The musing thread

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
The ice cream truck that combs our neighborhood is playing "What Child is This?" (Game Boy version) over its loudspeaker. Um. Okay.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Just found out one of my close childhood friends passed away. I hadn't spoken to him in probably 10 years since I moved but we were friends on Facebook and I enjoyed seeing him post all about his life. I can't believe this. Wow.

*blackrose

Well, DH looks like he got punched in the face, but otherwise got through his OC spray alright. Hopefully it doesn't flare up again later on today. Ow.

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
I've asked this before, but I'm mostly thinking out loud lol.

I wonder how reliable 2009-2010 Hyundai Elantra/Sonata are? I've found a few that are pretty low miles with great prices and it just makes me.... think, I guess.

For instance - 2010 Hyundai Elantra with only 64K on it priced at just $8K! Which is well within what I'm wanting to spend at the moment. The 2010 Civic I was looking at (but really thinking hard) is $10,991, which is a big price difference to me!

Also found a 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS with almost 62K on it for $9,000. It's very, very nice and I love the color... but I just don't know? One more - 2010 Elantra with just over 82K on it for $7900. Ad says it has a clean carfax and it is so very cute (though 3 or so hours away!).

I just don't know much about Hyundai honestly. And of course this happens to be the week that both my dad and uncle are in another country! :p

noludoru

Bored Now.
I've asked this before, but I'm mostly thinking out loud lol.

I wonder how reliable 2009-2010 Hyundai Elantra/Sonata are? I've found a few that are pretty low miles with great prices and it just makes me.... think, I guess.

For instance - 2010 Hyundai Elantra with only 64K on it priced at just $8K! Which is well within what I'm wanting to spend at the moment. The 2010 Civic I was looking at (but really thinking hard) is $10,991, which is a big price difference to me!

Also found a 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS with almost 62K on it for $9,000. It's very, very nice and I love the color... but I just don't know? One more - 2010 Elantra with just over 82K on it for $7900. Ad says it has a clean carfax and it is so very cute (though 3 or so hours away!).

I just don't know much about Hyundai honestly. And of course this happens to be the week that both my dad and uncle are in another country! :p
My personal opinion on Hyundais and Kias is something most of you on here won't like, so I'll leave it out. ;) I have friends who've had them for many years very reliably, but I've also had friends who owned VW's for many years with no issues. And two customers who owned and LOVED their Jags for over 10 years with virtually no issues. So take that as you will!

I'd ignore people's opinions and go by studies that have done actual research on the topic for at least 1-3 years. JD Power does 1 year studies, consumer reports does 3. Consumer reports lists Kia/Hyundai in that year range lower than JD Power does.

http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Hyundai/index.htm?sortBy=year desc&year=2009

US News rates the 2014 17th out of cars in its class:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Hyundai_Elantra/Reliability/

They rate the 2009 higher
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Hyundai_Elantra/2009/

I'm not going to tell you what to buy or what not to buy, just that there's a reason if a car costs less than another - because its worth less. There are reasons behind that that might be major or minor. It's up to you to decide if you like the car, though. I'll also say that I sold a LOADED (leather, sunroof, upgraded sound, heated seats, memory seats, auto, homelink, auto-dim mirror, etc) 2006 Jetta today with 60k on the odometer for $8900. Sure, not the most reliable of cars, but neither is the Hyundai and for my money I'd be looking at something like that.

Did I mention this Jetta was absolutely mint? Gah. So cheap.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
"Saturday night I realized you guys were probably out partying... but... I was already not wearing any pants."
"I told you, nothing good ever happens when you start a story with 'I wasn't wearing any pants.'"
"I know... so I decided to stay home."
"That was probably a wise decision."

Yes these are the actual conversations I have at work. I'm going to be quite sad when my friend leaves.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I have Hyundai. I can't really comment too much as I've had the same model car, and just got the newer version (i30). I bought my first from new (1.4 petrol) and swapped it for a 1.6 diesel.

I love my car. Seriously, its a cheaper brand car, but it comes with great spec compared to other cars in it's class. And it was a LOT cheaper. It doesn't feel cheap though. Not at all. It doesn't look cheap either.

It drives brilliantly, handles well. And feels quicker. My other half likes driving it (and he's the car freak), and if you're comparing to VWs he drove a chipped 25th anniversary edition golf (which was his baby for a long time till he got an estate car lol). He actually thinks it's a good little car :)

I know cars out there are generally bigger, and less economic. But I get 50mpg too, and I don't drive slowly. I don't even know if you have i30's out there, or what you'd compare it too. But whenever I look at changing my car (which we do all the time as I do a crap load of mileage a year) I always always come back to the i30..... I just can't find another car with the spec mine has, for the price. And other cars in the price range feel cheap and ugly.

I prob won't get another though, as I don't like the 'new generation' i30 :(

GingerKid

I know cars out there are generally bigger, and less economic. But I get 50mpg too, and I don't drive slowly. I don't even know if you have i30's out there, or what you'd compare it too. But whenever I look at changing my car (which we do all the time as I do a crap load of mileage a year) I always always come back to the i30..... I just can't find another car with the spec mine has, for the price. And other cars in the price range feel cheap and ugly.

