Dog still goes in the house after almost 2 years

Hi there,

I've had my Dachshund for nearly two years, and he still doesn't know to go to the washroom OUTSIDE. I've tried paper training him, he goes there sometimes, but not all the time.

I'm pretty sure that he knows that he's SUPPOSED to go outside, but it's as if he just doesn't care; if he feels like going, he won't make an effort to go outside, he'll just go wherever he feels like it INSIDE.

He really isn't a dumb dog, and I think that the problem was that when he was a pup he got moved back and forth from one house to another, so he became confused ... and I'm sure I could've been a better trainer. So, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some solutions to this....??

Thanks!
Kyle

Sakasha

Sheltered
Since the behavior has been allowed for 2 years, it may be safe to assume that your dog thinks that inside is a perfectly acceptable place to relieve himself.

I would reccomend starting from scratch. Treat him like a puppy (when it comes to housebreaking), and throw all expectations to the wind. My advice would be to get a crate. Confine him when you can't suppervise to make sure he dosen't have any accidents. As soon as you take him out of the crate, bring him straight outside, and praise him like crazy if he goes to the bathroom. If not, either return him to his crate, or keep an eye on him. If he looks as though he has to go, take him outside. If he does go outside, the initiate playtime, reward him for good behavior. Just remember that the crate should never be used as punishment, and make sure he gets plenty of time to spend with you.

If you don't want to use the crate, you could try keeping him leashed when he is in the house. Keep him with you at all times, and watch for signs that he might have to go. If he begins circling or sniffing around, take him outside and give him some time to relieve himself. Always praise when he goes outside!

Housebreaking can be quite a process, so don't expect miracle results overnight. Be patient and consistent, and try to avoid giving him the option to make mistakes.

Good luck, and keep us updated on his progress!

MoparStar

Try not; DO or do not
While not true with every case, some dogs that soil indoors as adults simply need a way to effectively communicate their need. Almost all of the adult dogs with house training issues that I have ever worked with have benefited greatly from the introduction of a bell. The bell is hung next to the door at the dog's nose level. (details in the training section under topic "Fine tune your house training.") For adult dogs, I begin by taking them out to potty every hour and a half. When you go to the door let the dog see you hit the bell with your hand and get excited about letting him out. Usually dogs are ringing it themselves to be let out before the day is out. It is important that you NEVER give a food reward for using the bell. Let the dog make the association between ringing the bell and getting let out on his own. If your problem is mainly urination, you need to have your vet rule out any physical cause, such as bladder or kidney issues and diabetes which is common in small breeds. Also, an intact (unneutered) dog will soil in the house to mark territory. If your dog is not of show quality (and you plan to actually show him) you should have him neutered. This will not stop territorial marking right away, but it is the first step in teaching your dog that the house is YOUR territory, and his marking is unacceptable. If your little guy has issues with bowel movements as well as urination, adress your feeding practices and start a regimin of set feeding times and removal of food once your dog has stopped eating. This way you can monitor his digestive process, and have a better idea of when he will need to go. If he is an overnight soiler, you may need to remove access to food and water after a certain time until he learns to control his urges better. Look for subtle signs from him, and make a big, happy deal about going outside. It takes a little patience and dedication on your part but you should start to notice a difference in a week or less if you decide to try this technique. If your dog will play outside then go in the house once you let him in, try confining him to a crate immediately after coming in for ten minutes if he did not go outside. After ten minutes take him back outside to go. Repeat as many times as necessary to get him to go outside. Some people may disagree with me on this next point, but if you catch your dog in the act it is OK to reprimand them for their transgression as long as it is done without physically harming your dog. Clap, AAAK!, a loud firm OUTSIDE!, etc. Then take him to the appropriate spot. If you come upon the mess after the subject has fled the scene, clean it up and say NOTHING. It can be confusing to your dog to be reprimanded at that point, and you do not want your dog to associate being called to come with being chastized. I have also worked with many "poop eaters" that were so worried about defecating inside that they would eat their poop to avoid punishment. Be firm and consistent with your dog, and don't forget to heap on the praise and love as he is learning the proper potty proceedure.

These are awesome suggestions. My problem with the 2 older yorkie boys we adopted is that they lived in a cage their whole lives and have no problem going in their crates if we aren't home. For instance they were put in there crate today @ 11:30 and by 2:45 when my kids returned home they had pooped all in their crate. Now they had been out numerous times from 5:30 a.m. up until 11:30... Do you have anything I can try for this?? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

MoparStar

Try not; DO or do not
The best way to keep a dog from pooping in the crate is to get a crate that is too short for them to squat in. Use it only as long as necessary to teach them bowel control. A short crate also keeps most dogs from barking or screaming all day, as many will not raise a ruckus if they can not fully stand. This is a technique for the short term, and you should expect to spend the first couple of sessions (choose a weekend when you will be home) close by when using a short crate. You need not buy a new crate, use a little creativity to reduce the height with something you have on hand. I hope you have good results with this, if not, try a larger crate with a shallow litter pan. I would rather sweep up some litter than scrub up poo!

Members online