Jude was attacked today.

hey_jude

We were at the dog park today and he was doing great- in a great mood- teasing people with a toy- getting along great with the group of dogs today. You could see they were all truly enjoying each other today- more than sometimes!

Then a cattle dog / pit / something mix (nothing against these breeds at all- just trying to describe size- a bit smaller than jude) took the toy from Jude and Jude started to play keep away. Well at one point he grabbed the toy, the dog growled, and Jude didn't give up. A moment later, it happened so fast, the dog lunged at Jude and went for his throat.

They got up on their hind legs and a dog fight ensued. I ran over and grabbed the other dog by the legs and Jude backed away and sat there whimpering and crying. I went over to him a moment later and he was limping and crying.

The owner apologized, said his dog was a bit unpredictable at times, and I was civil. I said that Jude is well socialized and I hoped it wouldn't set him back at all- he had never been in a fight before. Jude and I went to the other end of the park, and I appreciated the apology but wondered why an unpredictable or 'spazzy' dog as he also called it was allowed to play with my dog when his owners knew this.

Jude stopped limping and went swimming for awhile and has been himself for the rest of the night.

Still, I am all shaken about this.

Any tips for the future? Did I do the right thing by grabbing the other dogs back legs? I never know with that kind of thing... I just reacted without thinking. ANything I can do to help Jude not be upset about it? I'm afraid next time we go to the park he's going to cower and act different.

Thanks!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Awww poor Jude! I wish I could help you. You saw how Mia is acting after that lab went after her. :(

Hopefully Jude will recover quicker than my girl. Give the poor boy a scratching for me.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
It happens unfortunately :/ dogs like that shouldnt be at dog parks.. it ALWAYS creates problems

what I do to avoid these kinds of things is avoid toys, treats etc.. they usually just start trouble. if anything, stick with a stick for a toy. so its not really "high value" to the other dogs

usually making a very loud noise of a slap on the butt has worked for me when a growl/fights start. you start to recognize the signals (hackles raised, they slow down, stare etc..) break it up BEFORE it becomes a fight if u can

Next time you take him to the park, go on an "off day" where its pretty empty other than a couple of dogs, and have fun with him, make positive experiences :) maybe invite another dog that you KNOW he gets along with. He should be fine

Im glad to hear jude is ok :)

milos_mommy

Fran had good advice about going on an "off" day, avoiding toys and stuff, and bringing a friend.

It sounds like it wasn't TOO traumatic for Jude, if he acted normal for the rest of the night. See what happens, and try not to let him pick up on your nerves...if there's a problem, then you can work on it, otherwise, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Amstaffer

Sorry to hear about that.

I never understood why people bring agressive dogs or "Unpredictable" dogs to dog parks.

The almost exact same thing happen to Sal when he was about 8 months old by a Dalmation that the guy confessed to me was "iffy" around other dogs....I wasn't as understanding as you were.

Hope Jude forgives and forgets, Sal was over it 3 minutes later.

bubbatd

Poor guy !!! I'm glad that he wasn't really hurt too much .

My advice, don't make it any more of a "deal" . Any hesitation or worry from you about him, will also have him feeding off your insecurity.

Just do the things you do normal, and reinforce the outgoing happy puppy behaviors!

It sucks, and sadly it does happen.
My harry boy got the short end of the stick this fall, and he didn't even DO anything...so i totally understand.

~Tucker&Me~

Poor Jude!

I want to second not bringing toys out around other dogs. My BC is ball crazy but I am always very careful to play fetch with him when other dogs aren't in the immediate area.

I know in some places that dog parks don't allow any toys at all, which I actually agree with!

hey_jude

Thanks everyone!! We went to the park today and he was 100 percent fine! Very resiliant!

Members online