Subcutaneous fluids. What am I doing wrong?

anna84

Haven't posted in a long time but I always lurk and love how knowledgeable everyone is. So I'm asking for help.

Severely undernourished dog was taken in. The vet recommended 9 days of sub q fluids. I've done this before and it's not my favorite thing but I've never had a problem till now.

I've tried this 3 times today and it's just not working. I lift the scruff insert the needle squeeze the bag and nothing comes out. The tube isn't kinked, fluid is coming out when the needle is out of her. I've tried squeezing the bag, shifting the angle of the needle...nothing is working and I'm stumped.

Should I try inserting the needle someplace else? This dog is bone thin so it's so hard to grab loose skin but I'm willing to try. If I can't figure this out tonight I'm going to the e vet tomorrow so they can show me what I'm doing wrong.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Could be she's so dehydrated there's no room under the skin for the fluids to fit. I'd suggest taking her back to the vets and getting further assistance.

Try pulling the needle halfway back out, but not all the way out. If the skin is tight, there is little room and the needle can rest against muscle and not flow.

Try pulling the needle halfway back out, but not all the way out. If the skin is tight, there is little room and the needle can rest against muscle and not flow.
That's what I was going to say as well. You can also try gently rotating the needle in place to help with the same problem.

Sparrow

I second everything posted already. Do you have someone available to help you? Even if they aren't comfortable with the needle, if you have someone to move the clip while you change the needle positioning you might be able to work it out without making a mess.

Sabrina was able to take fluids even at her most thin and dehydrated, but her skin was fairly loose.

anna84

Thank you for all the suggestions. I used a syringe to get a slurry of pedalite and nutrical into her tonight. Going to give it one more shot in the morning using all of these suggestions, if that doesn't work off to the vet to watch them do it.

GraceTW22

Instead of just pinching and tenting the skin with two fingers, try using three to make more of a triangle shape instead of just plain folding. That helped me find a little room when my little dog needed injections, since he has super thin skin and was very underweight after his GME.

Members online

No members online now.