Big Sore

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
Beulah has been chewing on her tail (the part where her tail meets her back), and now it has a big sore on it. I don't know why she is doing this, she doesn't have any fleas or anything. She will just sit there and chew on it. It looks really bad and painful. Everytime I see her chewing on it, I make her stop. Can the vet do anything for that? Give some ointment or something to put on it. I mean, it can't be good right?

That sounds more like a stress behaviour than anything else.

The skin is irritated now, though, and is probably kind of itchy. Clean it well with a mild antibacterial cleanser (PhisoDerm is good) and make sure it's well rinsed. Try keeping some vitamin E oil mixed with a little Tea Tree Oil on it and when you've got her quiet for a nap or some petting, have a cup of chamomile tea - and lay the used, cooled tea bag on the area she's been chewing on. The chamomile will help soothe the area and quiet those irritated nerve endings.

I'm betting she's picked up on your distress over Dixie and it will probably pass. In the meantime, lots of reassurance and distractions when she's anxious.

Members online

No members online now.