Cloth diapers! Anyone else use them or want to?

Cloth Diapers

• Yes for enviromental reason

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Yes for medical reasons

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Yes for money reason and cuteness

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No GROSS

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • No too hard

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Dont know where to start but interested

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Shrimp Scampi

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

CaliTerp07

Same with re-usable cloth menstral pads. the whole idea just grosses me out.

When it comes to disgusting bodily fluids... the less contact I have with it the better. I like things that I can use then THROW AWAY and forget about lol no muss no fuss.

I can't imagine putting that stuff in my laundry or having it around my house!!! or having to carry it around dirty, even in a bag!!!

so no lol I do love the environment..but it just seems like a yucky hassle to me.
Yup, this. I care about the environment and do quite a bit towards reducing my footprint, but reusing diapers is not something I would ever be willing to do.

Good for people who want to, but no way will it ever happen in this house.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
That's the thing. You DON'T put poop through your wash. You dump it first. You soak your diapers in vinegar which degrades urine to nothing THEN wash.

As for hassle. I find killing the planet a hassle. It hassles me that my grandchildren won't have a beautiful world because of a "hassle". :(
Oh don't give me that. lol my parents drive 100% electric cars, my apartment building is 100% eco friendly and runs on steam, I recycle, reuse, I run/bike most days or public transport and NEVER drive which trust me SAVES A LOT MORE then some diapers lol
My family's company also has jump started Haiti's way in wind energy and first ever recycling program.
I don't use styrofoam or support restaurants that do, I have a re-usable water bottle, all the electricity in my childhood home ran on 100% solar panels. We NEVER EVER buy meat at super-markets and instead only support local organic.

Same as unplugging electronics when they aren't in use. Does it make you feel good? Sure it does! YAY I'M HELPING THE WORLD ONE UNPLUGGED TOASTER AT A TIME!! ... does it really make that much of a difference? No lol honestly it does not.. I wrote a paper on the "feel good aspect" of it vs the actual rewards.
And if it was difficult to do.. I wouldn't blame people for passing on it. There are much much bigger fish to fry.

but I would NEVER EVER try to make other people feel guilty for not doing all that. We all do what we can, when we can, how we can.. we weigh what is worth it to us and how much we can help personally.. and more importantly, we do our RESEARCH to find out what steps towards being eco-friendly are truly worth it environment wise. I just am not sold on the eco rewards of re-useables.

So forgive me for killing the planet by not wanting to soak/deal with human waste.

"There is no answer," said Chaz Miller, director of state programs for the National Solid Wastes Management Association. No one can say definitively whether cloth or disposable diapers are better for the environment.
Most disposable diapers are not even bio-degradable.
"There are downsides to both," Berkeley's Hayes said. "It's a tossup of which is worst: wasting our water supply or filling up our landfills."

Either way. Neither option is "eco-friendly" or saving the planet.

Everybody makes decisions based on reward vs. effort. It's human nature.

I don't consider the hassle of re-usable human waste products (diapers, pads etc..) worth their weight eco-friendly wise for me to deal with the hassle and waste they cause ANYWAY. (soaking, washing otherwise wasting water/energy on laundry AND the fact that when finally thrown away, most aren't even biodegradable etc..)

Money saving? I'm sure.
Eco-friendly? Not totally.

I'm all FOR IT for those who want to make the effort and who these kinds of things work for.
but please let us not try the guilt thing because frankly, it just doesn't hold water. The dent in my carbon footprint caused by tampons is MICROSCOPIC lol trust me. I've done the research. Health reasons? Money reasons? That's another theory that IMO is worth looking into more then the eco aspect.

Last edited:

Grab

And the cloth diapers stayed wet.. unlike disposables that absorb the wetness. I felt like i was going though so many cloth diapers because I didn't want her sitting in a wet diaper. And the smell of them was enough to make me wanna puke...lol
All of Clive's have been AIO and were/are very absorbant. However, even though he's in disposables 98% of the time, we change him just as often. Wicking away of moisture or no, if I discover he's peed, he is immediately changed. We do go through a lot of diapers this way, but gross, lol.

