Great piece of kit for dogs that shed hair!

bonster

Disappointed :(
I might have mentioned this in another post, but if you have the "hairy carpet" problem I can thoroughly recommend the "Lawrence Shedder" product first hand (I've no connection to them, just find it a great grooming device).
Bonnie wasn't sure about it at first but now really enjoys having it done.
You make a brushing like motion with a hoop with comb-like teeth. Thing is - even when a brush and fine comb won't get hair out - this thing will get literally handfuls - its brilliant! Just use it outside!
I got mine from eBay but think you can get them all over.
Think this is the main website (they are English)
http://www.lawrence-petcare.co.uk/products.htm
Think they do cat products too

Wyluli

So you think the Shedder works better than a Slicker Brush? Corgi's shed something horrible!!!! I use a slicker brush on them and get tons off but if this Shedder works even better I may give it a try! It is available in most pet shops, I've seen them before.

I used a shedding blade on my golden retriever. It seems to be working pretty well. Theres a bird nest in the tree in my front yard and they actually take the hair that gets shed and bring it in to their nests. It's like a soft nest made out of dog hair.

*EDIT lol Lawrence shedder is same as a shedding blade. lol

-Jon

tcreed

You can also get these at a feed store for livestock. I had one for my horse.

Tricia

My sister has one of those for her bunny. They work GREAT!! I have a small comb that's actually for cats that gets a bunch of fur off. Like a curry comb.

Saje

Island dweller
LOL That's a shedding blade. We've used them on our horses for years. It's pretty much the only thing you can use in the spring. They do have pointy metal teeth so be careful how hard you use them on some dogs.

Dreeza

holy moly, that thing is amazing...

i just bought one after seeing this thread...

and i hope its not abnormal how much hair i just took off my dog, lol...he like, looks skinnier...i think i took off a pound of hair, it just kept coming off

He is so shiny, and groomed looking now!

I am sure he is grateful to get rid of lots of that hair...poor oakley's black hair doesnt make him the happiest doggie out in the 90+ degree weather we have been having here lately

Athe

We have been using shedding blades for decades. I go to the horse auctions to get a good discount on shedding blades, last auction I went to I got them for $2.00/a peice Canadian dollars.
You can also card a dogs coat with an old blade from a razor, this works great as well. Also a pumice stone works alright. I still perfer to use a high velocity dryer on my Newf in the start of the spring to get rid of all the undercoat. Works best in my books. ;)

LorriF

Puppy Whipped!!!
I just bought one of those today after reading this thread, and I took enough fur off of Jake to make another small puppy! Maybe I won't need to sweep the hardwood three times tomorrow :p

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Do those work on short-haired dogs, or just long-haired? I'd love to try one on Zeus, but his coat is maybe a bit shorter than a lab's.

RD

Are you dead yet?
It seems to work better on short-haired dogs like Labs than long haired dogs like Border Collies, but if the dog has loose hair within its coat, the shedding blade tends to get at least some of it out regardless of coat length.

I like using a grooming stone on dogs like Boxers with very short, sparse hair.

Members online