New behaviour?

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
I've noticed recently - particularly since I started employing the techniques of Amichien bonding as descrbed in Jan Fennell's wonderful book, `The Dog Listener', that many of our puppies' less desirable behaviours have almost disappeared completely.

However, they have started this new thing. Whenever greeting me - whether it's been me getting home from work, or just letting them inside after a backyard romp, they nip me on my hands a couple of times. Not hard, but definitely a nip, definitely a consistent behaviour (ie they do it every time now) and it's definitely something new.

Is this a sign of respect that they now view me as their alpha dog? Or something different entirely? Lol... They have started doing it to Max, too.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
They're both Labradoodles, if I remember right? I can't say for certain, but depending on age, it might just be some of the Lab mouthiness coming through. I would suggest applying the same techniques to this as you would if they were nipping during play all the time: yell "ow!" and walk away to where they can't follow you. Also, make them sit the second they (or you) walk through the door. If they're busy with one command, they won't have time to nip. That's the hope anyway.

Members online

No members online now.