Question for raw feeders.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
How often do you give tripe?

It looks like I am going to be getting my freezer back at the end of January and I'm toying with the idea of putting Frodo back on all raw since he's having such a terrible time with allergies lately. I was just wondering how often you give tripe, and how much is too much tripe?

Now I just need to decide whether I want to do frankenprey or ground. Ground is cheaper, but frankenprey is so much more fun!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Once or twice a week here. Sometimes as a whole meal and sometimes just on top of a meal.

I like to wean to raw with tripe...it is really a great food. I like to feed it pretty often but I can't always get it (well for a price that is doable for giant dogs)...my dogs seem to do better when they get nice amounts of it.

It's in my ground up red meat along with other organs so they get it four times a week with that. Not a terribly high percent though.

For awhile they were getting it as a meal once a week but I ran out of it.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I have access to plain green tripe; green tripe with trachea and gullet; and then green tripe with muscle meat, heart, tongue, trachea, gullet, and ground bone.

I don't know that there would be much benefit to the latter unless I know exact numbers of what is in there so that I can adjust the rest of what he is eating.
I so *hate* being limited to 5 protein sources. He will be eating probably 75-80% beef and beef tripe, then rabbit/pork/bison/cisco(fish) for variety when I feel like throwing away some money. Poultry would make my wallet so much happier, lol.

I feed it 1-2 times each week as a whole meal. If you're just going to do that, feeding it in place of boneless muscle meat a couple times a week, just stick with the plain green tripe. It's cheaper, and the other stuff that's in Tripe/Trachea and Xkaliber just isn't really necessary when you're feeding a balanced and varied diet.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I feed it 1-2 times each week as a whole meal. If you're just going to do that, feeding it in place of boneless muscle meat a couple times a week, just stick with the plain green tripe. It's cheaper, and the other stuff that's in Tripe/Trachea and Xkaliber just isn't really necessary when you're feeding a balanced and varied diet.
Thank you!!!

My raw supplier offers a beef/tripe mix with liver and heart that I feed instead of just plain tripe as a muscle meal; it's got the organs already included and it isn't quite as stinky as pure tripe. So, my guys get it at least once a week, if not more often.

monkeys23

Usually 3 nights a week. Been getting the tripe/trachea/gullet mix. Totally their fav food lol.

I like using the trachea gullet mix personally as I dont really find those items otherwise. Also, I use the organ blend for Ivy because she is a biatch about eating organs:/

Green Tripe does make a tripe/organ blend, which was suuuper popular at work until they pretty much doubled their prices... It's still really helpful for dogs that won't usually eat organs, but our sales have plummeted.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Curse you people I've been thinking about green tripe on and off all morning and now I'm grossed out. :p
I swear just reading the words "green tripe" make me smell it, even if there's none around...

I swear just reading the words "green tripe" make me smell it, even if there's none around...
Oh god when my old dog Roxy had lymphoma, one week she decided tripe was all she wanted to eat and let me tell you... that was love, man, feeding that at every meal. *shudder*

kady05

I must be weird, because I honestly don't think it smells that bad! Maybe it's from all the years basically living in a barn (I rode horses for 16yrs.) LOL. When I portion mine out, I usually do it while it's still partially frozen, so that helps, but even completely thawed I don't think it's *that* bad. I put off feeding it for so long because everyone had me freaked out about the smell!

Kidney, however.. BLEH.

Members online