Suggestions for toning down the play?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Is it possible to convince Cajun that she doesn't have to participate in wrestlemania with Juno 24/7? :p

She's really a great dog but this is becoming the biggest headache with her. She thinks she needs to be playing with Juno, ALL the time. Of course I want them to play together but it doesn't need to be constant, and I can tell most of the time Juno's pretty exhausted with it too... but, she's a boxer and she's super tolerant, she gives in usually.

It's easier to manage and redirect when they're in the house. However at the moment I can't let them out in the backyard together, because Cajun just makes a bee-line for Juno and tries to engage her in body slamming. Not okay when Juno just wants to pee or just wants to hang out lol.

Or the other day I took them to an outdoor ice rink to play, and Juno just wants to play fetch with the Chuck It but Cajun's her constant shadow, running into her and biting at her legs :eek:

She doesn't pay much attention to Lucy or Happy, because those two never give her what she wants.

I can only think of keeping her on a leash and trying to be consistent with time outs.... but that's hard outside? And I don't know how effective? So I don't know if there are other options. And hopefully it's just a case of "I'm an adolescent Dobe and someday I won't be such a pain"? :p

I taught Squash an "enough" using a "three strikes" method:

ENOUGH! Ignore me? Strikes One and Two - removed from play for a minute or so or until you calm down a notch.

ENOUGH! Strike Three - off you go to No Fun Land all by yourself (leashed "permanently," inside the house, crate, car, whatever is appropriate for the situation)

These days it rarely takes more than one ENOUGH.

Torch

I have to redirect and separate my two all the time. I have an 11 month old Amstaff so I feel your pain. He is very playful and LOVES his 'brother'. Henry has places that he can be in the house that are Rhys-free, and I also have a command, "Enough!" that means that Rhys needs to stop being a punk or he's going to be separated.

As far as outside time I would take them out separately until you get a bit of a handle on Cajun. Rhys loves to tug so I keep tug toys everywhere; often I redirect him from Henry and encourage him to play with me.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I taught Squash an "enough" using a "three strikes" method:

ENOUGH! Ignore me? Strikes One and Two - removed from play for a minute or so or until you calm down a notch.

ENOUGH! Strike Three - off you go to No Fun Land all by yourself (leashed "permanently," inside the house, crate, car, whatever is appropriate for the situation)

These days it rarely takes more than one ENOUGH.
I did something very similar with Abrams. It worked for him, too.

Members online

No members online now.