Moral dilemma: Bordatella vaccine

JacksonsMom

So, I'm pretty much against the bordatella vaccine. My dog doesn't go to a public groomer, daycare, boarding, etc. He's had two bordatella vaccines in the past, and once he still got kennel cough even after getting the vaccine.

I'm extremely minimal vaccines, and just don't see the need, and didn't plan on getting him anymore except for rabies, and maybe distemper in another 2 years (that would be 5 years since getting it last). But very very minimal.

There's a canine fitness center near me where dogs can go swimming, etc. I wanted to take Jackson there and scheduled him for Wednesday but he has to be UTD on bordatella (and rabies every 3yrs, and distemper every 5yrs). The bordatella vaccine was last given on Nov. 3, 2011, so it's "late" according to them ...

So, do I go against what I essentially 'believe' so he can go swimming maybe 3x this winter for some exercise ($32 for 30 mins, or $24 for 15 mins), or just skip it ... it's not like he doesn't swim all summer long in my dads pool, but I just thought it'd be different for him to do and get him extra tired out. Or is bordatella just not that big of a deal? Ugh, I just think it's so unnecessary.

Thoughts?

Saeleofu

I wouldn't vaccinate, and I'd skip the swimming. But swimming isn't a big deal for my dogs, they generally don't want anything to do with it.

I do the same thing vaccine-wise. Rabies every 3 years by law, distemper every 5+ years (I'm at year 3 now, so by the time year 5 rolls around I will probably have changed my mind), and no bordatella, lyme, lepto, flu, etc

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I think that's a pretty personal decision. I personally would not give my dogs bordatella vaccines for that since from what I've seen they don't do much good and my dogs are low-risk anyway.

But that's just me.

Lyzelle

I wouldn't vaccinate, and I'd skip the swimming. But swimming isn't a big deal for my dogs, they generally don't want anything to do with it.

I do the same thing vaccine-wise. Rabies every 3 years by law, distemper every 5+ years (I'm at year 3 now, so by the time year 5 rolls around I will probably have changed my mind), and no bordatella, lyme, lepto, flu, etc
Ditto.

I'll have this dilemma when we ship Zander. I don't want to give all that crap to him, but it's going to be required. I'll fight it as much as I can because he is NOT required to have anything except rabies, but USAF says differently.

And ditto with ME, too. I'm being pressured to get the flu shot because I "need" it, but I don't want it. It doesn't cover all flu viruses, it's going to set off my Crohn's, just no.

Another minimalist here.

JacksonsMom

Argh, you guys all have the same thoughts as me! LOL ... Jackson loooovesss to swim, so I know he'd love it, and I just know he'd get really tired out (which is hard, he seems to have a ton of energy in the winter/fall). But I can't really afford it on a weekly basis anyway, so I guess just one or two times might not be worth it.

I have his vet appt. scheduled for tomorrow at 2:30, for his yearly and I told them on the phone he needed bordatella updated too, so does that matter? When I get there should I just say, I changed my mind? lol ... my vet isn't pushy, but I still always feel like awkward, like if she comes in with the shot (nasal stuff), I'll feel like an idiot being like "No, nevermind". I'm weird and un-confrontational with professionals.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Argh, you guys all have the same thoughts as me! LOL ... Jackson loooovesss to swim, so I know he'd love it, and I just know he'd get really tired out (which is hard, he seems to have a ton of energy in the winter/fall). But I can't really afford it on a weekly basis anyway, so I guess just one or two times might not be worth it.

I have his vet appt. scheduled for tomorrow at 2:30, for his yearly and I told them on the phone he needed bordatella updated too, so does that matter? When I get there should I just say, I changed my mind? lol ... my vet isn't pushy, but I still always feel like awkward, like if she comes in with the shot (nasal stuff), I'll feel like an idiot being like "No, nevermind". I'm weird.
If you seem firm and confident..usually vets will leave you be.
Walk in and tell the tech or vet "Oh and I changed my mind, he won't be getting the bordatella vaccine."

and that's that.
I don't have patience for pushy vets. I'm paying you bucko.. last time I checked it's still my dog.

Lyzelle

I have his vet appt. scheduled for tomorrow at 2:30, for his yearly and I told them on the phone he needed bordatella updated too, so does that matter? When I get there should I just say, I changed my mind? lol ... my vet isn't pushy, but I still always feel like awkward, like if she comes in with the shot (nasal stuff), I'll feel like an idiot being like "No, nevermind". I'm weird and un-confrontational with professionals.
As long as you mention it before the tech or vet pulls it...like at the counter or whatever, it should be fine.

They get a little bitchy sometimes if you say it after they pull it, though, because they have to throw it away. Waste of a shot.

JacksonsMom

Will they allow you to sign a waiver saying you accept the risks?
Probably not, they seem fairly strict, and it was the first thing they asked on the phone after my name. Funny thing is, most places don't even ask me to be honest ... lol. His mobile groomer has never asked for his shot records, even rabies, nor did our agility class, or anywhere else I bring him.

