Any tips of trialing where dogs stay in car??

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
So this weekend we have another agility trial. Usually I put the crate(s) in the crating area, but with a few health issues lugging all that stuff around is just killing me.

Any tips for keeping them crated in the car? The location is indoors and the cars are right outside, it's suppose to be in the 50s. I figure to keep all the windows rolled down, perhaps a bowl of water in their crates, and yes... I will be checking on them frequently.

TIA!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Blaze stayed in the car during his DD trial. We were fortunate enough to be able to park in a parking garage, so it was like 20 degrees cooler in there. He was fine in his crate with the doors shut, car off, and battery fan running attached to his crate door. We actually just set up some chairs, opened the car doors, and camped out right there while not jumping.

50's isn't bad at all. Actually, for herding, the dogs are always in the car. Back hatch open.

I'd suggest bringing a chair and just relaxing with the dogs and car doors open. Then hook up some fans to each crate door and parking in the shade and check on them every few minutes.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Blaze stayed in the car during his DD trial. We were fortunate enough to be able to park in a parking garage, so it was like 20 degrees cooler in there. He was fine in his crate with the doors shut, car off, and battery fan running attached to his crate door. We actually just set up some chairs, opened the car doors, and camped out right there while not jumping.

50's isn't bad at all. Actually, for herding, the dogs are always in the car. Back hatch open.

I'd suggest bringing a chair and just relaxing with the dogs and car doors open. Then hook up some fans to each crate door and parking in the shade and check on them every few minutes.
^ I do that as well with my hatchback. When I can't be with the car, I left it shut off, windows open a good crack. This is of course in cool, mild weather.

We have car idling laws here due to the pollution it causes, not to mention gas prices... leaving my car running isn't an option. At a lot of trials and pet events, my car can be situated close to me, and a lot of folks have their hatches left open, windows left open, etc. It seems pet events are a very trusted environment. :p

darkchild16

We are Home.
I dont like it either I was just going off what she did LOL.

This was also YEAAAAAAAAAAARSSS ago like 2004/2005 and I *think* she just left the battery on not actually left the car idling.

In the winter our dogs just chill in the car since one of them usually goes with me anytime I leave. They like the car rides. LOL

Dekka

Just try me..
50 doesn't concern me at all. Even when its much warmer I will leave them in their crates in the car with all the windows open and the hatch open. Its the same temp as the shade tent so I don't see the big deal.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
My car is a jeep so no hatchback. And if left open it would drain the battery, right? Also locking the doors isn't an option, as I've got no keys for the door LOL. Good idea on the fans, I'll have to see if mine still work from a few years ago. If worse comes to worse I can always somehow bring the crates inside...

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
My car is a jeep so no hatchback. And if left open it would drain the battery, right? Also locking the doors isn't an option, as I've got no keys for the door LOL. Good idea on the fans, I'll have to see if mine still work from a few years ago. If worse comes to worse I can always somehow bring the crates inside...
How would leaving the car open drain the battery if the car isn't on? LOL

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Bring a dolly so it's easier for you to move the crates inside or move them one at a time.

Why are you bringing all the dogs if you're just running Kiba? One dog, one crate, a lot easier.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I crate out of my car all the time.

- closed with windows up if it's cloudy and below 50 degrees or if it's sunny and below 45ish degrees.

- closed but the rear windows are open all the way if it's cloudy and between 50 and 70 degrees or if it's sunny and between 45 and 65 degrees.

- the rear hatch is opened when the temp hits 65 or 70.

I will crate them elsewhere when the temp hits about 80, especially if it's sunny.

MicksMom

Those all weather/space blankets are worth their weight in gold, especialy the newer ones that are woven so air circulates (and the battery powered crate fans, too). I used to an all weather blanket along the entire side of my old truck (it had a cap), leave all windows open (cab & cap), as well as the back of the cap, and leave a water bucket. Caleb,& Mick before him, were very comfortable back there with their lawn chair cushion bed. When Caleb was too young to leave like that, I put a wire crate back there for him. Same set up, but with a fan on the crate door and the bucket in the crate.

BostonBanker

50 degrees wouldn't even make me think twice about leaving Meg in the car. Heck, if it wasn't sunny, I'd only have the windows cracked a bit or she'd be too cold. I'm trialing both days this weekend at two different sites, and will probably just work out of my car; not worth setting up a tent for 3 runs on Saturday, and I doubt there will be any crating space left when I get to the indoor trial on Sunday.

But yes, those silver mesh sun sheets are fantastic for working out of the car when it is hot. I have a huge one that covers the front windshield and both the front and back windows. I can put the windows most of the way down (Meg isn't one to challenge the windows with the mesh over them, and it stays very cool in the car even on warm sunny days.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I've got a trial this weekend that Psyche will be staying in the truck for, and honestly, a cracked window (since there won't be room for her crate to be set up) and frequent trips out for water and a walk, and I'm not all that worried.

As for lugging -- you should look into the fabric crates. They're so great. We usually have 3, if not 4, dogs at each trial and we used to lug around wire crates for all of them (including a Psyche sized wire crate!) and we got these fabric crates and we can lug EVERYTHING in one go, now. That's including, between the two of us, our dog bag, a tent, 4 crates, and 4 dogs. :D

Members online

No members online now.