Should I do it?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Hm......I'm thinking about putting Artimis in a training class. It's completely free if I do it at my job, so money is in no way an issue.

It's more of the fact that I've realized how horrible I've been on keeping up with his socialization with people and his training. :eek: It's embarrassing to admit but he hasn't been into a single store or around people in general in more than 2 months. :( Well, other than the dog park a few times, but that doesn't count because he is 100% great with people at the dog park.

The thing I'm worried about is because he hasn't been around people in more than 2 months I don't know how he is going to react. Especially in an enclosed area with a bunch of different people and possibly his worst type of people, kids. :yikes: I don't want to force him into a situation that makes him more stressed out. Plus, I'd have to do it at my job so honestly, I'm kinda embarrassed to try. :eek:

The other part is if I did it I'd likely have to do it myself, David does not like the trainer AT ALL. So I don't know if I could convince him to come.

I don't know, I guess it's mostly my pride I'm worried of hurting. What do you guys think?

Also, if I did go, I'm not sure if I would want to take the begginner course (even though he is awesome with all those behaviors) or the intermediate course, where he could use work on. I thought beginner would help him get use to the environment, but at the same time he may get bored easily. On the other hand Intermediate would keep him busy learning one or two new things and working on behaviors I haven't worked on hard enough.

Saeleofu

I think the reasons you mentioned you don't want to take him are all the reasons you should take him.

I think I'd stick him in bginner so he can get used to the environemnt. If he gets bored, keep him occupied. When my dogs are waiting around in class they're always doing something to keep them busy. Gavroche generally retrieves things, and Logan works on fine-tuning a task or two.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
YES you should do it. ;)

If it's free, and you're not sure how he's going to do, start with beginner. You can take intermediate for free later. :D But seriously, don't push it. If he has issues with strange people, consider this class, "Basic behaviors, but now with distraction!"

Plus, since it is free, is there any reason you couldn't jump into intermediate if you were really board to tears in basic?

lizzybeth727

Hm......I'm thinking about putting Artimis in a training class. It's completely free if I do it at my job, so money is in no way an issue.
I stopped reading here. :D

YES. TAKE THE CLASS.

At my work we recently got to bring our personal dogs to do some training with. ALL of the trainers were very nervous bringing our own dogs, because ALL of us don't do as much work as we probably should with our own dogs. But the thing is, we're all in the same boat. So as embarrassing as it is for Keegan to act up, I know that all the other trainers are embarrassed by their dogs as well and honestly, probably not even paying attention to my dog. :D

Because that's another thing to remember about training class: the only people paying attention to your dog are yourself and the trainer. I'm taking a class with Keegan right now, I've been with the same group of people and dogs for 10 weeks now, and I can't tell you a single thing about how any of them work. Because I'm way too focused on Keegan. I have a friend in the class; one night I was complaining about how Keegan was barking non-stop, and she didn't even notice, because 1.) it wasn't actually as bad as I perceived it to be, and 2.) she was paying attention to her dog and ignoring my dog. :D

So, TAKE THE CLASS. :p

Taqroy

Pretty much what Lizzybeth said. Most of the trainers I work with don't even have time to work their own dogs so they're as badly behaved as mine are. :p

Do you not want to go to the classes by yourself? I like going by myself, partly because I can give my full attention to my dog and partly because I know if Matt came I would spend the whole time being a jerk and telling him how he's doing it RONG. LOL.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
You guys are right, I should just do it and not be so worried. Though, I decided until the class starts I'm going to take him into the stores around here to get him around people again before class.

I just took him though petsmart here and it was not that great. >_< Mainly I was shaking like a leaf the entire time, even though he did pretty well. I kept moving for the most part, asked for a few downs and sits and he did really well. There was one guy who he didn't like and growled a bit at, as we tried to move away the guy followed directly behind us so that didn't help, but overall with the people he was really good.

Though, he's starting to show some bad Leash-reactivity to other dogs! :yikes: Not that we need yet another thing to add to his bad behaviors in public. >_< He is absolutely great with other dogs at the dog park or off-leash, but he is now starting to bark/growl at other dogs when on-leash. So I guess that's another thing we need to work on.

