Need help on deciding between Retrievers

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason

Hi all, first post here. Anyway, my wife and I (no kids yet; 1-2 yrs away) are looking for our first dog. We both had dogs growing up and now it's time for our own. We have narrowed down our breed choices to one of three Retrievers:

1. Golden
2. Flat-Coated
3. Labradoodle

I have researched these breeds to death and am very familiar with their attributes "on paper". What I'd appreciate hearing is some feedback on some of your real-world experiences. I can't find much on FCR's or Labradoodles. I listed a FCR because I've read it may shed less and is a better watchdog. I listed a Labradoodle for it's retriever tendencies, good looks, and not shedding.

Thanks for your responses.

Saje

Island dweller
Well, labradoodles isn't a breed and if you get one of those from a breeder they're pretty much guaranteed to be shady. I'd steer far away from them unless you get a real mutt from a shelter.

I've never owned a retriever though so I can't say between the other two

J

Jason

Saje said:
Well, labradoodles isn't a breed and if you get one of those from a breeder they're pretty much guaranteed to be shady. I'd steer far away from them unless you get a real mutt from a shelter.
Actually, I think you got it backwards on the breeder/shelter thing. Check this out:

www.teganpark.com

My neighbor bought one from them and it's a beautiful dog.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
yeah Labradoodles are the big craze now. My uncle has one and she is the sweetest thing and great with their 4 kids and very smart.

J

Jason

sparks19 said:
yeah Labradoodles are the big craze now. My uncle has one and she is the sweetest thing and great with their 4 kids and very smart.
Aside from the different look and shedding, is she much different from a Golden or Lab?

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I haven't spent A LOT of time with her but from what i can tell she's a typical retriever lol. She is good natured, very sweet but LOVES to play but she is also very gentle with the smaller kids.

J

Jason

Saje said:
Well, what organization are they recognized by?
I can't find any because they're not. But I'm much more inclined to trust a dog direct from a breeder as opposed to a shelter. A Labradoodle is a mix. Therefore, it is bred. From a breeder. Some using reputable, quality dogs, and others not. I just have to find the right breeder.

Weluvgoldens

Shilo is HERE!
they had a labradoodle in our paper and its selling for $800 -- Just my opinion, but I'm not going to pay that much for a mix "breed" dog. To tell you the truth, I think its just another mix breed that shouldnt have been made...same goes for the goldendoodle or whatever they call it...

Last edited:

Fran27

Jason said:
Actually, I think you got it backwards on the breeder/shelter thing. Check this out:

www.teganpark.com

My neighbor bought one from them and it's a beautiful dog.

I would be careful of such a site. Mostly, they seem to be breeding labradoodles with labradoodles and it makes me scream. If you really want one, find a breeder that has labradors and poodles with pedigrees that they reproduce. At least you will be less likely to have a puppy with health issues. They are even making up a standard that doesn't exist.

In any case, I would get a lab or golden, and not such a mix. I prefer golden retrievers personally, mostly because they are crazy, but still less than labs.

Jason, there is no such think as a "labradoodle" a "labradoodle" is a labrador retriever/standard poodle mix. Anyone who breeds these dogs is just in it for the money. Please read this site www.stoppuppymills.org. Why do you want a "labradoodle"? There is no such thing as hypoallergenic and nonshedding. All dogs shed A LITTLE. And I guarantee that a lab mix will at least shed a bit :rolleyes:. Anyone claiming that their dogs come from "champion lines" are just buloni. They can lie all they want to get your business.

Jason said:
Hi all, first post here. Anyway, my wife and I (no kids yet; 1-2 yrs away) are looking for our first dog. We both had dogs growing up and now it's time for our own. We have narrowed down our breed choices to one of three Retrievers:

1. Golden
2. Flat-Coated
3. Labradoodle

I have researched these breeds to death and am very familiar with their attributes "on paper". What I'd appreciate hearing is some feedback on some of your real-world experiences. I can't find much on FCR's or Labradoodles. I listed a FCR because I've read it may shed less and is a better watchdog. I listed a Labradoodle for it's retriever tendencies, good looks, and not shedding.

Thanks for your responses.
Jason, Please Ask Yourself....

How much time do I have to exercise a pet every day? [a border collie wouldn't work for someone who can walk the dog for only a few minutes every day. Pets also need mental stimulation!]

How much time do I have to groom a pet every day? [a lab would not work for someone who cannot groom at least monthly]

How much time do I have to clean up after a pet every day? [puppies and kittens make lots of mess! Certain breeds do, too!]