He doesn't care which diapers he wears now, but as a little guy he was always way more cheerful in his soft cloth diapers. :)

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I will give you that. Did you know that 50% of the worlds landfills are diapers. Every single diaper manufactured is still in existence today.

I don't see how my driving a petrol car means I should just use disposable diapers. I will continue to do everything I can to reduce my foot print and I wish more people did.

By the way, those studies about how sposies are better for the environment were funded by, you guessed it, the diaper companies. Kinda like Hills funds vets nutrition "education".

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
My SIL had cloth diapers with disposable inserts. That way if there was a huge mess you could still throw most of it away, but it was a lot less that was actually going into the landfill. I could deal with that I think.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I will give you that. Did you know that 50% of the worlds landfills are diapers. Every single diaper manufactured is still in existence today.

I don't see how my driving a petrol car means I should just use disposable diapers. I will continue to do everything I can to reduce my foot print and I wish more people did.

By the way, those studies about how sposies are better for the environment were funded by, you guessed it, the diaper companies. Kinda like Hills funds vets nutrition "education".
I'm not saying that by doing the small thing (using re-usable diapers) negates how bad cars are for the environment. By all means, people should do what they can. Would I ever drive a gas car? No. But hey.. to each their own.

I would NEVER EVER give you the all mighty guilt trip about how your car is killing the environment or that you are selfish for driving one. Because I don't know you or the factors or why you choose to drive a car.

Share my thoughts on running/bikes/buses? Sure :) anytime.
but the almighty guilt trip about the children and the ozone and the polar bears.. how would that make you feel? would it really change anything? wouldn't you feel like for all that you do to TRY for the earth.. it's a little rude to call you some kind of earth killer just because you drive a car?

exactly.

As for diapers.. it's not something I am familiar with and hey, I'm not even sure how many diapers babies even use. I am not saying one way is right or wrong.
I am saying that people should do their own research on the cost vs. benefits and their lifestyle and make their OWN decision instead of made to feel guilty because although they do ALL THEY CAN, they don't want to or can't re-use diapers.

I KNOW feminine products wise.. I am wasting less using tampons then I would using re-usable pads. Laundry/water energy wise alone. The fact that it grosses me out? Icing on the cake.

I do all I can and trust me, have made a lot more change in people by example than I have trying to guilt them with all I do. The familiar "OH SHAME ON YOU!! LOOK AT ME BEING ECO FRIENDLY YOU EARTH KILLER!" tactic has been tried and tried and guess what? It doesn't work. Honey and vinegar. Have the facts, be an example.. sure. but the guilt trip does nothing for the cause.

I don't claim to know a lot about diapers. but I do know that I am doing all I can for the environment and will not be fed the "OH BUT THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" guilt trip over something as small waste wise as my personal feminine products.

I could sell the bike, put up my running shoes and buy a car and drive around for 10 days and do a lot worse for the environment then I would ever save by using re-usable menstral pads for the rest of my life lol

There are A LOT of arguments for re-usable diapers. The money, they are cute etc.. etc..
but the guilt trip just does nothing for me personally. I put way too much of an effort to be chastised for one decision that frankly, is totally personal.

Just my 2 cents.

CaliTerp07

Huh? 50%? A quick google search brings up 2% in the US, 15% in Europe.

According to the EPA’s most recent municipal waste report (2008), 2.3% by weight of products discarded in the municipal waste stream are disposable diapers.
In Europe, where there is considerably more recycling and less discarding of durable goods, disposable diapers make up 15% of trash.
http://whatawaste.info/2010/7-6-billion-pounds-of-diaper-trash/

This is actually interesting too. Basically, there is significant environmental impact to either diapering choice:

It's great to try to move our lives in the direction of ecological righteousness, but it's also true that every human activity has environmental impact -- especially the activities of that fraction of the human population rich enough to have diapers of any kind. From the earth's point of view it's not all that important which kind of diapers you use. The important decision was having the baby.
http://www.sustainer.org/dhm_archive/index.php?display_article=vn321diapersed

Want to save the environment? Have less kids.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
:rofl1:
so by also being practically infertile and not having any children.. I'm saving the environment even more! SUCCESS!! haha

My biggest vices? Electronics (both the manufacturing of them and using them). Electricity (airconditioning, wifi, big refrigerator) and of course, although buses/subways do HELP.. they still pack a punch.

