Horrible story at the vet's office!!!!

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
How horrific!
What a tragic thing to go through and then the vet acts like that?! Holy Cow!
Im glad you have Dolce (cute name btw). Dolce means Candy in spanish.
Im glad your here:)

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
OMG.. your story had my eyes watering.

I could just feel it.. the rage from the vet, the sorrow from your pup.

If that had ever happened to me, i'd file a mispractise complaint with by law around here.

The vet that treated you like that had no right to. If your pup was suffering THAT much, any respectable vet would have offered that suggestion to you a while ago.

NO client should be treated like that at all.

Very sad. I'm glad you have your new pup to love and to cherish though :)

Dogs really are healing machines for physical and mental :)

Sxybeemr

Yeah, well even the breeder told me that if she knew where to file a complain, she would of done it for me. I am new to Florida, so is the breeder... Thank god, she was there to support me the whole time because I don t know what I would have done without her... Even my friends tought i was taking it so hard... I would talk about my puppy beeing at the vet, real sick and I was crying like non-sense... The breeder spoke to the vet several times, and when I told her my decision was taken, she said she totally understood my decision, and to go with what my heart was telling me... It s nice to see that some people understands my view of things... Some other just go with the vet. I just coudn t take it anymore. I was feeling as sick as the puppy. I did not eat anything for 4 days except for water and coffee... I was just crying and crying... Trying to find a way... A solution... waiting for a miracle maybe... Looking all over the internet for parvo-virus... They were even saying that for some reasons, with dobermans and rottweilers, the chances of survival was a 50% 50%. and with other breeds the chances were 80%. But nothing... Chanel was not doing any better after 5 days at the vet, so I could not let her vomit every 5 minuts day and night anymore! Plus the horrible diahreah! It was non human to me! Even tho it hurted me more then anything to take this decision, I did it for Chanel...

When I was 4 years old, I would tell my parents that when I would grow up, I'd be a vet. I just have a passion for animals... But growing up, i decided it was not a vocation for me. I can t stand to see a sick animal or to see an animal suffer... Trust me, I love my animals more then anything. I have a horse (pregnant, expecting a lil one in April), a dog, 2 cats...

I am glad as well to have Dolce. I didn t know that it meant Candy in spanish! lol... My italian neighbor told me it meant sweet in italian... I picked the name for the designer Dolce Gabanna. I tought it was a cute name, and the Dolce Gabanna "Light Blue" is my favorite perfume.

bubbatd

You are still grieving this pup and questioning yourself .... yes, the vet did wrong by you , but I still think that she thought she could save this pup . I'm not blaming you ... or her . Both of you had the best for the pup in mind. I personally think she had the first mishap in hopes you'd change your mind. It's over .... let it and her rest.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Firstly, I am SO sorry for your loss and the experience you had to endure. I think that is disgusting. I can see where the vet is coming from - she must see so many people who DO give up their pets for no reason, who think that pets are disposable, and that is one of the reasons that 80% of vets do not last past the first year of practice - it is just too distressing.

However. She IS a vet and she is trained in this kind of thing. She should also know that people are going to make these decisions however wrong they are and she can advise against them but to victimise a patient's owner is simply wrong, bad practice and unethical.

If that was me I would have reported her immediately to the American Veterinary Medical Association because who knows how many people she has done this to, and you did not deserve the trauma of not being able to properly say goodbye to Chanel, and to be treated in such a fashion by this vet.

Veterinary surgeons in America are subject to a code of ethics called the Principles of Veterinary Medical Ethics of the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). The full document can be found here: http://www.avma.org/issues/policy/ethics.asp This guide will show you that your vet did overstep her mark and therefore deserves to be disciplined under a violation of these principles. The information on how to file a complaint can be found here: http://www.avma.org/issues/policy/disciplinary_procedures.asp

This vet should be severley reprimanded for her conduct it is not something she should be allowed to get away with, or to put other people through.

I know what's done is done but this vet was in breach of her responsibilites as a medical practitioner and I really hope you follow this up.

Good luck, and I'm so glad you have Dolce now.

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
I'm sorry you lost your pet and that it's been such an emotional time for you.

I can see the other side of things, however, as I have worked for a vet. There are a number of things that may have gone on that you (admittedly overwrought as you have described) may have misinterpreted. Unfortunately owners, when they are distraught, often make things very difficult for their pets. During euthanasia, a vet may very well need to have the owner stand aside while someone else holds the pet, so as to keep the pet as still as possible (hard to do when an owner is sobbing hysterically). Pushing you aside wouldn't have been proper, but having a tech hold the pet would be.

As far as signing the puppy over to her - that is not a bad practice and I can't see that the vet would have been doing it for money. It was most likely out of the goodness of her heart that she wanted to see if she could save the pup (and probably thought it had a good chance or she wouldn't have offered). It makes sense to me that she would expect you to sign the pup over and waive all rights .. otherwise it puts her in a rough position legally. It was very kind of her to offer to not have you pay the bill if you signed the pup over - that is far and beyond what most vets would do. As you said, you were "at the end of the road" .. it's not like the vet tried to take a healthy pup from you.

Other than maybe being rude, abrupt and insensitive, I can't see that the vet did anything unethical - nothing to report her for, at least.

I acquired my old dog from the vet clinic when she came in with health problems and the people didn't have the money (or the desire) to deal with her problems. We offered to let them sign her over, they chose to do it and she came home with me after surgery. We were going to find her a good home and somehow she just never left me - nearly 15 years ago now. It was a kindness that led us to offer to take care of her, not a desire to make some money.

I'm so sorry you lost a puppy in this way .. and I hope your new pup is happy and healthy and that you sterilized everything in your home so as to avoid exposure to parvo in case your previous pup did have it (parvo virus can last a LONG time - months and sometimes years).

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Members online

No members online now.