Their rules on their site state:

What are your shot requirements?
- Rabies every three years, Distemper every five years and Bordatella annually.

Is titer testing acceptable in lieu of shots?
- "No, we follow the guidelines of the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA). They do not recognize titer testing as a substitution for vaccination."

We will accept titer test results for Distemper with the following parameters:

Proof the attending vet will not give the dog a Distemper vaccination.
Proof the dog had the puppy Distemper series and consistent Distemper boosters until the age of 7
Annual titer testing with a 1.5 or higher

JacksonsMom

If you seem firm and confident..usually vets will leave you be.
Walk in and tell the tech or vet "Oh and I changed my mind, he won't be getting the bordatella vaccine."

and that's that.
I don't have patience for pushy vets. I'm paying you bucko.. last time I checked it's still my dog.
Thanks! I was proud of myself last time we were at the vet, it was a different one than our normal vet and she was like ' I really really recommend the lymes vaccine' and I said 'oh no, not today' and that was that! I used to just cave and be like 'oohh okay, whatever you say ... ' LOL.

I'll just say something right when I walk in then to avoid the issue.

JacksonsMom

Not to mention, I'mpretty sure my vet charges like $30 for a bordatella vaccine. I could get it for around $8 at the clinic near us (where I do his rabies shots).

When I fostered shelter dogs more, then I kept my dogs more UTD on Bordetella and when/if I need to board them then they get updated but other than that? Minimal vaccinations but my dogs rarely socialize with other dogs.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
ONe of the reasons Victor is not doing therapy work now is because the org he was with insisted on it. I will not do this to my dog again. IT makes him sick, he goes around like he has a migraine for a couple days afterward. He has never had kennel cough, never had it since he hasnt' had the vaccine either, and I am afraid that each time he was subjected to it, he was so off, so out of it and so miserable I didnt' know what it was doing to him. I would rather face the cough it self, tho I have been through that with another dog and know how unpleasant it is.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I personally think bordatella is pointless and really don't want to give it to my dogs. I have to bring my dogs to work though at the dog daycare because my work is kind of far from home. My work (like most dog daycares) requires bordatella every 6 months. I push it a bit though and don't give it unless my manager checks my dog's records and sees that its been past 6 months.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I wouldn't do it in that circumstance.

just let the receptionist know when you get there that you decided you don't want the bordetella done. If they are smart, they won't have it drawn up already! (And even if they do, they can just keep it in the fridge for the next dog that needs it). They might ask you again in the room about it, but that's mostly just for clarity, so don't feel like they are pushing you or anything :)

crazedACD

I've been seeing a shift in what a lot of dog places require...more and more are allowing you the choice to give bordatella.

Personally I wouldn't give it. Tell them he is allergic to it.

monkeys23

I wouldn't do it either.

And omg on the flu shot thing... I get horribly sick every time I've ever had one (which has only been like thrice in my life) and of course when I say that they oh it doesn't cover every strain, but you should still get it! Oh really? Well then why do I NEVER get sick if I abstain from the frickin' flu shot? Riddle me that! :rolleyes:

crazedACD

I wouldn't do it either.

And omg on the flu shot thing... I get horribly sick every time I've ever had one (which has only been like thrice in my life) and of course when I say that they oh it doesn't cover every strain, but you should still get it! Oh really? Well then why do I NEVER get sick if I abstain from the frickin' flu shot? Riddle me that! :rolleyes:
I have never had the flu shot and haven't had the flu since I was a kid. I get colds of course but I haven't had anything I thought was the flu. I can't remember a time where I got so sick I was vomiting, etc.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
It is a pointless vaccine IME but if the facility requires it then it's your choice. I do not know of very many dogs having adverse reactions, FWIW. Keeva had it once and never again. When she was vaccinated, she DID contract kennel cough from work. This season, unvaccinated, she was directly exposed to a dog we later found out was contagious, and never got sick. *shrug* lol

It's our policy for work but I'm the one who does the checking, LOL. My dog only had Rabies and DHPP, doesn't get spot-on unless very necessary, and isn't spayed. *whistles and looks around* LOL

That said, it's our policy and I enforce it, because that's my job. If you called me and didn't want to give Bordatella but wanted to bring your dog, I'd sympathize but tell you that was our firm policy. So my point is that you probably expect this place to treat you the same.

I don't know, I don't consider Bordatella a particularly "risky" vaccine for a healthy dog, just kind of a dumb one. So how strongly to do you feel about the vaccine, and how strongly do you feel about swimming? It's up to you.

SpringerLover

Honestly, I consider it one of the "safer" vaccines, imo, and I give it to let Bailey go to daycare. She's a healthy animal, I'm far less concerned about the intranasal bordetella vaccine than I am about a lepto vaccine.

So, if it were me, I'd give it so I could take my dogs swimming.

Members online

No members online now.