Im kind Of Thinking about breeding

Kenzie

Jenn

JennSLK said:
I know it's hard to show. Here it is 10points to finish and you need one major. I am planning on sticking to the small shows to start, and hey you never know were I might get. Yes I will aim for the national specalty, but if I dont get there I whont be heart broken. If I need to I will get a pro to handle, I am willing to do that, but I do want to handle as well. By small shows I mean local ones, with like 1200 - 1500 dogs, not hug prize money CH only type shows. You know what I mean?

I just want to learn, thats all. And have fun doing it
To become a Conformation Champion, your dog must earn at least 10 points under at least three different judges and have earned at least one 2-point win, either at the breed or group level. Your dog must also be individually registered with the CKC or have an Event Registration Number.

doberkim

Naturally Natural
Gwinnywillow said:
Doberkim....since I have been out of Dobes for many years, could you enumerate some of the finer specimens alive today that you feel that are good enough representatives of the breed to be worthy of breeding? That would make it unnecessary to go to Europe to get decent conformation? Thank you!
alternatively, can you point me to one european doberman with wonderful structure, longetivity in the pedigree, and thorough health testing? :)

i think there are quite a few dobermans in the US that are largely american bred (understanding that american lines ALL go backt european imports) - that are "total" dobermans - these dogs have proper structure, these dogs have proper temperament, and the dogs are titled on both ends - both in conf. and working events. the dogs are thoroughly health tested and come from breeders who are honest and share the results of their health testing.

there are some lovely looking european dogs - however, even in europe there are "working lines" and "show lines" - however, i have found with almost ALL of them, their health testing ends at hips and eyes - and that doesn't suit my needs. in fact, i have grown quite dissatisfied with the assertation that DCM in dobes is an american disease.

i think its disingenuous to try to say that european breeders are any "better" than american ones - they focus on different things, but in the end the dogs are dying of the same diseases, and have their own structural issues (cow hocks, bowling ball fronts, lack of underjaw) - just being able to bite doesnt make it better.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
To become a Conformation Champion, your dog must earn at least 10 points under at least three different judges and have earned at least one 2-point win, either at the breed or group level. Your dog must also be individually registered with the CKC or have an Event Registration Number.
Thank You. I couldnt remember off the top of my head. No name will be CKC reg of course

doberkim said:
alternatively, can you point me to one european doberman with wonderful structure, longetivity in the pedigree, and thorough health testing? :)

i think there are quite a few dobermans in the US that are largely american bred (understanding that american lines ALL go backt european imports) - that are "total" dobermans - these dogs have proper structure, these dogs have proper temperament, and the dogs are titled on both ends - both in conf. and working events. the dogs are thoroughly health tested and come from breeders who are honest and share the results of their health testing.

there are some lovely looking european dogs - however, even in europe there are "working lines" and "show lines" - however, i have found with almost ALL of them, their health testing ends at hips and eyes - and that doesn't suit my needs. in fact, i have grown quite dissatisfied with the assertation that DCM in dobes is an american disease.

i think its disingenuous to try to say that european breeders are any "better" than american ones - they focus on different things, but in the end the dogs are dying of the same diseases, and have their own structural issues (cow hocks, bowling ball fronts, lack of underjaw) - just being able to bite doesnt make it better.

I have no info on any particular dogs. I just know that many breeders will often turn to Europe....especially it seems England, to open up the gene pool in some breeds.

I asked you about current Dobes so I could look them up and see what is out there. Since you are not so inclined.......so be it. I do not even know any names of "top dogs" these days. To me, dogs like Ch. Elfred's Sparkplug, and Ch. Elfred's The President, or Ch. Dobergal's Man Of The Year were darned nice example's of what a Dobe should and could look like. But hey, that goes back 20 years, lol. Guess I am an old foggie officially now.

Now that my curiosity has been tweaked I shall start watching the Dobes again at the shows, and on TV show broadcasts.

I gave up any thoughts of breeding Dobes after cardiomyopathy killed Luka, and after vWD became known. Just too many insidious things that can kill these wonderful dogs. Too much heartache.

I believe I read somewhere that cardio was introduced by one of the original seven sires.....can't think of his name.....think it was something Apolda???? Shocked the heck out of me!!!!!!

Such wonderful dogs. Such a shame.

Kenzie said:
Yeah, that is true here--I forgot....the two majors must be under two different judges, and I think you must have had at least 3 judges from whom you won points. The problem here is the scale of points needed in some of the bigger breeds. In some breeds you only need 5 other dogs to win a 3 point major. And in other breeds you need 20!!!!!!

I had a dog that went to 3 shows, and came back with 3 majors---two 3 pointers, and a 4 pointer. A month later she won a 5 pointer and went BOB! She ended up ranked #5 in her breed, and #5 Toy for that month. Shocked the heck out of me, rofl. Of course, she did not need 20 other little beasts for the majors.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Redyre: She does look very nice! Very solid stance from what I can tell. I wish handlers though would ease up on the collar line, I hate it when they pull the dog's neck and mouth back in an attempt to pull the dog into a "proud look".