The i30 is equivalent to the the Elantra in the USA and Canada. There are probably a few differences due to different emissions/safety regulations and things.

noludoru

Bored Now.

You don't like the newest body style? I really like the look, and the interior is miles better than the older ones. The US version feels very put together in comparison to the older ones.

And if you like your car, just keep it. If it doesn't have a lot of expensive problems to fix, your regular maintenance and major services will definitely cost you less than buying a new one!

*blackrose

I've had this particular quote series stuck in my head all day. No idea why.

I love Roger. LOL

SpringerLover

Of the four actual "tests" involved in an ESS CHIC number, Gabby has so far 'not-passed' three.

Hips-Moderate Dysplasia bilateral
Elbows-DJD grade 1 on the left
Eyes-inelligible due to PRA

I still need to send in her PRA test. There's no guarantee it will match up with her phenotypical exam, but that's why I need to do it.

So I need to submit blood for her PRA test and for the Databank. And then my dog may be the first dog with a CHIC with all failing results.

Science.

Buzz passed all of his.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yesterday I applied for a job as a legal secretary. Not because I particularly want to do it, but it pays better than I'm making right now, so I might as well go for it.

I feel like there's really nothing here in this town that's actually in the field I want to be in. There's a handful of big companies who will hire graphic designers. I've applied at most of them, the only remaining one I know I actually don't want to work for because they treat their employees horribly. The smaller companies rarely hire, because somebody gets hired there and then never leaves. The last time one was hiring (three+ years ago I think), it was because a guy was retiring. The guy told me he really liked me and he really liked my portfolio, but he hired somebody with more experience instead. The last job I applied for, they really liked me and really liked my portfolio - but they hired somebody with more experience instead. It's the impossible loop... you can't get experience because no one will hire you, and no one will hire you because you don't have experience. The university is impossible because "you can't get hired there unless you know somebody," and even though I knew the person I would have bloody shared an office with and she even talked to them about me... didn't even get an interview. I can't possibly think of how I could "know somebody" more than that.

So if that's the situation I'm in, the only option left is to abandon what I want to do and do something else instead. The problem is, this is what my degree is in. I don't have a degree in, say, nursing. Or computer science. Or accounting. Or, or, or. I don't have a degree in any variety of other things that I would need to get another "real" job. The only thing that's really left is administrative work. Which the pay for that is pretty pitiful too but it's still somehow more than I've ever made working in web and graphic design, because I've been so severely underpaid at every job I've ever had in web and graphic design.

I don't really understand how this happened. My friends all have such cool jobs and awesome things happening in their lives. My co-worker who is leaving just sat there yesterday going "I wonder which colour car I should buy" because his new job is going to pay SO much. And then there's me. Borrowing money from my mom so I can afford to pay my mortgage.
Sometimes I wish I worked in radio again. Not that there's any money in that. But at least it sounded cool when I told people "I work in radio."

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
My failure as a parent has just come and slapped me in the face. while watching a video Hannah says "who is that?"
Me: "WHO is that? That's Michael Jackson"
H: Who?
M: Who? What? how? What? just... WHAT? This is Michael Jackson.

I showed her a performance on youtube.
H: he sounds like a girl
M: UGH you can't say that about Michael Jackson
H: Oh... sorry. so ... how do you know him?
M: He's only my favorite singer/entertainer EVER
H: you mean She?

Me: HE'S NOT A GIRL. Just be quiet and watch
LOL

he conversation turned to the moonwalk and she asked how he knew how to do the moonwalk. I said he INVENTED the moonwalk, he made it. Hannah: can you do the moonwalk?
me: no... I tried to learn but I was never very good at it
H: well never give up. Just keep practicing. We start tomorrow. Get ready

LOL

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Somehow stumbled upon this tonight:

http://thoughtcatalog.com/christine-stockton/2014/03/terrifying-close-encounters-with-creepy-people/

and thought it would be a good idea to read it. Alone. At 1:30 am. In the dark. I'm not usually spooked but OH MAN. Clinging to Paris and trying so hard to sleep!
Oh my gods. I was watching ID last night, and things like this is why I will always have a dog that is at the very least, a good watch dog. Like Roxie. She is perfect. Never goes off at random things (aside from kitty cats) in the window, didn't go off at people passing our sidewalk, but doorbell? Heck yes. Actual suspicious human behavior? Oh hell yes.

Today's been a "Monday". I think I took a benedryl too late last night. I feel like I didn't take my b12 today (I know I did though), and I've just been meh all day. I actually took a nap. I wish I had motivation to do anything.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
Right?! I had the hardest time sleeping so I've been tired all day. Every time I heard a noise outside my window I was all OMG WHO IS BREAKING INTO MY HOUSE. And then it started to thunderstorm.

Members online

No members online now.