Landlord's annoying dog

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Ugh. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame the dog but holy moly my landlord's 2 yr old lab is obnoxious. He isn't really trained at all, doesn't get to socialize much if ever and they let him just run loose on the property whenever they let him out.
He harrassed the neighbors (one of which is afraid of dogs) because he went to their house and wouldn't let them get out of their car to go inside because he was barking at them excitedly wanting to play. He is a HUGE lab and he doesn't understand personal space and will clobber you because he is in constant play mode. They started tying him up on a long leash when he went outside after that incident, but that lasted all of maybe two or three weeks because I guess they didn't care enough to keep up with it. I've almost hit him with my car too because he runs out in front of it sometimes at night when I come home and won't get out from in front of my car so I have to stop and wait for him to move so I can even pull into the driveway. Their last dog was hit by a car for doing the same thing.

The part that really really frustrates me is that whenever I take my dogs out I have to try to plan it for when he is inside. My dogs get along with him though Bamm tends to get irritated with him sometimes because he is NOT a fan of obnoxious dogs rushing up on him. I've been taking my dogs out one at a time lately because they always tend to let him out as soon as I leash my dogs and go outside. He used to rush up into my whole group when I walked all three and made it hard for me to control my own dogs enough to keep moving since I'm out there walking them and not a big fan of my dogs playing with other dogs when they are on leash and it's "potty time". He also does this when I'm trying to load my dogs into the car.

I've started taking my dogs one at a time for walks. In the morning we have to do short walks so they can do their business and so I can get back inside to get ready for work in time. I swear every day when I take one of the dogs out they will let him out and he comes rushing up and pouncing ALL over my dogs when they are trying to go potty. It pisses me off because no matter how many times I try to yell at him to stop or grab his collar to get him off my dogs he just doesn't get it and won't stop. He just wants to play, but it really irritates me and makes me dread walking my own dogs.

I could talk to the landlord about it since it is irritating, but on the other hand it's their property if they want to let him run offleash (not a typical neighborhood where all the neighbors are close by). Also, they last minute let us move in when our other place fell through since the lady went crazy on Josh. You guys may remember that situation. So, they are doing us a favor by letting us stay here until we find a place to rent so while I know I need to bring it up to them, I'm not sure the best way to approach it with them. Bamm and Cricket are already starting to get irritated with it now especially when they are trying to go potty and he rushes up full speed and pounces onto them. Joey doesn't care because he would be just as obnoxious if I let him, but I don't.

I do not want to burn bridges with these people and honestly they are really nice people despite the fact that I am not a fan of how they are with their animals. But... This is getting real old.

Taqroy

Can you just ask if they mind if YOU leash him up (on the long line or whatever) when you're walking your dogs? Then it's not an "inconvenience" to them and you can still walk your dogs in peace.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Can you just ask if they mind if YOU leash him up (on the long line or whatever) when you're walking your dogs? Then it's not an "inconvenience" to them and you can still walk your dogs in peace.
This.
Claim one of yours is sick or something if anything if they seem offended.. kennel cough. or that one of them just had surgery and can't be playing roughly with other dogs.

At this point.. I would tread VERY lightly. As you said, they are doing you a huge favor

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I think tying him up yourself is the best option.

You can also approach it with your landlord by saying one of your dogs is scared of their dog. People tend to be sympathetic to scared dogs (as opposed to a dog who wants to eat their dog's face).

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I wonder if I mention that one of the dogs has a mild cough and while I don't know that it is kennel cough it might be best to take precautions instead of saying my dogs are actually sick. Then I can offer to tie him up if I'm going to be out with my dogs as suggested.

I think I would not mention sick or cough....that makes *your* dogs a threat to theirs in a sense. If somehow he did get sick, it would be your fault in their eyes.

I would go with scared or injury

milos_mommy

Yeah don't say it's sick, for sure. Scared or an injury is a good bet. Otherwise, citronella spray when he rushes you

joce

If you want to say there I am not sure I would even bring it up. We live in the middle of nowhere so our dogs can run loose(not jump on anyone lol) but if I let someone move in last minute to not be homeless I would be quit offended if they asked me to tie up my dog that I moved to the country so he could run loose. Period. Its hard to find a place to take pets so don't push it.

Now if you know the person well and just put it as "my dog has issues with other dogs and when I walk him twice a day can I do it without your dog out" maybe, but still to me thats pushing it. Don't say a thing about your dog being ill or a cough. He might want to get his dog checked out and a vet check from yours. And a cough can't go on forever.

Maybe ask if you can give his dog a chew while you walk your dogs to so he is doing something else.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
What about teaching the dog to stay away yourself? Before he gets to you, chuck a biscuit his way, keep moving and only throw a biscuit to him when he's __ feet away?

Plus, the sick thing isn't going to last forever. I would just ask if they mind if you tie him up while you have your dogs out because it's easier for you, and just leave it at that.

Taqroy

If you want to say there I am not sure I would even bring it up. We live in the middle of nowhere so our dogs can run loose(not jump on anyone lol) but if I let someone move in last minute to not be homeless I would be quit offended if they asked me to tie up my dog that I moved to the country so he could run loose. Period. Its hard to find a place to take pets so don't push it.
You would really be offended if someone asked if they could tie up your (rude) dog while they walk theirs? I'm assuming that skittle would untie the dog after she walked hers so really it's like a ten minute tie down which doesn't inconvenience the owner in any way.

ETA: I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm just...baffled I guess. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Is there space for one of those small chain link kennel things? Maybe you could ask if it's okay to put one up as a little bathroom area for your dogs. That way they could be turned loose inside to at least get the potty stuff done undisturbed.

SaraB

I would just say it's easier as well. Offering to tie the dog up yourself is a good option as long as you untie him afterwards!

xpaeanx

Asking if you can tie up/ untie the dog only while you are walking yours is the best option in my opinion.

However, I would not use sick or injured. 1st, lying to people is never a good idea, especially when they are in your life. When your dog doesn't "recover," they will figure out your lie and imagine how offended they will be then?

I think you should approach from the Bam gets a little scared and it makes it too difficult to walk the dogs. This is when you ask them what they're usual schedule is for letting their dog out so that you can work around it or if you would be allowed to tie/untie him while you have your dog out.

This will work better for you bc they probably see you taking your dogs out and then let their dog out so they can "play." Once they are made aware the effect is very much the opposite and that you are offering to take up the extra responsibility and not inconvience them, I'm sure they will easily work with you.

I don't think they would get offended. I'm baffled why they would be offended by that as well. I find that as long as you are not making extra work for people, they will be ok with pretty much anything you need to help make life run smoother.

joce

You would really be offended if someone asked if they could tie up your (rude) dog while they walk theirs? I'm assuming that skittle would untie the dog after she walked hers so really it's like a ten minute tie down which doesn't inconvenience the owner in any way.

ETA: I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm just...baffled I guess. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.
Sounds like they took them in as a kindness so they should not push it. She may not know how they are going to respond.

We have been looking at places with apartments and this is exactly why it is my mom that is going to rent it only! I'll give it that my dogs don't jump and I don't consider them annoying but am sure others do. But its their choice to not be at my home. Which I would be afraid he may tell her-its touchy ground when you have nowhere else to go. Does she have a lease? I thought this was a quick come stay here thing. She needs to be careful is all. Like I said no sick dog and be truthful, dog is not good with him. Don;t lie and say the dog is ill. I'd just be upset if I had to not turn my dog out all the time over a renters dog.

Members online

No members online now.