How did you get your dog(s)?

Purr

~3 Mutts~
How did everybody here get their furbabies?

Shelby was a present from my mom :p , and she came from a "free to good home" litter. She has surprisingly good health for coming from a place like that.

Beethoven and Bear came together, and I actually found them chained to someone's front porch, while visiting Virginia in December. They were about seven weeks old, and had been left outside for hours, with a sheet and a bowl of frozen water, when it was below freezing outside! They didn't even have collars. Just chains wrapped around their necks... :mad: Bear had gotten off of whatever was tying him up. The people just went out, and left them there... So, I actually just took them without asking :rolleyes: because, they probably would have ended up dead in a week :( . They're spoiled little beasties now... The people I took them from didn't even miss them; they never even looked for them! I was in the house right next door, and home all day with the babies, and those people never once made an effort to find them.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Martin (the bf) got Gus from the shelter for me!! He was a suprise of sorts! There is a story of how we came to have Gus in the dog stories section! It's under Gustav! :D

RD

Are you dead yet?
Both of my boys came from breeders, I got Ripley in December 2003 and Dakota in September 2004.
Buster, my mom's dog, came from a breeder as well, we got him in April of 1992. I don't remember much about getting him, though.

My two that have since died were rescues. Shiner came from a pound in Washington, my brother had her for 4 years and then gave her to us after he moved out, because she kept running 3 miles back to ME every day. :)
Buddy was a dog we found on our property, he was emaciated and had been severely abused. He apparently had been shot in the leg with a B.B. rifle and had internal parasites so severe that his coat was dry, frizzed and falling out in places. I had been wanting another dog for quite a while, and nobody had contacted us regarding our "found" ads in the newspaper and posted in public places, so we decided to keep him.

moe

Got mine from breeders after doing research into the breed for many years and meeting the different breeders to make sure I was happy where I got my dogs from.

Mo

neko12

I got a black lab mix from a pound and two mouths later she had puppies and that how I got neko. but the mother was not good to her puppies so I had to take care of them. and after I give the puppies to good home some one stold the mother from my backyard

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
mary was from an accidental litter..between my labrador and my pointer..i had pneumonia and had put off getting Tatey fixed..it was all my fault, but i did take good care of all the puppies and each was placed in a loving home..i got Tatey spayed immediantly after..so i have had mary from Birth. Victor came from Save_Our_Strays
he was a second chance puppy

Well, how we got Blackie was a freind found him. They new we had been looking for a dog (we were looking at pre-trained GSDs), and since they couldn't keep him (they had like, 3 Greyhounds and a baby that weren't too thrilled about a puppy), and since nobody had answered their ads about a found dog, they gave him to us. :)
Brownie (who is now deceased) found us. I was giving my little brother and sister a wagon ride, and she came walking up to us. I found out that she was freindly, and she just stuck around our house. After lots of begging from Jacob (my older bro) and I, she was allowed to stay.
Rose was an Oops litter of Blackie and Brownie's. They day before Blackie was to be neutered he decided to become a daddy. Brownie had 10 beautiful healthy puppies, and I wanted to keep all of them. lol But I kept Rose instead.
And then Loupie (who is now deceased) was our neighbor's dog. SHe wasn't even really ours, but we took care of her. They fed her and took her to the vet, but that was about it. I brushed her, gave her attention, etc. She was an Alasken Malamute who I adored.

Jake (lab/chow mix): before I was married & I lived at home we had a neighbor that had a dog. He was very irresponsible for that dog & he had puppies every year. He never tried to find them homes & never took care of them. Every year, one by one, they would get ran over in the road and lay there till there was nothing left. (He has since married a woman who takes care of the animals & had her spayed). 6 yrs ago she had a litter & one of the pups wandered up to my house. Funny, he never found his way back "home". I gave him to my bf who is now my husband.

Sadee (lab/chow mix, Jake's neice): A yr later she had another litter. 3:00 am I heard an awful noise outside my bedroom window. When I went out to see what it was it was the mother dog & a pack of dogs trying to eat a puppy (starved to death I'm sure). I ran them off & coaxed the puppy to me. That night I put her in bed with me (after a TON of food & a bath) & all night long, everywhere I'd roll to she'd follow to curl up to my chest. Funny, she never found her way back "home" either. She went to my bf too. Unfortunatly a few months ago she became very ill and died - vets couldn't figure out what was wrong. Rest in peace Sadee :( I miss you so!!

Cheeta (pit mix): After Sadee died we had a friend that had a pit x that they needed to get rid of because they were moving & couldn't take her. It had come to the point they were going to have to take her to the pound to be put to sleep because no one wanted her because of her breed. We said all along that if we had the room we'd take her in a heatbeat & find her a good home. That's the same week Sadee died. Although it was too soon to "replace" her we had to take Cheeta to help our friends. Now we're running into the same problem they did, no one wants her & we can't keep her because her and Princess DO NOT get along at all. We will not take her to the pound but I do hope I can find her a GOOD home soon.

Isabella (chihuahua): She came from a pound in 2003. She was my BABY!! I had her for a little over a year when she was accidently ran over & killed instantly, oh how I miss her so. My husband & I reminence (sp) all the time about her - she was the best!! I love you Issie :( I was heartbroken but my house was lonely & I had always wanted a boxer so I began the search.

Tyson (boxer): A couple days after that I had a man e-mail me saying he had a registered boxer that he bought for breeding puropses & for medical reasons had to have him neautered the day before he e-mailed me. The dog was no longer "usable" to him so he needed to get rid of him. We took Tyson home that day!!

Princess (boxer): A month after getting Ty the guy called back saying that once he left his female boxer stoped eating, she was greiving for her friend so much she was starving herself to death. He said we needed to take her too or she would die. Although we didn't want or have room for another dog we got her anyway for her health & have LOVED her ever since!!

