leash training? + commands

haiku

ok so my wifes had this cocker/lab since he was a puppy , and he used to spend most of his time outside. i didnt pay much attention cause i was a fish person, still love fish. recently ive taken up an interst in him so i brought him inside and bathed him in a shower. hes semi house trained (meaning if you take him out enuff he wont use the house. but he wont alert you if he has to go.) so i want to teach him to walk on a leash and use commands like sit and laydown and heel.

whats some good resources???

amymarley

start slow...if he is not used to a leash, then bring him indoors for a bit, but a leash on him, and let him walk around the house with it on, with you NOT holding it. Every once in awhile, treat and praise him. Do this after in the back yard. After a few days of each, pick up the leash and walk. Praise/reward him.

Then after he is used to the leash, start the sit. Have him on a leash, have a treat in your right hand (because most people have dogs heel on their left side...the owners left side). Call him by name, when he looks at you, have your treat in your right hand and say sit, while AT THE SAME TIME, bring the treat over your dogs head, that will make him sit. THAN PRAISE THE HECK OUT OF HIM. You can also incorporate a hand signal with your right hand while the treat is still in your hand, buy taking your right index finger, hold it up and point down. Give your dog a few days or weeks to do this...always end on a positive note. Never make him feel bad at the end of the session.

Once the sitting is good to go, then start the lay down. Put him in the sit position, have a treat in your right hand, use a hand command too. Say lay down, use your right hand (with treat) in a down motion (I use a full right hand going down). Most likely, your dog will follow the treat and not really hear the lay down or hand command. Only make sessions about 10 min. each a few times a day. Once down, give treat and praise like the dickens...

Heeling is a bit more advanced....do that and then write back.
Good luck.
Amy

amymarley

Teaching Loose-Leash Walking with the Clicker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by: Dee Ganley and Nancy Lyon, Upper Valley Humane Society 02.06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get your dog to walk without pulling! But how? We are masters at allowing our dogs to drag us down the street. The most asked question at obedience classes and private consultations is "how can I get my dog not to pull on his leash?"
As far as dogs and leashes are concerned, we want to arrange things so that loose leashes "pay off" and tight leashes don't. Historically trainers encouraged folks to act like a tree the moment their dog began to pull on the leash. This method does work nicely with puppies, but it just doesn't work for the adolescent or older dog who has learned to pull you around.

This is a quote from a site that Sajie posted above.... not starting a fight, but that is sooo wrong, only because I know that from rescuing dogs that are not puppies, that had behavioral issues and other problems. Yes, you can teach a old dog new tricks. Collar training is less confusing for the pet owner AND THE DOG than the clicker....plus takes less time. Of course you can teach an old dog not to pull.... but again, every trainer has a different stance, but that statement is ridiculous.

First off, I am concerned that you are asking advice to even get your dog on a leash and sit....that is pre-k, for dogs.

Second, I would not incorporate the clicker unless you know how to use it. Don't just read a book, it is more involved than that. You are obviously looking for advice, and that is good. You are new to this, so why burden yourself and your dog with more complications. Use the simple, hard fast route first, then go from there. I see people using the clicker or trying to anyway, and they have it all wrong.

If you decide to clicker train, then don't go to a website or just read a book. Hire a trainer for a few hours and learn what to do with it.

But basically, a clicker, or a cricket is used as a bridge. It bridges the gap in time when the animal is doing a behavior and when they get rewarded for it. It's a bit more comp. than one can think, and you don't want to confuse your self and your dog. Just my 2 cents....

I also have to add, that when clicker training became popular at pet shops to sell them (clickers), and people writing books....to be honest, I think clicker training is best used in shows, performance, maybe obedince and other stuff, not for the common man with the common dog as a pet. I trained pigeons, rats, pigs, emus, horses (sometimes), ducks and cats.... I never did it with dogs except a few that had combined behaviors. I think writers/trainers and publishers just wanted something new to write about. Again, the common person with a common pet, that is just too much....

