Rottie people...

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Are Rottie's known to have prey drives?

I just wasn't sure. Pog (roommates Rottie) is fine with Lucas (Large, same-sex neutered male) but goes nuts with Peanut (Pomeranian, same sex neutered male). So are they known for prey drives?

It's not really an important question, but I was curious. :p

Sweet72947

Squishy face
All dogs have prey drives. The amount of drive really depends on the individual dog. I've known some rotties who were great with cats and other small animals, and some who weren't. Rotties were bred to be guard dogs, so I don't think they would have as high of a drive as say, a hound who was bred to hunt things.

ACooper

It could be the way Peanut acts towards Pog more than prey drive. Lucas may be laid back and playful and Peanut may have an 'in your face' 'I am the boss' attitude that Pog doesn't appreciate.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
Whiskey brings out the " prey drive" in most all males. He does give them the in your face I am the boss thing and if they get defensive he backs it up. I think that is the answer there is that Peanut brings it out. Whiskey is a typical ACD and thinks he is Alpha in all situations. Kahlua challenged him for quite some time and their were some good dog scraps in the beginning here but now she tends to submit. Not always though but again this is breed related. She will sometimes goad him into a squabble by taking her ball and beating him in the face with it while he is napping. Again this is an ACD thing they are quite mischievous and anyone who has owned them either will hate the breed or love it. They are in my opinion a##holes with style and I love them to death.

Sunnierhawk0

Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
Like said above, depends on the dog. They were bred for guard and HERDING dogs, so one should expect them to have some drive. One of my girls could care less about what goes on around her as far as other dogs and small animals, and my other girl has a HEAVY drive for toys/small animals. Many a time I am rescuing birds that she has leaped in mid air and caught. I think it depends on the dog & the lines in which they come from, as well as the dog in question.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
It could be the way Peanut acts towards Pog more than prey drive. Lucas may be laid back and playful and Peanut may have an 'in your face' 'I am the boss' attitude that Pog doesn't appreciate.
Whiskey brings out the " prey drive" in most all males. He does give them the in your face I am the boss thing and if they get defensive he backs it up. I think that is the answer there is that Peanut brings it out. Whiskey is a typical ACD and thinks he is Alpha in all situations. Kahlua challenged him for quite some time and their were some good dog scraps in the beginning here but now she tends to submit. Not always though but again this is breed related. She will sometimes goad him into a squabble by taking her ball and beating him in the face with it while he is napping. Again this is an ACD thing they are quite mischievous and anyone who has owned them either will hate the breed or love it. They are in my opinion a##holes with style and I love them to death.
Actually both of you guys are way way off on who's the 'alpha boss' type. Lucas is definetly an Alpha, in your face type dog with other males. So is Pog infact. Both are dominant type males who don't back down to a fight. But Lucas and Pog are both fine with each other, never had any trouble with them. Peanut was scared of the big dogs when we first brought him here, but as long as my grandmother had him he didn't bark and just watched Lucas.

Pog wasn't introduced until recently. Peanut has become much more comfortable with Lucas and larger dogs (met some on a walk of his lol). But Pog saw him and just went nutso. He doesn't do this on walks from what my roommate tells me when the other dog is going by. They weren't introduced at the house or anything, they where introduced at a new place and all of that. Pog got that Look Lucas will get for a cat (extremely focused/alert, crouching trying to run after, that type of thing).

Like said above, depends on the dog. They were bred for guard and HERDING dogs, so one should expect them to have some drive. One of my girls could care less about what goes on around her as far as other dogs and small animals, and my other girl has a HEAVY drive for toys/small animals. Many a time I am rescuing birds that she has leaped in mid air and caught. I think it depends on the dog & the lines in which they come from, as well as the dog in question.
All dogs have prey drives. The amount of drive really depends on the individual dog. I've known some rotties who were great with cats and other small animals, and some who weren't. Rotties were bred to be guard dogs, so I don't think they would have as high of a drive as say, a hound who was bred to hunt things.
I was talking about in general, is the breed known for a good prey drive. So Rottweilers bred to standard, are they known to have good prey drives. I'm talkikng like Siberian Husky's are very well known most have prey drives. See what I mean? As a breed, how strong a prey drive are they known for?

Ladychaos

Has the siamese disease
Well rottweilers were used as cattle droving dogs so I really think they could have high prey drive. But I think it isn't anywhere near comparible to a sibe's prey drive. They are pretty laid back, my friend's rottie adores cats and bunnies. And the neighbor's doberman apache and his pit bull cherokee adored rabbits! and the doberman's are supposed to have high prey drive. I've seen sibes licking kittens so I really do think it depends on the individual dog. Breed general I don't think rotts have high prey drive.

Toller_08

My Rotties were/are pretty prey driven. Not overly, but it was definitely there. Morgan isn't overly trustworthy around small dogs unattended because of it.

R

RedyreRottweilers

In my personal experience, most Rottweilers I have known have had medium to strong prey drive. There are some who have extreme prey drive. (I have one).

I have had one who had very little.

Members online