Bentley (boxer): As you all know a couple of months ago I rec'd a call about a neglect case at my work. The dog warden went out & seized the dogs & was going to put them to sleep because they were so bad off they couldn't be adopted out in the required time frame. The female he picked up was so bad she couldn't be saved but we decided to foster the male & now we have a fat spoiled butterball named Bentley!!

The cats are a longer story that that so I'll stop with the dogs :D

Colby we got from a shelter as a puppy. We had been visiting various shelters, looking for the perfect dog, and we were immediately attracted to her. The day after we met her, my Dad and my older sister went and signed the papers.

May we found in the woods behind our house. My older sister, Abbie (mentioned above) and her friend found her. This was only a month or so after we got Colby. We fed her some treats, and couldn't bare to let such a sweet dog be euthanized.

We had druggie neighbors two doors down. They had a chow and chow mix and Tippy (they got her from a farm). She kept coming into our yard and wouldn't leave, so we asked if we could find her a home. We put the dog cage out on the deck with blankets, food and water for her. But then it was going to go below zero. We didn't want a frozen dog, so we let her inside. Abbie gave her a bath and she got a new collar. When her bath was finished, she ran down the stairs towards me with a big grin on her face that said, "Look at me!" We had planned on giving her to a family we know. They didn't want her, so we kept her.

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
Last Dec we decided we definitely wanted a dog and wanted to give a rescue dog a good life, but I was due to be away studying in Jan so we had put it on hold. On Xmas Eve we were trying to find some brussell sprouts for our Xmas dinner. We missed the last few at the outdoor market so headed to a new shopping centre in the next town. I happened to wander past a new pet shop and there was Misha in the window. She was a big dog in a small glass tank and there were loads of people standing at the window chattering away. We couldn't leave her, although we both hated paying a petshop for a dog. She was the best Xmas present we could have had.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
Oh yes. I'm a very bad girl...LOL couldn't help myself. Bwa ha ha...yeah, everytime I see a dog being neglected, I seriously consider helping it "get off the chain" and finding it a nice home LOL.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
Martine said:
Last Dec we decided we definitely wanted a dog and wanted to give a rescue dog a good life, but I was due to be away studying in Jan so we had put it on hold. On Xmas Eve we were trying to find some brussell sprouts for our Xmas dinner. We missed the last few at the outdoor market so headed to a new shopping centre in the next town. I happened to wander past a new pet shop and there was Misha in the window. She was a big dog in a small glass tank and there were loads of people standing at the window chattering away. We couldn't leave her, although we both hated paying a petshop for a dog. She was the best Xmas present we could have had.
Oooooh, how much is that Miiiiiisha in the window?!? LOL that's a cute story :p

Cidney

13 years ago I Cidney from a flea market and trust me, I will never ever do that again! I was very un-educated about getting a dog at that time and learned a very expensive lesson.

I got Scooter from a breeder and will buy from them again if I decide I want another Yorkie.

Adrienne

Well Java my first dog who now lives with my grandmother was bought out of an ad in the paper. She came to us with a herniated umbilicus. She is eight years old now and is happy as heck to live with my grandma who dotes on her continuously.

Primo we got from the shelter, she was a black lab/rottie mix. Sadly she had issues with gaurding food, toys, bones, us, to the point of biting several people in the face. When she went after our roomate we decided that she needed to be put to sleep. I felt horrible about it but obviously her previous owners did no training with her and she was just to unpredictable to be safe around. She was 2 when we adopted her. I still miss her, even with all her issues she was a love.

Neva my APBT was purchased from a breeder. We got her at 12 weeks and I believe that the breeders children were cruel to her. She has always had trust issues and would pee submissivley all the time when she was younger. Now she is six years old and for the most part very well adjusted, she still doesn't like strangers until they have been properly introduced but she has never attempted to bite anyone. I love her to death, she is great around my children and the rest of our family. I hope she is around forever!

Gunnar was purchased from a breeder after extensive research into the breeders available in our area. We couldn't be happier with him!

Like Purr we also rescued a dog from my moms neighbors house. It was a beautiful yellow lab puppy that he bought to replace his black lab that had recently died. He kept the black lab tied up outside all day by himself with little or no interaction. When we saw the puppy we knew he would have the same fate (already tied up outside at three months) so mom had me sneak over when he was at work and take the puppy. (This was at staff housing for the prisions, kinda risky to steal a dog there). Happily we placed him in a loving home. Sadly they got another dog shortly thereafter.

Bulloxer01

I feel soo bad because this one night me and my family were just watching t.v with the door open but the screen door shut and this big golden retriever knocked on our door, I was young so my mom and all the neighbors had a meeting about it to see who could take care of it, We couldnt because at the time we rented and dogs wernt allowed so it was taken to the pound, the poor thing i wish we could ve kept it, it was only about 2 years old.....

Last Oct there was a free mutt posting on a local 4x4 forum and after a week of people wanting to and people looking into seeing if they could take the pup, I stepped up and took him, it was getting close to the deadline the people had to taking him down to the aspca.

Could you let a face like this go to the shelter?

That picture is also why decided to name him Blue.

He was picked on by there pom and he has submisive issues with small children, he pissed on the floor of a local pet place when approached by a toddler.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
Aw! Poor baby Blue.....He's such a sweetie, too! I love that pic, he's so adorable!!

LOL Bull!! Yeah, I know that feeling...."can I keep him???" LOL. You sound like a cool person, so I'd like to say sorry for being as snotty as I was on the other thread...that's just a major sore spot for me.

LOL Go Adrienne!!! I would've done the same for the pup....I've always wondered why people keep dogs they don't care about? It's not like they enjoy the dog.....Great stories!!!

Members online

No members online now.