Last edited:

amymarley

ATTENTION ON DEMAND
The program begins by eliminating attention on demand. When your dog comes to you and nudges your hand, saying "pet me! pet me!" ignore him. Don't tell him "no", don't push him away. Simply pretend you don't notice him. This has worked for him before, so don't be surprised if he tries harder to get your attention. When he figures out that this no longer works, he'll stop. In a pack situation, the top ranking dogs can demand attention from the lower ranking ones, not the other way around. When you give your dog attention on demand you're telling him that he has more status in the pack than you do. Timid dogs become stressed by having this power and may become clingy. They're never sure when you'll be in charge so they can't relax. What if something scary happens, like a stranger coming in the house? Who will handle that? The timid dog that is demanding of attention can be on edge a lot of the time because he has more responsibility than he can handle.

This site bites too... heck you have a pet. Why get a pet in the first place if you have no desire to pet him/her or give attention. Yes, I know, if problems are going on, like sep. anxiety than ignore. But I would never use this person to train my dog. Remember, dogs have been pets for hundreds of years. People from all over in all these years have had great animals. Loyal, and fun....there is just too much psyco-analyzing going on now. People get a 12 week old pup, see "aggression" signs, and flip out thinking their dog is going to be terrible. Again, most things work themselves out with common sense of the owner.

Me, I love my dogs, i do give them attention on demand wether i want it or they want it, they are my pets. That is why I have them.... humans want attention too. How would one like it if your better half wants attention, and you dismiss it.

Esp. if the dog is really young, they need that.

I honestly think that people are becomeing co-dependent of their dogs. Don't get me wrong, animals are my life, but I am not about to have them lay on a couch and tell me their problems. They are smart, they have instinct and know more that we think.... let's not overburden them and think they are less than what they are. They were here, before we were, give them a break and let them shine on their own.

I might be wrong, but i have been there, the dogs i have had/have, plus the over 200 i saved and trained, worked out great, but hey, i could be wrong. I just don't always believe a website that anyone could put up and take it as gospel.

As much as I LOVE giving training advice, I am not there to eval you or your dog. So, I recommend seeing your vet and then finding a good trainer. I am not going to give out sites or books, you obviously want/need the help and reached for it, that is a start. You can disregard me and anyone else, because on certain issues, I don't believe you can find your TRUE answer on a forum or website. GOOD LUCK and let us know.

Last edited:

haiku

thanks guys ill try the stuff listed. im not trying to get it to jump through hoops i just want to get it to where it learns simple commands and help it not get in trouble in the house. like i said it was my wifes dog and i really wasent a part of it till recently i was always more focused on my fish and kinda assumed she took care of it. thats why its not trained now.

a trainer is kinda out of the question but im in a small town in oklahoma and the closest one is 100 miles

Doberluv

I highly recommend learning how to clicker train. I taught my Dobe to clean up his sloppy heel in one session using those methods. And even if you don't want to use a clicker, the principles based on operant and classical conditioning work wonders. Do some reading and I think you'll have fun with it and most of all, dogs have fun with it and when they are really into learning, it just goes so much faster. It's very concise to the dog, no confusion because that clicker marks exactly what it was the dog just did to earn a reward. There's no muddled voice or question of which behavior am I getting rewarded for.

I started my puppy out with no leash....just coaxed him to come along with me, saying, "let's go" in a very playful voice....lots of teensy treats and just a fun game. Get him in the habit of coming along with you when you say, "let's go." Always reward your dog when he comes near you and when you get a behavior that you like, by luring, and it becomes consistant with your hand signal (which comes from luring) then add a command word. Wait till you get the behavior pretty good before adding a command word. He doesn't know the word anyhow at first and it just makes things less muddled. Try eliminating a lot of chit chat when you're training. And make the sessions not last longer than he is having fun. Training has to be fun and rewarding. If he's not getting something, have patience and just show him again what you mean. Never scold for his not getting something. Stop before the dog gets too distracted or is unable to pay attention and end on a good note.

Good luck.

amymarley

Again, clicker training is fun for most, but he just stated he wants an easy, effective mode. I say nix on clicker training and do what I stated above, it may or may not work depending what he puts into it, but clicker training is for the more advanced person/trainer....looking for something else. Clicker training is just one of many forms of oper. conditioning/behavior modification, oper. cond. is so vast, so I am getting the vibes from the op, that he wants the quickest form to get the job done. He is not " all into it" like some of us, it's his wifes dog and wants a quick fix, and I gave it to him.