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
RedyreRottweilers said:
We aren't trying to bash you Jenn, just share our experience.

I bought my first show prospect in 1990. She was a good bitch, not a great one. Her bite went off, and she was long in body, so I chose not to use her. I used her sister instead. She was major pointed with all health testing. I sent her to a dog who had been #1 the previous year, was producing VERY nicely, and whose pedigree matched up with hers very well. The entire litter was riddled with health and temperament issues. A complete dead end.

In 1995 I purchased another bitch at age 6 months. She was stone cold gorgeous. However, her temperament left a lot to be desired. I tried to breed her once, she could not conceive. She always had season issues, split heats, varied intervals. She had cystic ovaries and would never have conceived. Another (expensive) dead end.

In 2002 I acquired an import bitch. Bred her to a nice young CH dog. She had an ER section, ruptured her uterus ending her breeding career, and I ended up with no surviving puppies. She is spayed and will live out her life here as my adored pet.

I made an agreement to purchase my middle bitch before she was born.

She is from CH parents with all health testing, and generations of top producers. Her sire has produced numerous BIS and BISS winning get. Her dam is down from one of the finest bitches EVER in my breed, and she is linebred on this bitch.

She is elbow dysplastic and homely. She will live out her life here with me as another adored pet.

In 2004 I acquired Penny. Things look pretty bright for her in the ring, but it certainly remains to be seen what will happen with her in the whelping box.

I wish you much better luck, but many of us know how crushingly difficult it can be to come across that bitch that you not only can be successful with in the show ring, but who has what it takes to build a breeding program on.

It's only taken me, what.....let's see.....17 years.

;)
Red i actually admire how devoted you are to your dogs and your breed, good luck with penny!

doberkim

Naturally Natural
Gwinnywillow said:
I have no info on any particular dogs. I just know that many breeders will often turn to Europe....especially it seems England, to open up the gene pool in some breeds.
i actually cant think of many breeders at all using any english lines - doug matson imported a natural eared red male from the UK that finished, and nancy c imported jack, but i cant really think of any other breeders using english lines much - i can think of some working breeders that use working lines from europe, but most are german/czech, etc.

I asked you about current Dobes so I could look them up and see what is out there. Since you are not so inclined.......so be it. I do not even know any names of "top dogs" these days. To me, dogs like Ch. Elfred's Sparkplug, and Ch. Elfred's The President, or Ch. Dobergal's Man Of The Year were darned nice example's of what a Dobe should and could look like. But hey, that goes back 20 years, lol. Guess I am an old foggie officially now.
im not going to hold up one breeder over another on a public website, but there are many dogs that meet the standard wonderfully - if you want to look at them, simply look at the TT from the DPCA website and you can see some wonderful examples of standard dobermans. some of them even come from breeders who embrace the entire aspect of the doberman including working ability! id gladly mention some that i love in private...

I gave up any thoughts of breeding Dobes after cardiomyopathy killed Luka, and after vWD became known. Just too many insidious things that can kill these wonderful dogs. Too much heartache.
im sorry you lost a dog - are you talking about Ch amulet's luka of sno-glenn CD? (or was your dog luka too?) either way, i am sorry - i am currently living with a dobe with DCM, he is 2 years past diagnosis and doing well so far (knock on wood).

Such wonderful dogs. Such a shame.
nomatter what continent they come from, that statement i can agree with - its a shame. but i adore them and will never be without one!

Doberkim--I was not referring only to Dobes about bringing in dogs from England. There are several of the Hound breeds and Toy breeds that have been helped with bringing in dogs from England. You are right about the Dobes.......and I am sorry for the confusion. From the little I have seen of English Dobes, to express my opinion openly, they are horrible!!!!! I have seen one or two pictures of dogs I would take home with me, but for the most part they are lacking in substance and have awful heads. Now, for a pet, I would take anyone of them, but if I were interested in improving a bloodline I would look elsewhere.

My last Dobe died in 1998, at the age of 13. It left a big hole in my life. I just lost another 13 year old dog last week. He has left another huge hole in my life. But that is the nature of dogs.....they never live long enough!

I wasn't looking for anyone to tout any particular kennel......I was mainly curious about the names of the dogs being widely shown these days. I was curious to see if I could find some pictures and see what they look like. I don't watch very many dog shows on TV anymore. I will have to set my TIVO to record some.

I think if I ever were foolish enough to give into temptation to breed again, I would get a nice Chihuahua. Them I could handle, heheh.

I am not sure of Luka's full name, but he was owned by Linda Krukar (sp). She did her best to hide how Luka died, but an acquaintance of mine was a good friend of both her and Betty Clark, and Linda let slip what had happened. It devastated my friend who had a puppy out of Luka's first litter. She got her bitch spayed immediately after Luka died.
Darned shame all the way around. The pity goes to those who love this wonderful breed that is so plagued by problems.

Members online

No members online now.