Bloating

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I've been noticing with feeding kibble to Mitsu that it's causing bloating. Right now she is on Acana Puppy and Jr. And her poo is still soft.

When she was having explosive poo we were feeding her rice for a few days and then mixing it in with her kibble towards the end. When we were doing that there was no bloating issues and her poops were firm.

My concern with the bloating is because of her heart its easy for her to retain water in her chest and stomach area. Now could her going through a detox cause her bloating, because she was on Ol'Roy when I first got her. And I know she is going through a detox because she smells somthing fierce

I should add I am hoping to start her on raw once we move and find a supplier.

But would any of you dog food people have any options that I should try?

:) Thanks

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
You could try wetting the kibble and letting it sit for a while before feeding, and then not allowing her to gulp water afterwards. IME most digestive problems with kibble come from its lack of water content.

M

mutts

I've heard that mixing water in with the food can cause MORE bloating...
I don't have the source of this information I just know I found it on google. You can try googling it.

SaraB

When I fed kibble, I always wet it down as well. At least it reduces the need of the dog to drink a lot of water afterwards.

Saeleofu

I soak kibble too. I started when I got Logan because I mixed powdered supplements in and got into the habit. Now they won't eat dry kibble anymore lol

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Sorry, I wouldn't trust anything off that site.

Also, she's referring to water logged bloat, aka "kibble bloat", not gastric torsion - which is potentially fatal.

M

mutts

Sorry, I wouldn't trust anything off that site.

Also, she's referring to water logged bloat, aka "kibble bloat", not gastric torsion - which is potentially fatal.
Isn't that the beginning of gastric torsion??
This site isn't my favorite but it was the first one that popped up. I've seen it on many different sites... I don't know for sure but I would just be careful with it.

Saeleofu

4. If only dry food is given, some people moisten it with water if it is a high end dog food. However, with lesser quality foods, less meat-based dog food, the ones that are mostly grains, it is better to NOT wet the food, since water mixed with grain will start fermentation, a process that has by-products of gas. But if the food is mostly meat, it's ok, and can actually help with digestion.
Even at that this paragraph doesn't really support your claim. I'd venture to guess most people here, and especially most people posting in this thread, feed high-quality kibble.

M

mutts

It was a suggestion. I specified that I wasn't sure about it but that I had read in a few separate websites (a couple being vet websites) that watering down the food isn't the best idea. I cant give you a specific, scientific explanation.
I don't know the validity of it but it's worth researching.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
It was a suggestion. I specified that I wasn't sure about it but that I had read in a few separate websites (a couple being vet websites) that watering down the food isn't the best idea. I cant give you a specific, scientific explanation.
I don't know the validity of it but it's worth researching.
Unfortunately no one knows exactly what causes gastric torsion. There is a lot of speculation and none really proven. Most people I know water kibble in an effort to prevent dehydration and the later bingeing on water.

Along with adding water, you may want to try feeding smaller meals more often. Some dogs need lots of food to stay fit, but some of them can't handle a semi big meal 2 or 3 times a day. But do very well when the meals are split in to 4 meals a day or 3 if their getting 1 or 2 meals a day.

Members online

No members online now.