Overnursing!

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
Sadly, Belly wont be able to come home until august because she has to get her rabies shot before going on a plane :( But anyway, I talked to the breeder and he said that she was still nursing from her mom. I think this is a good thing since she'll get more anti-bodies but I was just wondering if theres a bad side to this.Shes already started on dry food (BTW, the breeder feeds all his dogs Innova) and likes it just as much and I know puppies can get Demodectoc mange from nursing also. The breeder said that next week though,for sure shes gonna have to stop nursing. BTW, shes 10 weeks right now :)

Last edited:

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Its fine puppies will do this but by 11 weeks if still with the mum they should be seperated if still nursing which i know your breeder said she will stop. At 10 weeks of age i completely seperate them from mum. Roxy will be going back into the barn as she is a barn dog and the puppies will continue with their training and its just a better way of weaning them from their mums so its an easier transition them into new homes at 12 weeks :)!

frznbuns

I have a question, Where is your puppy coming from? Why are you having to wait till August to get her? I just shipped a puppy to Germany at 10 weeks, before the rabies shot. Please repond asap as I might know how you can get your puppy sooner.

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
Shes coming from Brazil. Last year, you we're able to receive and ship puppies from there as long as they we're over 9 weeks but then the law changed and you have to give the rabies shot and wait 20 days before going on a plane. I'd really appreciate it if there was some way to bring her home earlier :)

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry to hear Belly can't come home yet. We will all be eagerly awaiting her arrival. Keep us posted!

Fran27

That's unfortunate.. You must be getting really impatient :( It's good though, it will give him more time to get trained by his mom and the breeder.

BagelDog

Not crazy...
She wont get more antibodies from that. When animals are first born, part of there gut is opened up big enough to absorb the antibodies from the milk, but within 2 hours the gut closes and its not possible, thought anitibodies are still in the milk. Its not the milk that loses the antibodies as many people think, but the puppy/kitten that cant abosorb them. Anyways, it will just make finally getting her all the better :)

Members online

No members online now.