The dog musing/vent thread

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer was around a group of the puppies today. 2 toy aussies @ about 7 months and a border collie that is 8 months.

She bit the border collie on the nose. You know... with her gum. She did GREAT with the toy aussies.

I keep telling her we are getting a bigger dog. Both the aussies and the BC were rolling all over themselves trying to appease her. THe BC is kind of a big blundering puppy but she sulked up really cautiously and shyly and then Summer lashed out. She's BIG though and really spastic. And then the aussies jumped all over Summer and she gave one short growl then was fine. The second one she was fine with from the get go. I want to know the magic of how to tell which puppies Summer will like.

I always get worried about adding a new dog, particularly a bigger one. I do think once Summer lays down the rules it'll be fine. She did the same thing to most big dogs but once she gets to know them it's all kisses all over them all the time. I think she's afraid of getting stomped.

I remember being very worried about adding Mia and that worked out great. But I think introducing Mia in the pack with the boys helped. Mia was very preoccupied with playing with Nard and Beau. Sadly my pack right now is two bitchy girls.

Only my dog... Only Angel will lay on a strip of fly paper and get glue in her fur. And of course, since she's TERRIFIED of baths, soaking the glue off wasn't an option. Scrubbing didn't work. I had to resort to shaving her. :wall:

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
When you're in public and your dog poops, but it is runny to the point picking it up is going to be an ordeal...what in the heck are you supposed to do about it? o_O

noludoru

Bored Now.
Blackrose. . . pretend like you're picking something up for a little bit, and then just say you couldn't get the rest if anyone asks. :D

Don't actually pick any up. But knot the bag and such.

Saeleofu

Blackrose. . . pretend like you're picking something up for a little bit, and then just say you couldn't get the rest if anyone asks. :D

Don't actually pick any up. But knot the bag and such.

Pretty much this. If you happen to have a bottle of water on you, and it's not going to only make it worse to do so (I'm picturing a giant diarrhea puddle lol), you can try to rinse it into the grass. But yeah, otherwise...there's not much you CAN do.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Pretty much this. If you happen to have a bottle of water on you, and it's not going to only make it worse to do so (I'm picturing a giant diarrhea puddle lol), you can try to rinse it into the grass. But yeah, otherwise...there's not much you CAN do.
Heh heh ... I used to carry a large bottle with one of those push-down-to-close tops just for that purpose :p

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Two and a half hours of sitting in her crate in the car, whilst waiting for ppl who were looking at the house, and half a knuckle bone later... Roxie threw up food and white goo.

Yippee. Poor girl.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I want to be that person who owns 6 dogs, and does it amazingly. And I want only 1 dog at a time. Life is hard.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Me too, sometimes I am like "yay puppy!" Then others I just want to enjoy my time with Josefina.

But you can only prepare for a puppy so much, like the things they will need and all. It's hard to do anything beyond that since every puppy is different

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
If I could guarantee another puppy like Cobain, I wouldn't hesitate to get one.
He was seriously the easiest puppy ever.

He was quiet, he didn't chew, he housetrained within like a week, he learned commands quickly. He was like an old dog in a puppy body. Honestly, we got to the point where he went to the vet just to make sure he didn't have some sort of damage that made him so placid.

Okay...he did have issues with some chronic diarrhea, but hey I'd rather deal with that than some of the other puppy stuff.

But no. Most puppies have to be such a pain, so I have to wait until I have more time and a house *pouts*

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
I swear my puppy never tires out! And I have a research paper to finish tonight! :eek:

I'm gonna be so glad to be done with university, because my senior year hell week and raising an 11 week old Border Collie is next level. :eek: Four more days!

SpringerLover

I want to be that person who owns 6 dogs, and does it amazingly. And I want only 1 dog at a time. Life is hard.
Living with Bailey makes me only want one dog for dog/dog reasons. Because it's easier and happier and less stress. Living with Gabby and Buzz makes me WANT MORE for dog/dog reasons. Too bad money doesn't rain from the sky and free time is sparse. Gabby says she wants another springer, or a golden retriever.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Riff skinned off a piece of his paw pad. I feel like this happens more often than it should. :/ Luckily it looks to be only the top layer, so it's not bleeding or anything, it's probably just sore. Poor puppy.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Living with Bailey makes me only want one dog for dog/dog reasons. Because it's easier and happier and less stress. Living with Gabby and Buzz makes me WANT MORE for dog/dog reasons. Too bad money doesn't rain from the sky and free time is sparse. Gabby says she wants another springer, or a golden retriever.
Exactly. I don't want to live with my current dogs in a 6 dog household, lol. But all of my future dogs are going to be angels soooo...

(For the record, I'd never have 6 dogs. But like... 3-4 would be fun, as long as we're not thinking about money, hah!)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Blah. I know family means well but still. We met for dinner tonight. Condensed version being sure to hit the highlights. I could tell this was totally rehearsed.

'How's Mia doing.'
'Oh well she's happy but when she gets hot she's having some breathing issues.'
'That is just the problem with purebreds. I swear the AKC is ruining all the dogs. You should get a labradoodle. They have hybrid vigor and lots of energy. They'd love agility. You should go check out ____'s dogs. She has 30-40 puppies a month. But she's not a pupymill at all. She takes good care of them.' And I believe them that she does but still...
'Oh well, I'm really wanting a herding breed. And labradoodles have too much hair.'
'Herding breeds have so much energy. How are you going to keep one of those when you are gone to work? They will eat your house.'
'Well the shelties were fine.'
'WEll shelties are really toned down compared to other herding breed.'
'Maybe I should get a sheltie. I kind of wanted something new.'
'Oh no don't get a sheltie, they're yappy.'
'Well I was looking at mini aussies and border collies.'
'I'm sure the minis will have all the same amount of health problems as you've had with Mia. A border collie will eat your house'
'WEll, I mean... I have a friend with a mix with the same knee issues as Mia. I don't think it's just purebreds.'
'WEll in the horse world most the top horses are mixes.'
'Well in agility most the top dogs are border collies or shelties.'
'A border collie will eat your house though because you work. And shelties are yappy. Ok, I guess it's your money so if you want to spend it on that then it's your choice. But I'm telling you if you buy a purebred you're going to be spending a lot of money on vet bills again. Plus the high purchase price. You could go on vacation or something instead.'

So yeah... apparently the only dog I should get is a labradoodle. I am not suited to anything else. And my decision to get involved in dogs is bad because of money and we should just buy things and go on trips instead.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
30-40 puppies a month?! o_O
Yeppp. This is a family friend by the way. They're all horse people so I DO get that dogs are looked at differently by them and are looked at with the livestock mentality but still... They often have 30-40 puppies on the ground at a time.

*Sigh* I always feel pretty good about my capabilities as a dog owner then have some sort of thing like that happen.

Am I being selfish to think I can handle working full time and a non-sheltie herding breed? Cause apparently they're in their own class and not real herders. But I shouldn't get one cause they yap a lot apparently. And mini aussies are unhealthy. And BCs will eat my house while I'm at work. Even if I run the dog before and after work.

Members online

No members online now.