From his posts, i gather, he wants the quick simple solution. That is all i was saying. I think people here give great advice, but I also believe that everyone is entiltled to their opinion. I LOVE clicker training, but he needs the basics right now, if he wants to learn more, than, heck, Chazhound is the place to look.

Last edited:

amymarley

also, if you do what i recommend above, and then come to the "heel" part, I would love to talk you through it, and then you can show your wife... good luck. Please let us know how you do.

Saje

Island dweller
Clicker training has worked wonders for my rescues. I raised Maverick from a puppy and he knows everything lol. Not. But he knows the basics and I never used a clicker. But for Mikey and Nanook (especially Nanook) the clicker was the ONLY way to get through to her. She's a very special dog and it worked wonders. It also enabled me to not use the clicker and still teach her things as she started to learn to pay attention to me. It's a very viable option and reading about how it works can help new owners learn more about how their dogs think.

Doberluv

Again, clicker training is fun for most, but he just stated he wants an easy, effective mode
Apparently, you're not familiar with clicker training or scientific learning theory or you wouldn't make that statement. Clicker training is highly effective and easier than many methods for an animal to understand. It's more exacting in the way things are communicated to the way animals learn. It is used on sea mammals, movie actor animals, service animals...the list goes on. It is also not very difficult to learn. I did by reading. I've used it very effectively with whatever I trained.

There is NO quick fix in training. Anyone who tells you that is full of hot air. Training takes work, patience and knowledge. It's a great way to start off when you're first learning. If you don't want to use a clicker, if it's too many things to hold in your hand, (which sometimes is the case) you can still use the principles and have an extremely effective way to communicate to your dog.

If you read about it, you'll see just how easy and concise it is. I really don't care what method anyone uses as long as they're fair to their dog and not presuming the dog knows something when it doesn't and then go on to punish the dog. I see this too much. With clicker training, there is no mistake that way. There is no need for punishment.

http://www.dogpatch.org/obed/obpage4.cfm

Another interesting thing that you might like: http://www.bogartsdaddy.com/bouvier/Training/alpha-roll_no.htm

If you don't like the clicker training, here's another library full of stuff:

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/dog.htm

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Clicker training rocks. It's the easiest way of training for both trainer and trainee. They love it, you love it, it's so easy to learn and it's so easy to teach. It's the best way of all, IMO, but horses for courses, really!

amymarley

Sorry, I must be really wrong, I have worked with some of the best trainers in the world and personally trained over 300 dogs....

Again, not to start a fight, but this guy is looking for a short method of training, clicker training requries a bit more than that. The trainer, or owner must know how to properly use the clicker and then also how to apply it to his dog in the correct manner.

This guy wants to have simple commands for his dog, not get into something more, he stated that in his own words. I was only trying to meet his specific needs, but of course, it has been turned to something more...

I have written articles on clicker training, have been on t.v. and radio speaking about it, have been paid to go to schools and speak about it...yes, i sound arrogant, but have you done that?

Also, Rubylove gave a great statement, yes A LOT of "DOG" people love clicker training, so do I...... but, again, this guy wants a MORE simple solution, he stated that he does not want to get ALL INVOLVED in this. So, no one here is wrong, I was just giving him tips from what he stated.

Regardeless, I hope he finds his answer, and I was just giving my opinion. I also DID state, that I was NOT TRYING TO START A FIGHT, JUST GIVING MY OPINION. So, when you tell me that I don't "obviously" know about clicker training...you are dead wrong, and just want to argue.

Not only have I clicker trained dogs, but I clicker trained parrots, pigeons, rats, pigs, EMUS, 3 different types of monkeys, llamas, horses, ducks etc.. PLUS, the vet at the Atlanta Zoo wanted me to clicker train the Pandas and Gorillas there for getting shots. So don't tell me what I know and do not know..... have you done that?

I have been playing nice for a long time, but I see you have your "peeps" and want to fight back, fine, I am all with that, shoot at me as you wish, but don't get this guy all fired up on something really simple. He just wants what is right for his dog. I gave my opinion, others gave theirs and I respect that. He does not have to listen to me, or anyone else. But don't tell me that I don't know how to clicker train.... (we can always pm and compare notes.)

amymarley

Also, Sajie posted those websites, she did not write them, so I am not blaming her for trying to give out advice. I for one did not agree with the site, but again, SHE didn't write them, she was just giving out advice...