How much time do I have to train a pet every day? [all pets need to be trained, some more than other, and some breeds more than others too. Terrier dogs need lots of training to be well-behaved]

How much money can I spend on veterinary care every year? [for three dogs, my family spends $4,000 to $5,000 a year. The cost of veterinary care is usually based on the supplies used and time spent. Veterinary care for your chihuahua can and probably will cost as much as veterinary care for your friend's great dane]

How much money can I spend on general supplies (toys, leashes and collars, etc.) every few months? [puppies and kittens need lots of toys to play with. Collars and identification tags are important for boths cats and dogs, and dogs should be exercised daily]

How much money can I spend on food every month? [it can cost often over $50]

Can I enroll in a training class? [training classes are a good idea for certain breeds of dogs and they're good for socializing puppies]

How many hours would the pet be spending alone every day? [don't leave your pet alone for long periods of time!

If more than 6-8 hours, can I hire someone to walk the dog or feed the cat? [you could hire a trustworthy neighborhood kid to walk Fido while you work, or to feed Kitty when you're out late]

Do I travel frequently? [pets and frequent travelers most often do not mix]

Are there any young children around? [certain breeds like terrier dogs are generally not good with small children]

Are there other pets? [always introduce pets on neutral territory, and know your pets. For example, pit bulls are dog aggressive and cannot be left unsupervised with other animals]

Are there elderly humans around? [hyper animals and elderly people are usually not good matches]

I have a purebred labrador and here is what I have found in the eight or so years that we've had her (mind you this wonderful baby is a rescue!! :D)
  1. They shed....A LOT.
  2. They absolutely HATE being left alone - many retrievers have SA (Seperation Anxiety)
  3. They require LOTS of exercise
  4. They are good with kids, but should be supervised at ALL TIMES.
  5. They are willing to please, that is what they live for, and they are food-motivated, so they are generally easily trained, but they CAN be stubborn.
  6. They absolutely STINK as watchdogs.

J

Jason

gaddylovesdogs said:
Jason, there is no such think as a "labradoodle" a "labradoodle" is a labrador retriever/standard poodle mix. Anyone who breeds these dogs is just in it for the money. Please read this site www.stoppuppymills.org.
I think it's irresponsible of you to generalize in this way. You're essentially deeming that all breeders of Labradoodles are corrupt and greedy. Is it not possible that some breeders of Labradoodles love dogs and treat them well? Aren't all breeders essentially in it for the money? I think we can all agree that "puppy mills" are a terrible thing. But that is a far cry from the Labradoodle breeder I'd do business with.
gaddylovesdogs said:
Why do you want a "labradoodle"? There is no such thing as hypoallergenic and nonshedding. All dogs shed A LITTLE. And I guarantee that a lab mix will at least shed a bit :rolleyes:.
All dogs definitely shed and I don't see anyone making claims to the contrary. But I guarantee that this mix will shed less than a purebred Retriever.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Jason said:
Aren't all breeders essentially in it for the money?

NO not any good reputable breeders are in it for the money.....they barely break even if they are lucky.

J

Jason

gaddylovesdogs said:
I have a purebred labrador and here is what I have found in the eight or so years that we've had her (mind you this wonderful baby is a rescue!! :D)
  1. They shed....A LOT.
  2. They absolutely HATE being left alone - many retrievers have SA (Seperation Anxiety)
  3. They require LOTS of exercise
  4. They are good with kids, but should be supervised at ALL TIMES.
  5. They are willing to please, that is what they live for, and they are food-motivated, so they are generally easily trained, but they CAN be stubborn.
  6. They absolutely STINK as watchdogs.
I'm hoping to find a Retriever that sheds a little bit less and might make a better watchdog. You're right about a lab. A terrific dog, but probably not for us. That's why I listed a FCR and a Labradoodle.

think it's irresponsible of you to generalize in this way. You're essentially deeming that all breeders of Labradoodles are corrupt and greedy. Is it not possible that some breeders of Labradoodles love dogs and treat them well?
The truth is, basically all crossbreed breeders ARE irresponsible there's a rare reputable one in the bunch. I'm not saying that all crossbreed breeders don't treat their dogs right, but I am saying that many and most of them really just want money.

Aren't all breeders essentially in it for the money? I think we can all agree that "puppy mills" are a terrible thing. But that is a far cry from the Labradoodle breeder I'd do business with.
No, not all breeders are in it for the money. I know a reputable bulldog breeder. She has a second job besides showing her bullies and breeding them, because she does lots of health tests before breeding her dogs (which often cost a lot of money) and bullies often need c-sections. She only breeds her dogs if they are healthy and have won titles, and she breeds only every few years. She has a waiting list of approved buyers so all her puppies go to experienced, good homes.

Jason said:
I'm hoping to find a Retriever that sheds a little bit less and might make a better watchdog. You're right about a lab. A terrific dog, but probably not for us. That's why I listed a FCR and a Labradoodle.
Retrievers simply stink as watchdogs, and they simply shed, no matter what you try to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online