Taking sophie to school?

mrose_s

BusterLove
hmm. well. i was thinking. sophie is 9. she has awful arthritis. a bad back, sore feet but the BEST personality.

she knows "sit" "shake hands" "lie down" "out side" and her name. we cant teach her much else as she can't run or be too active.

she looks mastiff/American Bulldog. she has those big pit cheek muscles but is so kind. so i was thinking, she loves kids SO much. what about taking her to school/retirement homes and stuff and letting her meet people.

i know she would love the outing and she just loves people. plus, it might help change peoples perception that big, mastiff-y dogs can be very gentle.

i was talking to sophie thismorning. and i walked over and started getting all up in her face to get her excited. she was so cute. i stuck my hand in her mouth and stuff just to see howd she be with kids touching her. and i knew she wouldnt have a problem.

we had one little girl come over. she had no clue. she hit sophie, she stuck her fingers i her eyes and stuff. and i caught her doing it, grabbed her arm and said "you CAN'T do that to her" then let her go. she cried. but she didn't touch sophie again. ofcourse, through all this. sophie just ignored her, walked away and such.

so whatya think? good idea? who would i get in contact with to start taking her places and such?

skyeboxer

You had one little girl come over, hit Sophie, stuck her fingers in her eye and then you caught her? Arthritis, bad back and sore feet? I'd say that even if Sophie adores kids you could be putting her under way too much stress. What if one of the kids leaned against her on a day when her back was particularly sore or arthritis was really playing up? Even if there is 99.99% chance that Sophie will always be gentle, that .001% chance of an off day could be Sophie's one way ticket to the Rainbow Bridge.

Sorry, but you asked for opinions. Schools, imho, no.

mrose_s

BusterLove
mmm. i see that. but i have seen people lean on her a lot. she has 2 ppuppies that constantly jump on her head while she's trying to sleep. it would take a LOT to provoke sophie/

Members online

No members online now.