Summer's somewhat surprising nosework debut

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I know you're probably all tired of the nosework threads. :p But I figure mia gets all the love sometimes. And well... Summer's a good girl too.

Summer had her very first nosework class tonight. To start things off I should explain that I've been telling all the nosework folks and my instructor that Summer is not going to be nearly as talented as Mia. In my head I had pictured Summer sitting there next to the containers and staring at me blankly before going into 101 things to do with a box.

It went much better than that. Her first round out the gate she picked up the game and she actually did very well!

I may have mentioned around here though that Summer is a slightly neurotic little dog. She's a good dog but she's a little bit weird. One of her oddities popped up very apparently in nosework, which was interesting to me from a behavioral point. Summer circles. A lot. Mostly when she's excited or when she's nervous. It always counter-clockwise and usually around something. In agility it displays as her circling the instructor and I after our runs. At home it displays as her circling the couch.

The first round in I notice Summer circling the containers. One container circle circle. Next container circle. Circle circle circle. She is continuing to search while she does this. It is interesting though to see that behavior show up in a whole new area.

But she had fun and she was pretty good. She's not nearly as serious as Mia is about working. A lot less focused and scatterbrained. do I go sprint over there and say hi to the people? Look for the treats? Oooh climb all the boxes? She was like a papillon sized bull shooting through the boxes and knocking them everywhere.

My instructor even had the gall to say 'She really reminds me of Mia' :rofl1: I think the two of them are more alike than I give them credit for.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Well it is her very first time... :p

Summer is full of surprises :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Haha yes but once Mia figured out the game though she was all serious business. I think it's just the fact that Mia is so much more intense of a dog than Summer.

But yes, I was pleasantly surprised.

Members online

No members online now.