hip dysplacia and dislocating shoulders

hollybea

as a few of you may know Henna my 10 month old irish setter has hip dysplacia, well we have now discovered her front shoulders dislocate when she lays in a certain way too so its very hard for her to get up. She is very wobbly at the moment and i know she needs more pain killers but i really dont know if i can cope with her being like this for the rest of forever, its not that I cant cope with her but more i cant cope with seeing her like this as i feel its no life for her but dont know what to do, i feel horrible about it all and cant think straight.

bubbatd

Such a shame . I'm sorry for both of you . And yes, your vet should be able to help you make a decision . Please let us know .

J's crew

as a few of you may know Henna my 10 month old irish setter has hip dysplacia, well we have now discovered her front shoulders dislocate when she lays in a certain way too so its very hard for her to get up. She is very wobbly at the moment and i know she needs more pain killers but i really dont know if i can cope with her being like this for the rest of forever, its not that I cant cope with her but more i cant cope with seeing her like this as i feel its no life for her but dont know what to do, i feel horrible about it all and cant think straight.

Are you sure they dislocate?
I had a Rottie with hip AND elbow displacia. He had to have surgery for his hips. His elbows weren't terrible, after full recovery from surgery and being able to use his back end more his elbow problem was only noticiable if he ran or played to much.

hollybea

Are you sure they dislocate?
I had a Rottie with hip AND elbow displacia. He had to have surgery for his hips. His elbows weren't terrible, after full recovery from surgery and being able to use his back end more his elbow problem was only noticiable if he ran or played to much.
this photo sort of shows it but it comes out alot further usually and also goes up under her chin.

J's crew

this photo sort of shows it but it comes out alot further usually and also goes up under her chin.

Oh wow. Looks very painfull. :(

Does your vet know? If not please see a vet soon.

I'm very sorry for what you and Henna have to go through.

hollybea

she is being treated by my vet and has been for some time, she is on all sorts of preps and other than operate there is nothing more we can do other than make sure she is comfortable,
I know many are probably thinking she should be put down full stop but i keep thinking maybe she will grow out of it (i know she wont) maybe its not as bad as i think etc, i have talked to my vet several times but im not ready to let her go (yes im selfish) i cant let go of the hope she may be ok and i will have put her to sleep unneccasarily.

J's crew

she is being treated by my vet and has been for some time, she is on all sorts of preps and other than operate there is nothing more we can do other than make sure she is comfortable,
I know many are probably thinking she should be put down full stop but i keep thinking maybe she will grow out of it (i know she wont) maybe its not as bad as i think etc, i have talked to my vet several times but im not ready to let her go (yes im selfish) i cant let go of the hope she may be ok and i will have put her to sleep unneccasarily.

I know the feeling all to well. Only you know her pain. It sounds like you are doing all you can to make sure she is comfortable. I really hope for the best with her.

elegy

overdogged
i had a coworker whose cat, for some reason, all of a sudden had both her shoulders luxate like that. they did surgery on her to try to fix it, but i don't believe it was successful.

i'm very sorry. how horrible for you and for her.

Members online

No members online now.