Anyone conceal carry?

milos_mommy

I certainly hope no one thought I was implying I thought anyone who conceal carries is a paranoid nutjob. I was seriously wondering if it was more of a hobby type thing (and I do know people who keep guns as a "in case of zombie apocalypse" or violent revolution....and they're not nuts, either. They don't realistically think these are likely or even plausible situations, they just think it's a fun sort of hobby to be prepared and plan for it.)

I live in an area with an extremely low crime rate - but I do frequently enough go to areas with higher crime rate, including walking to and from a subway station multiple times a week on a street where 9 women were raped (by the same man) in one night. I've always felt perfectly safe with lesser weapons of defense (mace, typically), situational awareness, etc. I can't imagine that for me, personally, a gun would make me feel safer. I was just curious if anyone regularly/occasionally got put into situations where they felt they'd use a gun for protection.

Amber, I'm just curious, the night that a man approached you while you were walking Bamm - Would you have been walking in that area, alone, without Bamm? And also, do you think something like mace, a taser, or carrying an umbrella or something wouldn't dissuade him from approaching? I was grabbed by a man twice (once at a party full of people, so not really a dangerous situation) and once in an empty subway station (a situation that I KNEW was a poor choice before I got myself into it and felt very unsettled by it but still stayed instead of doing the smart thing) and both times, just swinging at the men got them to let go and back off. Even if they DIDN'T let go right away, I don't believe not having a gun put me in seriously more danger - I don't doubt the mace would get them away (aside from the fact not being a moron would have saved me from the situation in the first place).

*I didn't share that last anecdote to imply no one needs to carry a gun for protection, just throwing my own experience out there.

joce

I have seen how very little tasers do on the determined. Stupid things to carry. Made is even dumber.

Can't have guns on the property at work which of course is in the hood so I don't carry.

We like to shoot. It's a hobby. Have a lot of guns. No go bag though lol. I'd have a heart attack thinking about what to pack and I'd go on a horse. Gas is running out at some point. :rofl1:

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
What are people expecting to happen that might warrant a survival pack?
In certain areas natural disasters are a real threat--look at Katrina for example. People who were still in the city were basically in their own for a while without government assistance. In the US nearly every kind of natural disaster you can think of is in the realm of reality--hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, wild fires, floods, tidal waves, volcanoes, massive blizzards, etc. Having a disaster kit isn't a paranoid thing, it's actually recommend by most state governments, especially after Katrina.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Detainment, biological attack, economy crash, etc...
Wow.... I think I live in a very different world...

In certain areas natural disasters are a real threat--look at Katrina for example. People who were still in the city were basically in their own for a while without government assistance. In the US nearly every kind of natural disaster you can think of is in the realm of reality--hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, wild fires, floods, tidal waves, volcanoes, massive blizzards, etc. Having a disaster kit isn't a paranoid thing, it's actually recommend by most state governments, especially after Katrina.
This is reasonable. We don't have disasters like that here. Just rain, and damp, and wind and drabness.

9.0 earthquakes 100 miles off the coast. 7.0 inland, where up to 20 years ago, no one believed an earthquake over 5 could happen. Blizzards and hurricanes.

Less so guns than food and water here. Not much to shoot after the first few squirrels, and research has showed that in a disaster people are usually pretty well behaved. A gun might be nice, but I'm thinking a revolver would work as well as an AR in a lot of places.

In a flood you go higher, tornadoes destroy a small area so help can be fairly quick coming. Major earthquakes or major blizzards though, you may be on your own for a while.

DJEtzel

Wow.... I think I live in a very different world...
Probably. My boyfriend and I are both very anti-government, and we're waiting for them to try to take away the rest of our rights... because we're not going to be detained for resisting and we're not going to hand over our guns, etc.

Just... different strokes, ya know? I don't expect anyone to understand the things we think and feel, I just ask for a little respect about everyone's opinions, because I know ours are "out there". We don't feel they're unrealistic at all. (not say you or anyone else here are disrespecting opinions/each other, just a general note I add when talking about this type of thing). :)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I want to live the good life.

You won't get that unless you like 1970s British sitcoms ;)

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Probably. My boyfriend and I are both very anti-government, and we're waiting for them to try to take away the rest of our rights... because we're not going to be detained for resisting and we're not going to hand over our guns, etc.

Just... different strokes, ya know? I don't expect anyone to understand the things we think and feel, I just ask for a little respect about everyone's opinions, because I know ours are "out there". We don't feel they're unrealistic at all. (not say you or anyone else here are disrespecting opinions/each other, just a general note I add when talking about this type of thing). :)
So out of curiosity, how do you think the above situation would come about and what would your response be? Not criticizing, just genuinly want to know....

DJEtzel

So out of curiosity, how do you think the above situation would come about and what would your response be? Not criticizing, just genuinly want to know....
Oh there are so many theories to list... Gun bans, mandatory vaccinating, forced moves for agenda 21, a fatal virus being given to Americans, a currency crash and burn, more false flag attacks.. Just about anything can send us into a state of emergency so that all the rules are changed.

Our response is going to be to evade/flee and take our ruck sacks and head southwest in winter or north in summer. We can live out of them permanently given decent weather for the region.

My boyfriend and I are both very anti-government, and we're waiting for them to try to take away the rest of our rights... because we're not going to be detained for resisting and we're not going to hand over our guns, etc.
Why would the government need to take everyone's guns for some sort of conspiracy? The US government probably already has the technology to decimate anyone with any type of gun. People should be advocating for reform and greater transparency in their government, if they are worried about such things, IMO. :)

DJEtzel

Why would the government need to take everyone's guns for some sort of conspiracy? The US government probably already has the technology to decimate anyone with any type of gun. People should be advocating for reform and greater transparency in their government, if they are worried about such things, IMO. :)
You can advocate all you want. The government is not going to change anything because we want it.

The government wants to take our rights away. And they want to see how willingly we will let them.

I have flashlights, batteries, extra food, etc. in case of an emergency. However, I personally think it's possible to go overboard with preparing. You can't prepare for every type of situation out there. Some disasters are very rare events. Others are more common.

LauraLeigh

It's funny, I am a gun owner, was totally opposed to our long gun registry, but I never really thought about the fact that all during the extended time I've spent in NC/ TN and Virginia... I was likely at the local grocery store or Wal Mart with people around me carrying... It kinda feels strange to me..... To think that many armed people are shopping with me.... Must be a cultural difference and I don't see many huge differences between Canada and the US...

That said I am not saying I want anyone's rights taken away at all... Just that this thread made me think of it, and I'm not totally sure how I feel about it..

Members online

No members online now.