Not good news for Missy

Brattina88

:(
A couple of you already know this from Facebook or texting, but I guess it's time to share on here...

Missy, my parents GSD, the one a practically grew up with - we've shared so much together and we're really close. She helped me a lot and I was sick and even tried to trigger my tremors... She's my best friend, and guardian angel, especially when she protected me from the flasher at the park :eek:

She's been wobbly and stumbling, my mom took her to the vet and they said arthritis. I dog-sat for a week and it was obvious to me that it wasn't arthritis and it was something neuro related... So it's gotten worse, more wobbly and back end collapsing, legs crossing, just losing control. I urged my mom to take her in when I could go.

Friday I had half a day off of work, I had an eye appt and my Mom made an appt for Missy, which we pushed back so I could go. Like a dork, with sunglasses on the whole time becausey eyes hurt like a *+*^*. I told the vet how I flipped her back feet over, and she did not fix them. He did many the tests I did, and a few more, wants to send her to OSU for more tests (x-rays, MRI, etc) but told me I was spot on

Degenerative Myelopathy, and probably arthritis on top of it. He's really concerned about her right hip as well, may be a touch of HD as well :( it's so hard to watch my strong beautiful loyal baby like this... :( BUT she's still running around eating and playing, he doesn't think she's in any pain just losing control.

So, thoughts and vibes are appreciated. I know my parents can't afford to do anything extreme and when it gets worse, my dad will have her put down :(
But she's had a good life and she's an AMAZING dog, my pound puppy <3

Pic for good measure :)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Oh no... it's so tough when they start getting older. VIBES she will get some pain management and feel better and stick around for longer than you expect!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
She and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. (((((((HUGS)))))))

Cardiparty

I am so sorry to hear this. How awful!

While I don't know German Shepherds well, in our breed DM is not a death sentence and is not thought to be a painful disease, unlike IVDD which is painful.

They do make carts for dogs who are unable to use their back legs, and arthritis can be helped with glucosimine and chondroiten supplements.

Perhaps with the right combination of treatment, the old girl will have years yet to live a good life. *hugs*

Sparrow

I am so sorry. There are carts that can do wonders for dogs with DM - keeping them mobile for longer, and even helping them with support for all four legs, not just the back.

How much does she weigh? Bigger dogs can take Metacam in pill form, making it much less expensive to manage arthritis than, say Rimadyl. That's what Zoe (85lbs) is on, along with Tramadol, and it isn't very expensive. She also gets a high dose of fish oil, and I think it helps her joints.

She sounds like an amazing girl, and no matter how fast things progress, she has had a great life and will continue to do so for as long as she can.

Brattina88

I wanted to post a little update on Missy.

She doesn't seem to be in any pain, which makes sense because DM doesn't cause pain itself. So that has been a blessing in itself.

She's taking vitamins, fish oil (with Vit E), aminocroic acid 2x a day, and a joint supplement. However, it has not seemed to slow down or help her symptoms at all. It's been 3 short months and she's really struggling to stand at times... She falls over, needs help, but she still wants to play :) but she gets very... Embarrassed, or you could call it stressed, when she falls repeatedly or struggles too much. It's very heart wrenching.

Unfortunately for Missy and my parents, stairs are a very unavoidable part of everyday life. A wheelchair or cart really wouldn't be feasible for them. There are stairs to go outside/inside, 3 steps from the landing to the kitchen, a small step from kitchen to dining room, and stairs to go upstairs where everyone sleeps at night. I showed my mom the towel-trick. Right now, she needs it only occasionally... Once Missy gets going the back legs are on autopilot and she's okay. But she needs help to get going, though. Outside is worse, though. Perhaps the cold makes it worse. Secretly, my mom talked to me the other night. She's really worried that Missy will continue to deteriorate and won't make it past winter :( :( :( I try to be optimistic for her, but it's hard. And I won't lie to her either. Missy is a very proud dog, and has always been naturally very very clean. If she gets to the point of soiling herself, it would crush her. That's when it'll be time, dad says.

We just try to enjoy her and make her as happy as possible, for as long as possible. :) I stop over a couple times a week to see her. I really want to get pics of her and Maddie together with the DLSR but I've been so busy.
Sigh :eek: thanks for listening

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Oh, I missed this in September :(

I am so, so sorry. I've always been fond of Missy, she sounds like such a lovely dog.

<3

Doberluv

I'm so sorry to hear this. It's just pathetic to see, isn't it. My GSD developed that and it was really hard...he lost bowel control and couldn't go up and down stairs....otherwise healthy. But yeah, no pain, (it's all about the message not getting there to move muscles) just sad to see them not be able to play and do stuff they mentally want to do. I hope she can have some more happy times for a while still. So very sorry.

SpringerLover

I wanted to post a little update on Missy.

She doesn't seem to be in any pain, which makes sense because DM doesn't cause pain itself. So that has been a blessing in itself.

She's taking vitamins, fish oil (with Vit E), aminocroic acid 2x a day, and a joint supplement. However, it has not seemed to slow down or help her symptoms at all. It's been 3 short months and she's really struggling to stand at times... She falls over, needs help, but she still wants to play :) but she gets very... Embarrassed, or you could call it stressed, when she falls repeatedly or struggles too much. It's very heart wrenching.

Unfortunately for Missy and my parents, stairs are a very unavoidable part of everyday life. A wheelchair or cart really wouldn't be feasible for them. There are stairs to go outside/inside, 3 steps from the landing to the kitchen, a small step from kitchen to dining room, and stairs to go upstairs where everyone sleeps at night. I showed my mom the towel-trick. Right now, she needs it only occasionally... Once Missy gets going the back legs are on autopilot and she's okay. But she needs help to get going, though. Outside is worse, though. Perhaps the cold makes it worse. Secretly, my mom talked to me the other night. She's really worried that Missy will continue to deteriorate and won't make it past winter :( :( :( I try to be optimistic for her, but it's hard. And I won't lie to her either. Missy is a very proud dog, and has always been naturally very very clean. If she gets to the point of soiling herself, it would crush her. That's when it'll be time, dad says.

We just try to enjoy her and make her as happy as possible, for as long as possible. :) I stop over a couple times a week to see her. I really want to get pics of her and Maddie together with the DLSR but I've been so busy.
Sigh :eek: thanks for listening
I'm sorry she seems to be deteriorating so quickly :(

The Blue Dog Help'Em Up harnesses are a godsend for many dogs with DM (and their owners). Look into it and if it's within their price range, the correct fitting is essential to it working properly.

Help 'Em Up!

Brattina88

Thank you all ((((hugs)))))

And thanks for the link!! That looks like a must have! I've sent the link to my mom, but I just might have to pull the "Christmas present" card on them :p lol

JacksonsMom

Oh, sweet Missy. I'll keep her in my thoughts. Many ((vibes)) that she is not in pain and lives the rest of her life out that way.

It really pains me when I see or heard a dog sick or hurt. I just wish that I could have the powers to heal them. Prayers for her.

Brattina88

I feel like I'm drowning.

I went over to visit with Missy and my parents, and I saw what we've been fearing since the first day of her diagnosis. Long story short, I have the weekend with my girl and then she'll be helped across the bridge. They have been carrying her around for the past week, and she's lost control of her bowels, and she hates it...
I'm completely heart broken and devistated. I have so many things I want to do with her this weekend... but I know there's not enough time or energy for it. She will be spoiled and loved. I can hardly stand to see her unhappy, it breaks my heart. I am going to miss her SO. MUCH. It's not fair :(:(:(:(:(:(:( I hate this

Members online

No members online now.