My Pittbull Mix attacks other dogs..

I have Pittbull/Australian Cattle Dog Mix and hes gonna be 3 on January 22nd. My brother recently got a Pittbull pup and my dog wont have anything to do with her. Whether it be in the house or out in the yard. His hair goes up and he attacks her. What do I do about it? I dont want to get rid of him. I mean what if the aggression is only starting with the other dogs, and next moves to people. I dont want to have to worry about my girlfriends special needs kids because hes getting itchy and aggressive.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Dog aggression and human aggression are completely different and unrelated issues. One does not turn into the other, so you don't need to worry about that at all.

You do have a Pit Bull mix, which can have dog aggression issues (and even some Cattle Dogs can be pretty snarky with other dogs) but it would be nice if you could explain the situations/your dogs behaviour a bit more before anyone can really help you with it.

Well Marco is a really good dog. He's great around kids of all ages and he loves cats too. Hes alot on hyper side, and he doesnt really like to go outside. Only to go to the bathroom.

My brother got a 2 month old red nose pitt and he brings her over to our place during the day while he and his girlfriend are at work. Marco has to be kept separated from her, because I guess he sees her as a threat. He did the samething with my Beagle (Shiloh) that I had to give to my sister.

Ohm

A Unit of Resistance
you really do need specialized help with this. i would hire the services of a certified behaviorist before allowing your dog to be around small dogs again. the problem could be as large as predation over small dogs and animals, or as small as a reaction to new things. both are going to be treated differently and there really is no room for error.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I think what vanilla was asking for was more concrete examples of what your dog does. However, dog aggression is a very serious matter and you should get a behaviorist asap.

The thing is, Marco isnt that big of a dog. He's about the size of an Austrailian Cattle dog. I think he's only a quarter Pitt, but his behavior over trying to dominate other dogs is something I cant have.

My girlfriend's 6 year old son is autistic and epileptic. She wants to get him a seizure alert dog. If Marco doesnt stop his aggressive behavior, I will have no other choice but to give him up. I will do that for her son if i have no other choice.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Ok, but what does he do? How does he "attack"? What starts these attacks? How are you controlling the situations he's in? How much obedience training does he have? Go to google and search for behaviorists in your area.

Okay, lets start with Shiloh. Marco seemed to get along with Shiloh at first, then outta nowhere, he started physically attacking Shiloh. We're talking blood and teeth. The only way to break them up was to turn on the hose and shoot them with it. It was intense to see my two dogs fighting. After that, I kept them apart, and sent Shiloh on a plane to NY to live with my sister.

With my brother's pitt pup. We introduced them out front. On leashes, and Marco seemed fine with that. He was even controllable outback in the yard. But wen it came to my bedroom, where he sleeps, his back hairs go up and he bares his teeth. He attacks her.

Theres no reason for it. I used to beable to take him to the dog park and I cant do it anymore. I dont trust him to behave and play with the other dogs.

Last edited:
S

Squishy22

Pit bulls AND australian cattle dogs are notorious for being dog aggressive. You should have been aware before you brought his breed into your home.

You need to see a trainer. It sounds to me like he is being territorial. If he shows ANY signs of being aggressive towards humans, then you need to jump on that immediately and get help. Something needs to be done here. He is already pushing his boundaries as it is.

lizzybeth727

It's very possible he's being territorial. The easiest thing to do until you get a trainer is to just keep the other dog out of your bedroom. Make sure that you supervise all interractions between dogs, and as much as possible keep it only in neutral places - drive the dogs out to an empty parking lot, or a big field where they can meet positively.

You probably have time, if you start NOW, to get a handle on this situation before your girlfriend's son gets the seizure alert dog, the waiting list for those is usually very long. Google "Certified Animal Behaviorist" for a website with a trainer search.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
The thing is, Marco isnt that big of a dog. He's about the size of an Austrailian Cattle dog. I think he's only a quarter Pitt, but his behavior over trying to dominate other dogs is something I cant have.

My girlfriend's 6 year old son is autistic and epileptic. She wants to get him a seizure alert dog. If Marco doesnt stop his aggressive behavior, I will have no other choice but to give him up. I will do that for her son if i have no other choice.
Uh, I have a son with Autism AND I have a pit bull that is VERY dog aggressive. She's dog aggressive to a point where she can be around NO other dogs, except for one. And it's not just snarkiness. It's "I want to attack you from the get-go" dog aggression.

Anyway, my dog aggressive pit bull wouldn't DREAM of harming my son with Autism. My dog doesn't harm humans, and the day she does, is the day I will no longer have her.

Yes, I agree that you need to get a behaviorist who is, not only schooled in dog aggression, but specifically in bully breeds with dog aggression.

Pit bulls (and of course, pit bull mixes) are pre-disposed to dog aggression. Some may NEVER grow up and become dog aggressive. But, most pit bulls grow up to, at the very least, become somewhat less interested in dogs. Meaning, they don't SEEK OUT other dogs to play with and socialize with.

Now, pit bulls are also notoriously known for their genetic tendencies for dog aggression not to show until they have matured, which usually can occur between ages 2-5 years. So...being that your dog is now 2, it stands to reason why he may be becoming less tolerant with other dogs.

