat 2 or even 3 times day..the same amount you would feed if you were feeding once or twice, just divied up. Victor and Pepper both will do that if i feed them only once a day.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
IT's an empty stomach. He may need to eat 2 or even 3 times day..the same amount you would feed if you were feeding once or twice, just divied up. Victor and Pepper both will do that if i feed them only once a day.
We don't feed once a day. We've had to feed him multiple, small meals each day so he doesn't eat it so fast. It's definitely NOT an empty stomach either.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Hmmm, that is very interesting. How soon before bed is he eating? Maybe he needs to eat earlier before bed..?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
At least a few hours. He typically doesn't go to sleep until we do and that's pretty late. He eats when I get home from work around 9:30-10pm or so.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Do you give him a lot of attention for vomiting? Aubrey had developed "attention puking" at one point. :rolleyes:

Do you wet his food before he eats it?

bubbatd

Mine have always done better on once a day feeding . I think it depends on the breed and their size . I've had my Grandog Seger for a few days . He's free fed at home , but it doesn't work out well here with Ollie . I've tried giving him food in the garage , but he didn;t eat . So I fed him with Ollie with a little canned and water and they both wolf it down together ! Yup , Grammys can spoil !

finder

If the dog vomits one or two times occasionally, this may not be taken as a serious sign of ill health but if the dog continues this vomiting, then this is something significant to be looked into.

Island dog

That must be so frustrating when the vet can't figure out the problem. What are you supposed to do? Did the vet say if there are any potential problems if the dog continues vomiting daily?

lizzybeth727

Maybe give him a biscuit or something first thing in the morning to settle his stomach before he goes out to potty?

Since the food is undigested, maybe he's eating too soon before bed, too?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Well, we took out the soft wet food and cut it up into pieces and instead of feeding him small portions we used them as treats instead. He didn't throw up this morning, so we are going to continue that see how it goes. Hopefully he can grow up a bit and then go back to just eating normally.

Dogs can can get acid reflux often on empty stomach have a 13 year old that does it got certain pills from vet. Will look for the name and post.
You can use pepto to help him.
What food are you feeding? some get allergies that make their throats itchy and they try go clear it by coughing then throwing up.
What food are u feeding?

Members online

No members online now.