Best Dry Food For Picky Eater?

JennyWI

I have a question...

What are some of the dry foods that people have had luck with for picky eaters? We have a small breed puppy, and she came to us on Nutro Natural Choice. She hardly touched the dry, so we tried the wet, and she loves it. We'd like to gradually switch her to a higher quality of food, and have a portion of it be dry. Any ideas? We do have a local food store with great quality...I just don't want to go through 10 packages until I find one she likes.
She's a 9 week old Papillon.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

maple

Queen of the Jungle
Each dog is different, but many stores have little sample bags, sometimes they are free, sometimes they are about $0.50 or $1.....maybe look for those and see if one of the brands you like has one, then you won't get stuck with a big bag of food the pup won't eat.

Juicy

You can try soaking the kibbles, and 9wks. old maybe her teeth aren't as strong. Try small bite kibbles.

JennyWI

We did mix together in an attempt to get her to eat the dry, and she just tries to get the wet off. We do have the small bite version of the food. She does go nuts for a box of hard treats we have, so I think it's the taste.

Thanks for the information about sample bags!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
If I mix my dogs' food with a little bit of canned salmon they go bonkers.
Sorry I can't help more than that, my dogs will eat anything whether it's edible or not...

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
LOL, Lauren! Fozzie is the same way... you would think they were short-legged pigs. x3

As far as palatability, I think that varies between individuals. Gonzo is a picky dog, but he LOVES Innova Evo, Natural Balance, and Taste of the Wild. With almost any other kibble, he will leave most of it. He tried Blue Buffalo once and he really liked it. I think there are little soft pieces of some sort in the Blue Buffalo.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
LOL, Lauren! Fozzie is the same way... you would think they were short-legged pigs.
There probably is some pot-bellied pig or something in their background, LOL!
I can't even count the times something has dropped on the floor and I think, "Oh, they won't eat that..." Pfft! Yea right!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
OMG... seriously. Walking garbage disposals!

There is actually a yearly Corgi fair nearby, and they have a Corgi eating contest. They have to eat a variety of weird, gross things, and the Corgi who will eat all of it wins! Last year, the last food item was pickled ginger... and a Corgi actually ate it. D: I think I'll enter Fozzie this year.

ACooper

If you really think its a taste issue, try adding a little chicken broth.

Boiling a chicken thigh, skin and all with a 2-3 cups of water will give you a good salt free broth, and it's enough to last a a few days or so :)

My poodles are the pickiest dogs on the planet... thank god we found a store that had free samples... I think we tried every food out there... literally.

They now eat FROMM Duck and Sweet Potato and LOVE IT... before we were adding everything imaginable to their food in order to get them to eat and it was such a pain when we were out somewhere... now they eat their whole bowl with nothing in it.

If I didnt know my Yorkies background... I would swear he is part Corgi... he will eat ANYTHING... so its no surprise that he eats the FROMM.:)

Anyway... if you are trying all chicken based foods for example... try picking a food with a different protein source and that might do the trick.

Good Luck..

Elissa

Members online