RD - Emergency Down ??

Brattina88

I was wondering how you went about training Dakota to do this??

I have an idea, and an article. but I just wanted some good ole Chaz advice & experiences :)

RD

Are you dead yet?
I gave Dakota a new phrase to associate with the action of lying down. I would say the words (I use "hit the deck" and a whistle for long distances) and give him the typical hand signal for "down" shortly after saying the words. Dakota eventually began anticipating the down signal after hearing the words, and would start lying down when I said the words instead of waiting for the signal. That's when I eliminated the signal. Once he was reliably giving the correct response to only the words, I began reinforcing only for the speediest of responses. I only gave this command once or twice a day, at completely random times. For the first couple weeks I kept it to mildly distracting situations to ensure success. I gradually built up the amount of time he needed to stay in the down position to be released. After I was confident that he'd perform it under most circumstances, I moved on to moderate/strong distractions.

Reinforcement was a BIG deal. I made sure that every time he responded to the command, he got a full 60+ seconds of enthusiastic praise, treats and/or tug, then he got to do whatever he wanted. He learned that this command is the signal for a "jackpot", and would go down and stay down until I approached him to give him his reward. I always made sure to go to him to release him, rather than calling him off, that way he won't ever anticipate a recall and break his stay. In several "close call" situations I've released him by giving a recall command, but in practice I never do.

It requires a little bit of upkeep, I still practice the command every few days, usually before I feed him a meal. I'll set him up in a distracting situation and if he downs, he gets fed immediately. Overall it was a really easy command to teach and has been a lifesaver on three different occasions. :)

T

tessa_s212

Trust me! It comes in handy!

Cocoa knows it. And if she sees a cat or squirrel and decides she might try to chase it, all I have to do is yell "DOWN!!!" and she hits the ground until I go pick her up. Its probably saved her life many times considering how cars like to speed down our road after school(kids going to baseball practice because the field is behind my house).

Don't know how to teach it to Marq though. He still barely knows down. (Big dog, deep chested, little hair = HATES the down command.)

BostonBanker

I don't get what you are talking about?
The emergency down is a command that means "Whatever you are doing right now, drop to the ground and stay there until I tell you to get up." Like RD said, it can be an absolute lifesaver.

I need to go back to working on Meg's. She was doing great for a while when we were really practicing, but now that I've been slacking, it's gotten slow (go figure, huh?).

T

tessa_s212

Dulce, I provided an example further up the page.

For me, my dogs LOVE to chase anything small and fast. (ie:squirrels, rabbits, cats) If they try to take off on me, I can just command the emergency down("DOWN!!" for me) and I can go retrieve them off the ground.

One time at an agility trial a BIG aggressive dog got loose from its owner and came charging after my dog who was IN the ring just getting ready to begin the weaves. I saw it coming, so I commanded Tip "DOWN" while I grabbed the dog and drug it right back over to its owner.

I am sure there are tons of other ways this can be helpful.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Dulce: Whenever it's an urgent situation and you need your dog to FREEZE.

Dakota's scariest incident with it was when he was doing some goose work. There is a small private road in front of the yacht club's beach, and Dakota needed to cross it in order to get to the geese. I told him to go and he took off at full speed, just as some IDIOT in a corvette came screeching around the corner (10mph speed limit there; this guy was easily going 50) I yelled the emergency down command and Dakota, even though he was in high gear and locked onto the geese, slammed on the brakes and hit the ground just as that moron sped by. If he'd have kept running, that moron would've killed him.

edit: Btw, Tessa, as far as the down with Marq goes . . . Most of the greyhounds I know don't like to sit or down either. The "sighthound lady" I know just teaches her dogs to freeze in a stand position.

Members online

No members online now.