"Want to Adopt? Prepare for an Inquisition."

It really is a tough situation.

We were denied a cat once because we had an intact dog. I guess they didn't want to see babies :)

But there are lots of really good owners and lots of really bad ones. It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation overall.

I do think some of the requirements that some places hold are a bit ridiculous and turn away good homes, but i can understand some of the requirements which i'm sure most can. But there is no doubt that some go way too far. at least in a lot of people's opinions.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I agree. I've fostered quite a few various animals independently...and while there are some things I really look out for (and you can typically tell when even email-conversing with a person whether or not they truly have the pet's best interest at heart), I've come to the conclusion that a good home - not a perfect home, a good home - is better than none at all. I think the biggest thing is to compromise.

When I adopted out my Guinea Pigs, I didn't want to them go to a home where they would be a "child's pet". I didn't want some parent to purchase them for the kid, expect the kid to have the entire responsibility of caring for them, and then get upset and either a.) get rid of them or b.) let them waste away in their own feces because the kid isn't keep the cage cleaned. I rescued Lucy from a situation like that, I didn't want my piggers to end up in the same mess. But, they did go to a home where they were children's pets. Two darling little girls wanted a pet of their own, and the mom LOVED Guinea pigs, so she wanted to adopt two of them for her girls. I have no doubt in my mind that those piggies went to the best home possible.

Just like I wouldn't not adopt a dog to someone because they don't have a fenced in yard. Heck, I don't have a fenced in yard and we've had dogs for the past 15 years. What's more important is how the potential adopter plans on exercising his dog.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
My parents adopted a toy poodle from a breed specific rescue with tough adoption requirements. They didn't have any issues since my dad is retired and home all week, they have a fenced in yard, no other pets, the same vet for 10 years as a reference, etc, etc.

Rescues are great IF you fit all of their guidelines. Having 5 dogs (and one intact!), I'd be turned down from most of them.

In some ways, I can definitely understand the strict requirements- they want to make sure that the pets they adopt out are in their forever homes and not returned to the system.

I was browsing on Craigslist yesterday, and there was someone rehoming a dachshund mix because he liked to run and they didn't have a fenced in yard :rolleyes: So I can definitely understand a rescue wanting to make sure that the pet never has that happen to them.

Some rules are just insane, though. I think they should check out homes on a case by case basis rather than turning people away based on a blanket set of rules.

cliffdog

I've faced the brunt of adoption standards being too high. We were denied a dog not long ago because we had "outdoor cats" - IE, there are stray cats around our house that we TNR'd so that means they belong to us...

But on the other hand I can understand where they are coming from. If you've ever fostered a dog you can understand being paranoid about making sure they go to a good home and being positive that the owners are really as good as they say. It's a hard line of work.

katielou

Slave to the Aussie
I've adopted a lot of dogs and never once gone through any kind of tough adoption process.

I think its the same as breeders (who i have gone through a hell of a purchase process with) there are some that are great and some that are not.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I was actually planning on writing about this article on my blog. I think if most people saw the scary, scary applications that come in every day... there would be less people up in arms about how picky rescues can be.

And remember, many rescues will make exceptions... but not if you're a jackarse about it.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I was actually planning on writing about this article on my blog. I think if most people saw the scary, scary applications that come in every day... there would be less people up in arms about how picky rescues can be.

And remember, many rescues will make exceptions... but not if you're a jackarse about it.
This, and I have some of the strangest clients with rescue dogs, somehow they're getting through the system so it can't be that hard across the board.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I hate the "cookie cutter perfect owner" places who don't make exceptions and prefer to deny/shame instead of talk to people.

If you are adopting out an elderly maltese, they don't need an 8 foot fence!!

but I certainly see where the paranoia comes from and where the kind of "people are EVIL ANIMAL ABUSERS until proven good owners" idea stems.

I just don't agree with it.

I feel like if you are going to spend all this time preaching "DONT BUY WHEN SHELTER DOGS DIE!" and "ADOPT! ADOPT! ADOPT! RESCUE A DOG!" then you should at least be willing to be open minded and adopt out to average joe who would be a GOOD home even though he has a short fence, or has kids, or lives in an apartment..

not just the perfect stay at home older than 25 perfect house perfect fence 1000 references dog enthusiast owner

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Eh, perfectly good homes regularly return and dump dogs, hence the paranoia.
I just think that it should be about a persons character. I am not saying we should go back to the days of blindly adopting dogs out to ANYONE

I am just saying that interrogation and blanket rules don't do anybody any good.