Trust me, it's not the end of the world, but your best bet is going to be to keep him separated from all other dogs, until you find someone who can help you learn to manage him with his dog aggression.
Please do NOT set your dog up for failure by being fooled into thinking, "Oh...he seems calm, I'll let him around this dog now" because chances are, he could do some damage to another dog and it can happen fast (as it can when ANY dog decides it doesn't like another dog) and, so, to keep other dogs safe, AND to keep HIM safe, do not allow him around other dogs.

I look at it this way: Just as my son cannot help having Autism, my dog cannot help being dog aggressive. It's genetic, most likely. At the very least, it's genetic with environmental triggers.

You cannot train dog aggression OUT of a dog, but you can manage it and work with the dog and, just maybe, one day your dog may be able to be around other dogs.
I'd link you to badrap's list of dog tolerance levels, so that you can read up on it, but their site seems to be down at the moment, or something.

BELIEVE ME, dog aggression does NOT equal human aggression
Like I said, my dog is very dog aggressive, but wouldn't EVER touch a hair on my children's heads.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
I have Pittbull/Australian Cattle Dog Mix and hes gonna be 3 on January 22nd. My brother recently got a Pittbull pup and my dog wont have anything to do with her. Whether it be in the house or out in the yard. His hair goes up and he attacks her. What do I do about it? I dont want to get rid of him. I mean what if the aggression is only starting with the other dogs, and next moves to people. I dont want to have to worry about my girlfriends special needs kids because hes getting itchy and aggressive.

lizzybeth, what I have bolded is what I was referring to.

Maxy24

I think that's a good idea. I'm sure he will be happier as an only dog and if your girlfriend's child needs a service dog then it needs to be done. I'm glad you are trying to find him a home yourself an are not abandoning him, make sure the owners are aware that he should not play with other dogs, in fact tell the new owners about this place so we can help them out. A home with children would be great, I'm sure he'd love that :)

Phoenixangelwyngs

Zookeeper Extraordinaire!
I agree with everyone else. It seems to be a territorial thing. First you bring this youngster into HIS house and then you let her into HIS bedroom. He probably feels threatened and sees the puppy as a threat to his status and space. I'd be upset if someone brought some new person over to my house and then let them go into my bedroom too.

MoonStr80

Obessed with Dogs
Well said! I also have a younger sister whom has Autism not only has Autism but she has Down Syndrome & has seizures. When we had Lacey who was a Australian Shepherd she was exactly like what Chewbecca explain her dog. Lacey was classified as a "Dog Aggression" Australian Shepherd are known to be VERY territory of their people and everything around them

not only she had DA.. She'd NEVER harm my sister EVER.

Uh, I have a son with Autism AND I have a pit bull that is VERY dog aggressive. She's dog aggressive to a point where she can be around NO other dogs, except for one. And it's not just snarkiness. It's "I want to attack you from the get-go" dog aggression.

Anyway, my dog aggressive pit bull wouldn't DREAM of harming my son with Autism. My dog doesn't harm humans, and the day she does, is the day I will no longer have her.

Yes, I agree that you need to get a behaviorist who is, not only schooled in dog aggression, but specifically in bully breeds with dog aggression.

Pit bulls (and of course, pit bull mixes) are pre-disposed to dog aggression. Some may NEVER grow up and become dog aggressive. But, most pit bulls grow up to, at the very least, become somewhat less interested in dogs. Meaning, they don't SEEK OUT other dogs to play with and socialize with.

Now, pit bulls are also notoriously known for their genetic tendencies for dog aggression not to show until they have matured, which usually can occur between ages 2-5 years. So...being that your dog is now 2, it stands to reason why he may be becoming less tolerant with other dogs.

Trust me, it's not the end of the world, but your best bet is going to be to keep him separated from all other dogs, until you find someone who can help you learn to manage him with his dog aggression.
Please do NOT set your dog up for failure by being fooled into thinking, "Oh...he seems calm, I'll let him around this dog now" because chances are, he could do some damage to another dog and it can happen fast (as it can when ANY dog decides it doesn't like another dog) and, so, to keep other dogs safe, AND to keep HIM safe, do not allow him around other dogs.

I look at it this way: Just as my son cannot help having Autism, my dog cannot help being dog aggressive. It's genetic, most likely. At the very least, it's genetic with environmental triggers.

You cannot train dog aggression OUT of a dog, but you can manage it and work with the dog and, just maybe, one day your dog may be able to be around other dogs.
I'd link you to badrap's list of dog tolerance levels, so that you can read up on it, but their site seems to be down at the moment, or something.

BELIEVE ME, dog aggression does NOT equal human aggression
Like I said, my dog is very dog aggressive, but wouldn't EVER touch a hair on my children's heads.

I see that you've decided to give the dog away, so this advice probably comes a bit late...

But...

If this dog doesn't like to go outside, what kind of exercise is he getting? Both breeds that make up your dog are HIGH ENERGY dogs. Dogs that do not get proper exercise and mental stimulation can and will develop "frustration" related behavior, including aggression.

I have a very high energy dog. If it rains for two days and we cannot exercise him, you can see him starting to unravel. He gets crabby, destructive, and hard to be around.

Just my thoughts.

Members online