American Bashkir Curlies

Just curious who has experience with this breed of horse? I've always had a fondness for them and recently started excercising a herd of about 8 of them for a lady who breeds the Sporthorse variety of curlies. They're sooooooo cute!!!!! She has 1 baby right now who is about 6-7 months old. A little palomino filly. She has fur exactly like a standard poodle! lil tiny curls all over! The adults are almost done shedding their winter coats so they have much shorter hair now with just a slight wave to it. Their mane and tails remain curly year round though! I find them absolutely facinating. Very calm and laid back on the ground but get on their back and they're ready for anything! My interest in them has definitely been peaked! I'll get pictures for you guys on Monday!

bubbatd

I've been out of horses for too long !! Anxious for pictures !!!

BostonBanker

There used to be (maybe still is?) a farm not far from me that bred them. Definitely not sporthorse type though - almost drafty looking ones. I drove by a few times to see them, but never interacted with the horses at all. Very cool looking though! I was fascinated by the breed for a while because I heard they were better for people with allergies (Ponydoodles?), but my trainer at the time was very A-circuit huntery, and NOT impressed by my idea of getting one! I'm excited to see the pictures.

BB, yes most curlies are more draft-like (it is theorized their ancestry includes QH and mustang although no one really knows where they came from) but they have in recent years been bred to have a sport horse type as well for the people who prefer their warmbloods but suffer with allergies. They are hypo-allergenic as the coat type doesn't hang on to dust and dander as much as the normal coat does. Of course one curly in a barn of regular horses one won't notice much of a difference with their allergies. But a whole barn of just curlies is a different story.

Curly coat in the bashkirs is a dominant gene but you can find the gene in other breeds as a recessive gene (some gaited breeds and Mustangs carry it). I thought that little tidbit that I learned was really fascinating! When you outcross a curlie to another breed there is a 50/50 chance of getting a curly foal.

GoingNowhere

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. I've only met one, though - but he's as sweet as can be. I've never seen him freak out, he just seems to have a very stable disposition.

They were and still are, one of my favorite breeds. I would love to see pictures of the ones you work with.

Plus, they're interesting, because I've heard that many people who are allergic to horses aren't bothered by curlies.

Going, yes they are very very stable placid creatures. Their temperment reminds me a lot of draft horses or Walkers. Just very calm and laid back but ready to go as soon as you ask them! Now, that being said I didnt get pictures last week because I ended up having a disagreement with the Stud (he's only ever been ridden by the owner and the mares in the paddock next to us were in heat...lil bugger managed to buck me off >_<) and he broke my finger LOL But I swear they are very laid back! hahaha He let me handle him no problem and he still let me get right back on and we figured out whos who and whats what. After that I switched horses and went for a 3 hr hack,then drove an hour home, popped in to my family doctor only to get confirmed that yes indeed my finger is broken *sigh* But I will get pictures ASAP

Members online

No members online now.