YES you should do it. ;)

If it's free, and you're not sure how he's going to do, start with beginner. You can take intermediate for free later. :D But seriously, don't push it. If he has issues with strange people, consider this class, "Basic behaviors, but now with distraction!"

Plus, since it is free, is there any reason you couldn't jump into intermediate if you were really board to tears in basic?
Yeah, there's nothing stopping us from going to intermediate if we wanted to, I'm just nervous :eek:

I stopped reading here. :D

YES. TAKE THE CLASS.

At my work we recently got to bring our personal dogs to do some training with. ALL of the trainers were very nervous bringing our own dogs, because ALL of us don't do as much work as we probably should with our own dogs. But the thing is, we're all in the same boat. So as embarrassing as it is for Keegan to act up, I know that all the other trainers are embarrassed by their dogs as well and honestly, probably not even paying attention to my dog. :D

Because that's another thing to remember about training class: the only people paying attention to your dog are yourself and the trainer. I'm taking a class with Keegan right now, I've been with the same group of people and dogs for 10 weeks now, and I can't tell you a single thing about how any of them work. Because I'm way too focused on Keegan. I have a friend in the class; one night I was complaining about how Keegan was barking non-stop, and she didn't even notice, because 1.) it wasn't actually as bad as I perceived it to be, and 2.) she was paying attention to her dog and ignoring my dog. :D

So, TAKE THE CLASS. :p
Well, I've seen the other trainer's dogs, and they are awesome. >_< So honestly, I think that makes it worse. I mean, I could handle if it was just being naughty and not listening, it's more the people-reactivity that I'm nervous to show.

Pretty much what Lizzybeth said. Most of the trainers I work with don't even have time to work their own dogs so they're as badly behaved as mine are. :p

Do you not want to go to the classes by yourself? I like going by myself, partly because I can give my full attention to my dog and partly because I know if Matt came I would spend the whole time being a jerk and telling him how he's doing it RONG. LOL.
Not really, well....I don't know. Part of me wants David to be there, but the other part doesn't.

Thanks guys, I think I just need to bite the bullet and do it and see how it goes and hope for the best! I'm going to take him to Lowe's now.

Saeleofu

Though, he's starting to show some bad Leash-reactivity to other dogs
Honestly, if you were really THAT nervous taking him to a pet store, he's probably feeding off your anxiety. Go in assuming that he's going to be good, but prepare for the worst. Be confident, and that alone will probably do wonders for him.

I usually have a TON of show/trail anxiety. This time around I had very little the first day, and none the second day, and it DEFINITELY showed in my dogs. They really do know these things. Maybe taking some Rescue Remedy yourself (and you can use it on him too) will help. I used to use it on myself before shows, and while I was still getting Gavroche over his issues I used it on him when we'd go to Petsmart or anything.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Honestly, if you were really THAT nervous taking him to a pet store, he's probably feeding off your anxiety. Go in assuming that he's going to be good, but prepare for the worst. Be confident, and that alone will probably do wonders for him.

I usually have a TON of show/trail anxiety. This time around I had very little the first day, and none the second day, and it DEFINITELY showed in my dogs. They really do know these things. Maybe taking some Rescue Remedy yourself (and you can use it on him too) will help. I used to use it on myself before shows, and while I was still getting Gavroche over his issues I used it on him when we'd go to Petsmart or anything.
LOL Yeah, I probably will take some rescue remedy before hand. I haven't even gone into my own store yet, that's the part that makes me the most nervous. I'm nervous about the people who work with me trying to pet Art, which will trigger a reaction I'm sure. >_<

I think the dog reaction on leash has to do with the fact the only dogs he's met lately on leash are big butt-holes. They are jerkey dogs that want to do nothing but bark/growl/lash at him so that may also contribute. I don't know, I'll have to see how it goes over the next few weeks.

THanks for all the help! ^_^

Members online

No members online now.