So, therefore, I am not blaming her at all. That was not my intention, I just didn't agree with what was written, because I, and others proved that wrong. I would think most would appreciate that, animal training is an on going experience, never just have one thought.... you are always learning from the animals.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i have never used the clicker..but that thing that kelly suggested about turning everytime your dog pulls put victor at my knee in record time..never had him pull again..never did that with Mary and let her get away with murder since she is so old..and doesn't need the darn leash in the first place, but when i walk vic alone down the street i am the proudest mama alive..took one afternoon..got a little dizzy but oh my did it ever work wonders.
forgot to ad..that in the derby stake of field trials (hunting tests) your dog must remain steady on the line..this is a stake for one year old labs only you are not allowed to say anything after sit..or restrain your dog in anyway..while the guns go off and birds fall..then the judge calls your dogs name then and only then can you send your dog...you are not allowed to put your hands in your pocket to jingle your keys or change..or click your teeth..nothing. That dog wants to go more then he wants to breath at that point..he is young and anxious and birdy as all get out..if a young lab can learn any dog can.. That is why i know it can be done otherwise..if it works for you great..but keep your mind open to many different suggestions..try one and if it doesnt' work try another...old boss said you can learn even from novices..and he was right..

Last edited:

amymarley

Doberluv said:
Apparently, you're not familiar with clicker training or scientific learning theory or you wouldn't make that statement. Clicker training is highly effective and easier than many methods for an animal to understand. It's more exacting in the way things are communicated to the way animals learn. It is used on sea mammals, movie actor animals, service animals...the list goes on. It is also not very difficult to learn. I did by reading. I've used it very effectively with whatever I trained.

There is NO quick fix in training. Anyone who tells you that is full of hot air. Training takes work, patience and knowledge. It's a great way to start off when you're first learning. If you don't want to use a clicker, if it's too many things to hold in your hand, (which sometimes is the case) you can still use the principles and have an extremely effective way to communicate to your dog.

If you read about it, you'll see just how easy and concise it is. I really don't care what method anyone uses as long as they're fair to their dog and not presuming the dog knows something when it doesn't and then go on to punish the dog. I see this too much. With clicker training, there is no mistake that way. There is no need for punishment.

http://www.dogpatch.org/obed/obpage4.cfm

Another interesting thing that you might like: http://www.bogartsdaddy.com/bouvier/Training/alpha-roll_no.htm

If you don't like the clicker training, here's another library full of stuff:

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/dog.htm
hey, i was not talking bad about you or any one, let's take clicker training to chat....with everyone involved, I will show you how much I don't know about it, or how unfamiliar I am with it.... and lets do several types of animals... you let me know a good time for you. I would love for you to educate me on it.

I will wait for a good date and time for you to let me know. I will be available...at your disposal. I await your invitation.....and training.... let's invite the whole site....you show me how to do it, since you said I "am not familiar" with clicker training.... please educate me and the rest of us. I say do it on chat since it quick thinking and reading... Again, Miss, I awaite your invite.

Oh, and I have been involved with lots of movie animal actors (will name them if necessary), service animals (worked with lots of k-9 county and state and airport officials), and as for a lot of marine animals, well, it's a bit different (most of us trainers do hand signals and whistles, NOT the clicker), but what do I know? Give me a date and time and you educate me... I will talk you through all types of marine animals. Killer whales, dol., seals, sea lions and others, or according to you, you can talk me though it. I believe it will be an interesting chat, and please no web sites, if you know, i prefer you to speak your mind and off the top of your head.
Since you are kinda calling me out on clicker training, I am sure a lot of us are awaiting your reply. Already pm'd a bunch of people here.

But, I bet, she/he won't show, or have someone say..."it's not worth it..." bottom line, someone will cop out, but it won't be me. Take care all, i don't mean harm, but sick of taking stuff from certain people who have .....never mind, just sick of it. I try to lend here now and that is all. Bottom line, it is woth it, maybe some of us can learn... and she can teach us...., so we have nothing to lose, right?

