antifreeze for AC spilled

My neighbor's AC unit is in my backyard and the company was here today to do winter maintenance on it. The man working on it spilled a chemical (which he said is like antifreeze for the coils in the AC) all over the unit and on the ground around it. :mad:

He said that dogs are attracted to the smell and taste and not to let the dog out for 2 hours. He tried to clean it up with the hose but the more he sprayed it the more it bubbled up.

Does anyone know anything about this stuff? I can’t remember the exact name of the chemical, but it starts with an N if that helps. I don’t trust the 2 hours thing. When it dries up, will it still be poisonous?

bubbatd

You're wise to be concerned and cautious .Hope someone has more input !

Last edited:
B

Bobsk8

My neighbor's AC unit is in my backyard and the company was here today to do winter maintenance on it. The man working on it spilled a chemical (which he said is like antifreeze for the coils in the AC) all over the unit and on the ground around it. :mad:

He said that dogs are attracted to the smell and taste and not to let the dog out for 2 hours. He tried to clean it up with the hose but the more he sprayed it the more it bubbled up.

Does anyone know anything about this stuff? I can’t remember the exact name of the chemical, but it starts with an N if that helps. I don’t trust the 2 hours thing. When it dries up, will it still be poisonous?
I would call the EPA and complain.

Jynx

antifreeze can kill a dog, and yes they are attracted to it because apparently it is "sweet" tasting. they can suffer a horrible death if ingested.

I would worry about it to,,hosing it down may just dilute it and I can't honestly say what the consequences of ingesting it diluted would do, but I know I wouldn't want my animals anywhere near it or the area..

A thought, but again I have no idea if or what this would do, wonder if you could pour bleach over the area?

I guess I'd check with a local vet on how to get rid of affected area properly and what to use if anything
Diane

Absolutely do not let your dogs - or any other animal - near it. The stuff is truly deadly. If it were me, I'd dig up the affected area, put the debris in a box and dump it at the office of the maintenance company. ;)

not sure about your state, but in california they have replaced ethylene glycol with a different substance. The Glycol is what makes the Anti freeze sweet.

We've got 5 trucks/suv's 5 motorcycles and a quad... So I'm always covered in anti freeze when working on the radiators or getting them ready for winter. I havent had any negative signs from contact yet... Although i do hear voices and see pink elephants... that might be from other things in the past though ahha

Check this link out

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/antifreeze.html

Cybill

I would be very nervous about that! You raised a good question about the effects after it has had a chance to dry, but I sure would think it would take longer than two hours to dry completely. Even then, what might happen? Scary thought. I'd be kinda nervous about pouring bleach on it without knowing what this really is for sure. Some things just don't mix well with bleach and could cause an undesirable effect. I would dig that area up or put wire fencing around it.

Doberluv

I agree with Bob. They should call the EPA. Putting bleach or any other chemical on it, I don't think is a good idea. Mixing agents can cause disasterous results when you don't know what they might do together. That company should definitely be responsible for getting it cleaned up. I'd certainly complain to the hazardous waste authorities or whomever..... I sure hope they're careful with their dogs. Someone's cat could wander over and get killed or a bird. It's just awful that it was left like that.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
If there are similar EPA regulations in your state like there are in ours, that AC guy would be in deep doo doo, particularly if he is not licensed to handle antifreeze or any similar agents. And if he is licensed, he should know better.

Okay so I found out, after calling poison control and the AC company, that the chemical was something called NuBrite coil cleaner. The guy said "it's just like anitfreeze" but I'm not sure how true that is now. It is still toxic to dogs though.

Tomorrow I'll be calling the company who makes it so I can hopefully get some accurate information. And from now on there will be a lock on my gate...too bad if their AC breaks again and I'm not home to let them back there :)

kalija

I would still be raising heck with that company. They should have to clean it up or pay to have it done. The soil should be removed and replaced by them. I agree - call the EPA if they refuse to take responsibility.

I would still be raising heck with that company. They should have to clean it up or pay to have it done. The soil should be removed and replaced by them. I agree - call the EPA if they refuse to take responsibility.
When I called the company they said that what happened was a "normal" part of the coil cleaning process and the guy was just being nice by letting me know it was out there because he could hear the dog barking at him from inside the house and didn't want me to let her out :rolleyes:

moonchild1970

Designated Ball Thrower
Sounds errisponsible as hell, not to mention dangerous to the enviroment, and wildlife(as well as pets)!! Sounds to me like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I mean how hard can it be to clean up, or at least for them to put some **** kitty litter over it, so that a family doesn't lose a much loved pet?! Poisoning from that stuff, causes an animal ALOt of suffering!!

Members online

No members online now.