Saying that ALL people with kids, or ALL people who live in apartments, or ALL people who don't have a fence aren't good enough homes I think is just a **** shame because there are plenty of exceptions if you are just willing to give them a chance.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
My dad was once denied a lab from a shelter because he *might* go hunting with it. I have known other shelters who deny for having kids under 18, have no backyard, have a full time job, or the dog would be left alone for 4 hrs at a time. The horror...

Anyway, shelters can do what they want and people will speak with their pocket book and donations.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I've been on both ends. I was denied a rescue dog because I lived in an apartment. No questions on experience training or how much time I was home or references or what sort of activities I'm involved in...just was told that the dog is high energy and absolutely must have a fenced yard. And this was not an isolated incident...attempted to adopt 3 different dogs and was told the same thing. But ended up with Webby so I guess it works out ;)

On the other hand when we adopted Brie it was very straightforward. I went in and met her and said I wanted to adopt her. They asked about other pets...I said I had three dogs. They asked pertinent questions about how I was going to keep a cat safe in a house with three dogs and for a vet reference, then said if my spouse came in and signed for them that he agreed we were good to go...he's actually the one that wanted a cat so that was no problem and he brought her home with him two days later. Done!

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I dunno, I see people saying "it's just what they have to do, it kind of makes sense" and I just don't agree.

How is it logical to deny a home that is a good fit, just because a different species housed in or near that home is not altered? That makes no sense. It is insulting to the person and very defeating for both parties.
My boyfriend and I are mentally preparing ourselves to adopt if we end up choosing a rescue over a shelter, because of various things that, really, have no impact on the life of a dog on our care, and some that are just a minor inconvenience that I am more than happy to work with (like the fact that we live in an apartment, albeit a large one with plenty of land access). I've never personally had to go through this process, most of my dogs have been rescues that my family has taken in themselves, not through another organization or person. We always took in strays and ferals, both dogs and cats, and some exotics. I know these places don't know that, but even still, if I were told I wasn't a good fit because of some asinine reasoning like having an intact whatever different species, it would truly be a bit of a blow to my pride I have in myself regarding animals.

I'm sorry, I just highly disagree that this is 'the way it has to be'. Some of the stories I've read, and am reading here, are just ridiculous.

cloudcandy

Cloudcandy
This was the reason I was put off applying to adopt.Everywhere I look clearly stated,NO full time job's,NO flat's etc.I just didn't want to have to go through a process where I was going to feel "stupid" for even considering a dog whilst living in a flat.When I went to the breeder(although she was BYB) she asked me alot of question's that I felt were more relevant for example:"How much time do you have to raise pup?How often do you go away/would you change your holiday plans for pup?How many dog's have you previously lived with/been responsible for?How many people do you know who will be able to support pup if you can'tetc...etc..ETC.
I think the best way to go around this would be to have less daunting question's and invite people in for an interview.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I really wonder if this differs by region. I've yet to run into these nutty rescues, and I volunteer with 2, worked at a shelter that networked with (screened) rescues, etc. I know they exist, so maybe I'm just lucky?!

yoko

I got turned down by a rescue because I couldn't tell them the breed of dog Yoshi was and mix or mutt wasn't acceptable to them :/

I figure I'll just always stay with county shelters. They've always worked for me.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
How much different is it when you adopt from a place like animal control shelters (is there a name for them specifically?) versus a regular no-kill humane society?

I remember being little and begging my mom to go to the local animal control kill shelter and I saw people adopt and walk out with dogs the same day. Are they much less strict than even a regular, good no-kill shelter because they have to put down so many and bring in so many?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Animal control type places are usually pretty old school.

You show ID saying you are over 18. You pay adoption fee. you get the dog.. Usually same day if the dog is already spayed/neutered

Pops2

How much different is it when you adopt from a place like animal control shelters (is there a name for them specifically?) versus a regular no-kill humane society?

I remember being little and begging my mom to go to the local animal control kill shelter and I saw people adopt and walk out with dogs the same day. Are they much less strict than even a regular, good no-kill shelter because they have to put down so many and bring in so many?
yep
and i will always go to such places over the typical "rescue". i don't mind a little questioning but the degree of invasiveness i've seen ensures i won't go to most "rescues." IME a lot of the crazy invasive, no flexability "rescues" are really hoarders enabling each other,

Members online

No members online now.