We all have things we could do BETTER. Not have kids, not be part of society, not eat meat, grow our own food, no running water, no electricity, in fact, don't buy anything at all, don't use anything,don't talk to anyone lol
Just live in the hills like a mountain man lol
but what kind of life would that be if you didn't want it?

My point is..nobody here is perfect. By being on the computer alone lol our carbon footprints are all existent. ..which makes the guilt trip kind of a waste of time.

puppydog

My SIL had cloth diapers with disposable inserts. That way if there was a huge mess you could still throw most of it away, but it was a lot less that was actually going into the landfill. I could deal with that I think.
This. You get flushable inserts too. So its just as easy and hassle free as a sposie.

puppydog

I'm not saying that by doing the small thing (using re-usable diapers) negates how bad cars are for the environment. By all means, people should do what they can. Would I ever drive a gas car? No. But hey.. to each their own.

I would NEVER EVER give you the all mighty guilt trip about how your car is killing the environment or that you are selfish for driving one. Because I don't know you or the factors or why you choose to drive a car.

Share my thoughts on running/bikes/buses? Sure :) anytime.
but the almighty guilt trip about the children and the ozone and the polar bears.. how would that make you feel? would it really change anything? wouldn't you feel like for all that you do to TRY for the earth.. it's a little rude to call you some kind of earth killer just because you drive a car?

exactly.

As for diapers.. it's not something I am familiar with and hey, I'm not even sure how many diapers babies even use. I am not saying one way is right or wrong.
I am saying that people should do their own research on the cost vs. benefits and their lifestyle and make their OWN decision instead of made to feel guilty because although they do ALL THEY CAN, they don't want to or can't re-use diapers.

I KNOW feminine products wise.. I am wasting less using tampons then I would using re-usable pads. Laundry/water energy wise alone. The fact that it grosses me out? Icing on the cake.

I do all I can and trust me, have made a lot more change in people by example than I have trying to guilt them with all I do. The familiar "OH SHAME ON YOU!! LOOK AT ME BEING ECO FRIENDLY YOU EARTH KILLER!" tactic has been tried and tried and guess what? It doesn't work. Honey and vinegar. Have the facts, be an example.. sure. but the guilt trip does nothing for the cause.

I don't claim to know a lot about diapers. but I do know that I am doing all I can for the environment and will not be fed the "OH BUT THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" guilt trip over something as small waste wise as my personal feminine products.

I could sell the bike, put up my running shoes and buy a car and drive around for 10 days and do a lot worse for the environment then I would ever save by using re-usable menstral pads for the rest of my life lol

There are A LOT of arguments for re-usable diapers. The money, they are cute etc.. etc..
but the guilt trip just does nothing for me personally. I put way too much of an effort to be chastised for one decision that frankly, is totally personal.

Just my 2 cents.
You sure did take my opinion personal like. I didn't say a thing about you. Last time I checked you don't have kids, never mind kids in sposies.

I was commenting on the "hassle" comment I get ALL the time.

You do what you want. Its not my problem and frankly, I don't care.

With regards to the tampons being green comment. Di you have any idea how much water and chemicals it takes to produce them? Lots.

I don't use cloth liners because I think they are vile. But I use a menstrual cup and it makes me feel good to know I'm doing my part. Same goes for cloth dipes.

As I said, I don't care if you or anyone else uses sposies. Just don't tell me that my planet is not worth your "hassle".

