How would you handle this situation?

oriondw

user not active
I have relatives flying over here for holidays, and my dog has never seen them before.

Well they are afraid of him. Also, they are arriving at 2am at night! :eek:

Which means my dog will be on his sentry duty by the window.

Now I only have 1 set of hands...

The key here is to get them inside the house together, then no problems. But thats the problem.

My dog knows that no normal person walks at 2 am at night, and if we randomly greet them off- property he will still be very very uneasy and will probably bark at them.

Any ideas how to handle this?

p.s.

He WILL bark and growl, etc if they just come to the house. They need to walk in WITH him, otherwise he'll think they are breaking in...

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Maybe if he sees you outside being friendly with them first and then introduce him it might go a little smoother. Our old pit mix Mack was similar because he would not let people in the house, besides us, and even when they came in he was still unfriendly to them. I would let him either go outside with you or stay inside for a minute and watch you greet your guests before bringing him out. I'm not sure how to handle that situation because e could never control how Mack greeted guests but that is how we were told to do it.

T

tessa_s212

Are they driving? Or are you picking them up?

If you are picking them up and then driving home, I would ask them to stay outside. LEash him up, and let him greet them outside. THEN bring them into the house.

If you are not going to be picking them up, I would do the same. Just take him outside to greet them first.

Members online

No members online now.