Trick of the Week: Spin!

Well I took your guys' suggestions and I'm adding duration to Crystal's spin/get your tail. I tried to add music and mute out my voice, because I sound like a dying person with my sore throat, but I have no idea if it worked...

Usually, she'll only do it once, so I'm rewarding her when she does it more than once. She gets a treat after the end of the video. Oh and yes I realized she came dangerously close to the edge of the glass table after I shot the video. :s oops.

SO anyways, day 2 of adding duration.

So, here is a cruddy cell phone video for you all (if I even embed this correctly xD)
[Oh and yes, I did add a beg and a dance at the beginning, ahah]

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s3YIzOAg5SM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Sadly haven't the chance to watch all the videos yet, but has everyone mostly done shaping and/or luring? I wondered if anyone used a prop to help with this. If I remember correctly that's what I did with Kiba, but it's been so long I can't remember lol.
Auggie's was lured. Payton is doing his pivot that he learned on a bowl turned upside down (this is how I taught him to heel, Trkman style.) Pepper I was trying to shape from a head turn. So I guess I've done all three LOL.
Honestly I think it kind of depends on the dog. People all have different learning styles and I think dogs do too. I think all dogs CAN learn each way but some do better/faster at certain things. Some of it I think also has to do with how they have learned so far in their life. Like Auggie can learn with the clicker, I've taught several things with it, but because he was lured as a puppy, he seems to "get" that better. With the clicker he can get stuck sometimes - he just offers the same stuff he already knows over and over, and gets frustrated and just stands there barking at me. It's hard to get him to offer something different. Payton, OTOH, was clicker trained almost right away, and he's much better at offering behaviours. I tried luring the sit pretty with him and I don't think he was getting it, but once I switched to shaping it he was like "OH I see we're doing a trick. I gets it!" I've tried luring other things with him before and he's like "I don't know why you're flailing that treat around you big weirdo." He doesn't understand a lure LOL.

Beanie - was that Payton throwing the toy? Lol, so funny! Whoever was featured at 2.42 is looking wonderful (I'm so sorry I can't tell your dogs apart yet :() That's Miss Pepper at the end - looking gorgeous! And love the next video as well - really good progress!
No that was Auggie throwing the toy at me, LOL. Nobody believes me when I say Auggie is a jerk... he really is. This is the same dog who will kick me in the face in the middle of the night if I'm sleeping too close. Jerk.
P is the one at 2:42! He is a pretty good boy sometimes.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Probably the last one of the boys what with the holiday:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-UgIqhYL-to" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I still need a word for Payton's left spin. I tried to name them ages ago when he was still on the pivot and just ended up not finding it important to have them named... now I wish I had, haha.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I've been working on this with Cricket and Joey but my video recorder wont freaking charge for some reason so I haven't had a chance to video the progress.

With Cricket I'm shaping it... it's really frustrating me to not lure it though for some reason. She is catching on though. I did teach her spin when she was really little, but we haven't done it in SOOOOOOO long that she seemed to have forgotten the cue for it. Once she realized what I was trying to shape her to do she was like, "oh YA I remember this!!!"

Now Joey... omg I can't shape him into it at all. He has absolutely NO patience for shaping... even when I upped the reward to beef liver. All he wanted to do was just sit and stare at me. I gave up on trying to shape it and decided to try luring him and that worked. He does spin when I say spin now, but he is so slow. I'm going to try to build him up to spinning a little faster and doing more spins for rewards.

I'll try to get video as soon as I can.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Today was Day 1 for us. Kiba already knows this so decided to do Stryder and the poodles since Charlie doesn't need Spin added to her repertoire quite yet.

Stryder, omg took to it awesomely. We've really been meshing well recently. Often when we try anything I just want to meet his face in while he roo roos at me lol. Day 1 went good, next session I want to work with him keeping his feet on the ground.

Tsuki, my new shining star. Getting it perfect. When I started she started offering the "beg" position, and then tried standing up and spinning/dancing when I tried to have her spin with me standing up. So we'll work on that next as well.

Lincoln, not so sure we'll do this one with him. I tried luring.. but he doesn't like his head being touched and I think he is being hand shy and backing away. I'll try again with him next time with more nummy stuff to lure, or just, do something different.

Everyone is looking really good!

(I can't freaking figure out how to embed and I know it's some step I have to do because I've seen it suggested to other members but I'm too lazy to look.
When you click the link and go to the video, look right under the video. Click Share. Then click Embed. Then copy and paste the code that comes up.

Brattina88

Here are my cell phone videos... I apologize for the quality, I am hoping to have the good camera videos up and running soon :eek: The lighting was bad, and I couldn't juggle the phone and the clicker and the treats at the same time haha

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Spin use to be Victor's most favorite trick of all. He could do it over and over the whole length of the hallway at the guild (which was the length of the building) and come right back from the opposite direction. After he broke his back toe climbing a tree, he could still spin, but occasionally he would let out a yelp so we let it go. He was down right a tornado and it's a blasted shame. I never should have let him climb trees, if I could go back and undo it I would. The vet said he was a young dog and they heal right up and not to worry about it, but it didn't. IT is only during a tight turn, either running and cutting fast, or this trick but when it does happen, it seems to hurt him a great deal. I wish you could have seen him tho, he was awesome.It's a really fun trick to learn, everyone here that has posted a video looks great.

Catsi

This is my last video for this trick until update time!

I am so pleased with Miss Ab! We have had a breakthrough. :D This has given me the confidence to shape without objects. Sure, it took a while to get to here (this is fresh from this evening) but it was amazing to watch her think it through and have light bulb moments.
The videoing has definitely helped me with mechanics lol. I struggle a bit in that area.

You will notice that I change my position in the video slightly. This is deliberate - I always start shaping/training on the ground with Abby so I'm at her level and I forget to change up my position early in the process. Before you know it, I have a behaviour that is reliant on my body position because I fail to mix things up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ieoF6I4M-hs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Catsi

No that was Auggie throwing the toy at me, LOL. Nobody believes me when I say Auggie is a jerk... he really is. This is the same dog who will kick me in the face in the middle of the night if I'm sleeping too close. Jerk.
P is the one at 2:42! He is a pretty good boy sometimes.
Lol - It is hard to believe! They are looking lovely in your last vid. They almost float - they move beautifully!

Frodo is so handsome! He is doing a similar thing to Abby - she'd head turn slightly, but then look straight back at me seeing my reaction I guess. Sometimes she'd go back and forth between nearly doing a head turn and looking back at me lol. He really is getting it.

Sounds like your crew are doing really well! Can't wait to see Tsuki's 'beg'!

That's a shame about Victor, Smkie. Sounds like he really love it.

Members online

No members online now.