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
Personally I don't see the issue. Even people who say they wouldn't do it because they don't want to deal with human waste need to realize that when you have a blow out and it gets all over the clothes, sheets, and so on that you will be dealing with it any way. And in a similar fashion. You will need to not only clean off your child but also rinse off the clothes they were in and if they were in their crip at the time, stoller or so on you will need to clean those too. And I dealt with more blow outs with disposables then with cloth.

It is a personal decision. Just as choosing to formula feed or breast feed is a personal decision. I have no issue with it. I know either way I go I will have to deal with the mess any way. So I am not bothered by it. Just as cleaning up puke doesn't bother me but for my partner he litterally gets ill just cleaning up after one of the dogs or cats puking. So it is all in what a person is comfortable with. I like it because it saves money, not really much more work for me and yes they are so cute. Others may choose differently for their own personal reasons. NEITHER side should be made to feel guilty or disgusting for their choice.

puppydog

Agreed Nicole.

I must admit. I can help but feel a smug glow when I know I'm doing my part to be green though.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Eh I'm just tired and bored and riding the crimson wave.. which in turn makes me long winded. So I'm done.
instead..
I GIVE YOU LITTLE ANIMALS ON A ROOMBA!!

..p.s: does anybody know what those things are?? I know I've seen them but their names are escaping me.

Danefied

I wouldn’t say cloth vs. disposable diapers equates to breast vs. bottle. Though I agree on not attacking each other over choices.
However, I can honestly say that providing breastmilk for my premature babies was very much a life or death type decision for me. I don’t think what they wore on their butts mattered that much.

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
I wouldn’t say cloth vs. disposable diapers equates to breast vs. bottle. Though I agree on not attacking each other over choices.
However, I can honestly say that providing breastmilk for my premature babies was very much a life or death type decision for me. I don’t think what they wore on their butts mattered that much.
Oh I agree. Personally I will always breast feed but I also will not give people guilt trips or try to make them feel bad for choosing to formula feed. Which is why I used it as an example. I have known women that just could not do it for many reasons, some medical, some just because they could not produce enough and so on. And when people would attack them for formula feeding they would feel so bad about it. We don't always know the reasons for peoples choices so why try and make them feel disgusting or guilty for which ever way they choose to go.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I would use cloth diapers waaaaay before I would use reusable feminine products.....

I also don't think I could get used cloth diapers. I have a thing with certain used clothing--no used underwear or socks-no matter how much bleach is used.

Fran27

I wanted to, but then we got twins and I just didn't want to deal with the extra laundry (I hate doing laundry). I'm glad we didn't because our apartment didn't have washing machines and it would have added fast at $3.50 a load.

zoe08

Oh I agree. Personally I will always breast feed but I also will not give people guilt trips or try to make them feel bad for choosing to formula feed.
Sometimes it is not about CHOOSING to formula feed, but simply choosing TO FEED your baby. I will choose formula any day over having a baby that won't grow or gain weight because I do not make enough milk combined with the fact that my babies would rather sleep than nurse, and yes I tried pumping only to get a couple drops in 10 minutes. Sorry that I will always choose MY BABY's health before what the world says is best for EVERYONE. Just like why I had c-sections, because at the time it was less stress on MY BABY. I was more concerned over the health of MY BABY than how long it would take ME to recover.

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
Sometimes it is not about CHOOSING to formula feed, but simply choosing TO FEED your baby. I will choose formula any day over having a baby that won't grow or gain weight because I do not make enough milk combined with the fact that my babies would rather sleep than nurse, and yes I tried pumping only to get a couple drops in 10 minutes. Sorry that I will always choose MY BABY's health before what the world says is best for EVERYONE. Just like why I had c-sections, because at the time it was less stress on MY BABY. I was more concerned over the health of MY BABY than how long it would take ME to recover.
If you had put in the rest of the post that you quoted from you would have seen where I said that I would not judge because I know women who could not breast feed for medical reasons or could not produce enough milk or so on. So I do agree with you.

Members online