It's getting colder...

...which means fall training season has officially begun for my 2005/2006 dogsled racing season!!!! Currently my lead dog Ronin is still on vacation with his owners but he'll be home in a couple days and I haven't gotten in touch with Nakota's owner yet nor have I talked to my mushing mentor lately which means OC has been the centre of my training right now. Things will change quickly once I get the team together again though. I've been getting him out on the scooter almost every other night that has reached 15C or lower (any higher would be too hot for him to run). My training rig is still in summer storage at my daddy's friend's farm but he'll be bringing that back soon for me. It'll be put back in storage again once there's enough snow for sledding. I can't wait for racing this year!!!! I'm really crossing my fingers that there will be enough snow so no races get canceled or turned into demos like what happened frequently last year but we shall see.

Here are a couple pics of me and OC scootering (taken earlier this year at Manitoulin Island - it had COLD mornings up there!)

What OC loves to do after a good run...

Richie12345

That must be so much fun!!! lol, I recently found out Cooper was a good puller. I grabbed my skateboard and took him out for a walk a couple hours ago hoping that he would just stay by my side. Nope. He sprinted, pulling the leash, making me go like 10 miles per hour! lol, it was so cute.

btw, I love the last pic, how fast do you go? Can't even see him!

keyodie

Keyozilla
that looks like so much fun!! He must be having a great time! I LOVE the pic where he's sleeping. He's so cute!

Richie, please don't let Cooper pull you yet, especially if he's only wearing a collar, he's WAY too young and you could severely injure him!!!! He shouldn't be pulling until he's at least 8-10months old and if you're going to be pulling on hard surfaces such as pavement you must wait until he's at least 1year. His frame is far too delicate yet.

With just OC pulling we average about 10-16km/hr with the whole team we average 19-20km/hr because the whole team keeps up a good run, OC by himself usually does a quick trot

Thanks for the compliments everyone!!!

Richie12345

oc_spirit said:
Richie, please don't let Cooper pull you yet, especially if he's only wearing a collar, he's WAY too young and you could severely injure him!!!! He shouldn't be pulling until he's at least 8-10months old and if you're going to be pulling on hard surfaces such as pavement you must wait until he's at least 1year. His frame is far too delicate yet.

With just OC pulling we average about 10-16km/hr with the whole team we average 19-20km/hr because the whole team keeps up a good run, OC by himself usually does a quick trot

Thanks for the compliments everyone!!!
I know I know, I said to myself that I wouldn't bring my skateboard on the next walk. I was hoping he would just walk right by me :) but he got excited

oriondw

user not active
Im afraid to ride a bike/sled with my dog on the leash.

He runs at same speeds or faster then a grey hound and is much more powerful. ( in a straight line)

Once he saw deer pack and pulled toward them, I left a nice black marks on asphalt as he pulled with me sliding on my shoes :eek:

But he's a sprinter, he'll pull for 100-200m, then he'll get bored and stop :p

That's good Richie :)

Orion, it takes a lot of training to creat a good sled dog especially a leader since you have to rely on that one (or two) dog(s) to take all of your commands without a second guess and force the team to follow them. You can't just stick any dog up front and let them go ?(unless you're suicidal! LOL)

oriondw

user not active
oc_spirit said:
That's good Richie :)

Orion, it takes a lot of training to creat a good sled dog especially a leader since you have to rely on that one (or two) dog(s) to take all of your commands without a second guess and force the team to follow them. You can't just stick any dog up front and let them go ?(unless you're suicidal! LOL)
Yeah :D

Members online

No members online now.