Blow dryer for Newf?

You'll have to forgive me if this has already been asked. I just signed up for the forum and haven't been able to really start exploring the forum.

We will be adding a Newf to our family in the near future and I have been doing research on what we will need for him. It has been recommended that we buy a blow dryer. I've been looking at them and some are quite pricey, so I want to make sure we get a good one. I don't want to spend a fortune on one if I can get a good one that isn't too expensive. Which dryer is best for a Newf? Alsom we like the idea of keeping him with a "puppy cut". Does that make a difference for what blow dryer we need?

Thanks!

No suggestions?

I've had 2 recommended to me, but not by Newf owners.
The first is the Metro AF Quick Draw 1.3 Hp
The second is Double K Challengair 2000AD - 2 Speed

I'm not sure what I should be looking for in a dryer. Anyone have experience with one of these?

Kilter

What I would suggest over a puppy clip is to get a groomer to thin the coat out as needed - using thinning shears to cut the hair so it still will look fluffy, but not have the thickness.

Do you intend to keep up on grooming yourself? If so a grooming table and noose might be an idea, as well as a bathing setup, and of course drier. The ideal would be a cage drier that you can hook on a crate after a bath.

But really, using a good fan to keep the air circulating might do just as well, if you make sure he's in something like an xpen without a solid floor (you can get kennel decking or even deck tiles to put under, so there's air flow).

Kilter

Forgot to mention doing the 'puppy cut' will make his coat much harder to deal with overall. The guard hairs are longer than the undercoat for a reason, and if you shave him, the coat all over will be more fuzzy and attract dirt, burs, and such MUCH worse. Plus I find the shaved dogs mat more than the unshaved dogs, same reasoning.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
With newfies you really want slow moving steady air. Too much force and the hair twists so super powerful ones just aren't needed.. Really just about any available one on the market will do the job so I wouldn't go spendy on it. Pull the nozzle off - and start drying.... hope you get a comfortable chair - you'll be there for awhile.

Personally I wouldn't trim a newfie except for a sanitary and even then only if dingleberries are an issue - just keep up on the grooming

Thanks for the replies. We are moving to a house on the water where he will be able to swim often, so I want to make sure we can dry him off properly.

Kilter, I was told that the puppy cut would help him with mats, etc. I had no idea it would make it harder. I intend to groom him often and am trying to find the best brushes to do the job. I'm thinking the Furminator. Guess i'll stay away from puppy cuts. I don't want him to be uncomfortable. Thanks for the info!

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
furminator is a bad choice. All it'll do is take out guard hairs. You need a comb, a large pin brush, and a rake. For mats you'll want a long toothed dematter - it'll split any mats and severe tangles and allow you to work them out.

Members online

No members online now.