Last edited:

Doberluv

The program begins by eliminating attention on demand. When your dog comes to you and nudges your hand, saying "pet me! pet me!" ignore him. Don't tell him "no", don't push him away. Simply pretend you don't notice him. This has worked for him before, so don't be surprised if he tries harder to get your attention. When he figures out that this no longer works, he'll stop. In a pack situation, the top ranking dogs can demand attention from the lower ranking ones, not the other way around. When you give your dog attention on demand you're telling him that he has more status in the pack than you do. Timid dogs become stressed by having this power and may become clingy. They're never sure when you'll be in charge so they can't relax. What if something scary happens, like a stranger coming in the house? Who will handle that? The timid dog that is demanding of attention can be on edge a lot of the time because he has more responsibility than he can handle.
This is good information. I wouldn't worry and be too extreme about it unless you're having leadership problems with your dog. If you have your dog earn lots of things and he has a job, it doesn't hurt to sometimes let him instigate a little affection. I do with my dogs. But not to a huge degree. In other words, EVERY time they want attention, I do not respond. If you keep it in mind, "leaders act, followers react" I think that will help in all you do. But unless you have behavior problems, I don't feel that it has to be taken to extremes. My dogs are my friends. They know who their leader is. They have jobs to do and have to earn most of their goodies. But, I certainly bend the rules sometimes myself and just plain enjoy my canine pals.

Doberluv

Animalbiz,

I certainly didn't mean any offense to you in any of my posts. I think you have wonderful advice. Sometimes there's something that I don't do the same way or don't agree with, but that doesn't mean that I don't think you know what you're doing. You sure seem to. Just like they say, ask 3 trainers a question and you'll get 3 different answers. LOL. We all have different ways which have worked for us and some ways that are alike. It's not a big deal. We just share what works for us and if someone can use some of the information to their advantage, that's great. That's why forums are so neat. There are lots of different ways to try. (When I said that if someone says that there's a quick fix, then they're full of hot air, I didn't mean you. I meant in general. Sorry.....that came out wrong, didn't it.) I saw a dog trainer's site online and he was claiming to overcome certain problematic behaviors and train things in the most ridiculous time frame. That was in the back of my mind when I wrote that because truly, there is no quick fix. Training a dog is time consuming, I'm sure you'd agree.

amymarley

Doberluv said:
Animalbiz,

I certainly didn't mean any offense to you in any of my posts. I think you have wonderful advice. Sometimes there's something that I don't do the same way or don't agree with, but that doesn't mean that I don't think you know what you're doing. You sure seem to. Just like they say, ask 3 trainers a question and you'll get 3 different answers. LOL. We all have different ways which have worked for us and some ways that are alike. It's not a big deal. We just share what works for us and if someone can use some of the information to their advantage, that's great. That's why forums are so neat. There are lots of different ways to try. (When I said that if someone says that there's a quick fix, then they're full of hot air, I didn't mean you. I meant in general. Sorry.....that came out wrong, didn't it.) I saw a dog trainer's site online and he was claiming to overcome certain problematic behaviors and train things in the most ridiculous time frame. That was in the back of my mind when I wrote that because truly, there is no quick fix. Training a dog is time consuming, I'm sure you'd agree.[/QUOTE

Look, some stuff was deleted... i am not here to argue either, but the only thing I did not agree with you, is when you said "that I obviously don't know clicker training.." that is what set me off. So therefore, you did offend me, but that is o.k.... i respect you too....but your statement is the one that set me off, but hey, I have been there and done that several time, but when I am "off base," I do apologize also. So, as far as I am concerned, this is cool, and done with. I just hope the op gets what he needs and what works for him.

I love clicker training and will forget this post (the bad blood) all together. I am not good at anything, except animals, I wish I had more to offer, but that is my one and only gift, which I take to heart.

I never (read above) bashed a forum member or mod here the this thread, I just didn't agree that this (clicker training) is what this guy was looking for. You have to train the person/owner/guardian before you train the dog with a clicker. This poor guy, who is prob. now horrifed, stated a few times that he just wanted a quick fix.

I also agree with you about having 3 trainers disagree.... but as long as they are 3 GOOD trainers, most methods would work, even if the 3 are switched in different order. Again, there is no black and white, just grey....and good trainers will try a lot of things until the animal responds.

Members online

No members online now.