Worst dog ever.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I've seen my fair share of spazzy, out of control dogs, but I've never been as appalled as I was today over the behavior of this one dog. It's my week to help out taking care of the dogs at school, so I took this one beagle x outside for a potty break. Pottying never happened, because the entire time he was chewing on the leash, chewing on my hands, jumping up on me and biting my arms, my clothes, probably would have bit my face if he could. I don't know how old he is, if he's a puppy or what, but I feel like it was almost borderline vicious. He had NO bite inhibition whatsoever--my arm is bruised and I have red marks all up and down from him. Seriously even when I put him back in his kennel, when I turned around to walk out, he still kept jumping on me and biting at me.

I've never been so frustrated with a dog. All the dogs we get are from shelters and they're at school for about a month; not only are they there for us to practice on, but it's also our job to try to make them more adoptable. It's no surprise he ended up in a shelter and I feel bad for him because I don't know who would want to adopt a dog with that kind of behavior. I'm seriously hoping I don't have to walk him the rest of the week, because it's obnoxious and PAINFUL. And I have no idea how to get him to stop.

I wish people would just train their puppies.

lizzybeth727

What school is this? Do you have a supervisor/trainer who can give you a training plan for this dog?

First thing that comes to mind for me is to go in there with a toy (or two), and keep his mouth busy with the toy. Reward him with praise, attention, and possibly tugging when the toy is in his mouth.

Lolas Dad

I
I wish people would just train their puppies.

Perhaps he came from a puppy mill to the shelter. Puppy Mill dogs are not trained because they had no previous owner and it's possible that he was pulled early from the litter which happens a lot to dogs from puppy mills. They are supposed to learn not to bite from their mother and that usually would happen in the 6th or 7th week.

Next time he bites yelp loudly.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I do not think I would call it the worst dog ever. It is really not the dogs fault, the dog has obviously had no training and is probably under socialized.

We have a dog at school that is just like that. A purebred Walker Coonhound puppy, at just 10 months old. He jumps up, pulls at the leash, is a master at getting off his face harness, will nip at you, etc. He was my favorite dog there, along with a Shih Tzu. I did not blame it on him, I know these dogs and cats all come from the SPCA. Nobody else ever wanted to walk him, because "he is too mean" and when they did walk him, the just let him jump up and pull on the leash and everything. Boy were they shocked when I took him out (I was told I was brave for wanting to take him) and did NOT let him get away with any of it. Did anybody else who was walking him let him get away with it? It probably was a fun game to him! People were playing what he wanted to play, and he was getting the attention he craved the way he wanted it.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I do not think I would call it the worst dog ever. It is really not the dogs fault, the dog has obviously had no training and is probably under socialized.
It's just a thread title.

They got a gentle leader for him today which is funny because yesterday they told me he didn't need one and was just playful. We don't have toys for them, so when I take him outside it's just me, him, and the leash. The behavior never stops and I don't know how to GET him to stop. I can put up with it for 3 more days if I'm the one who has to take him out, but ohh my arm is so sore and bruised today from where he was biting me yesterday. I don't know anybody who has actually trained bite inhibition, they just wait for the puppy to outgrow it, but I've never seen a dog THIS bad about it.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
We constantly get dogs like this at the pet hotel... most of our frequent daycamp dogs are always there because they're super unruly. There is this little yellow Lab named Sushi and I have honestly never met a more spastic dog in my life. I wasn't even aware that dogs could get so bad. If there is a water bowl anywhere in sight, she is frantically digging all of the water out and literally throwing the bowl around. She bounces off the walls in daycamp, literally, and all of the dogs become enfuriated by her rudeness. Even after racing around for 3 hours, she is still bouncing off of the walls and has enough energy to nearly give me a black eye and rip my shirt in one fell leap. And did I mention her "bark" is more like a deafening monkey screech, which can go on for hours? Oy vey, that dog!

My best advice is to not reward him at all for his behavior - I'm sure he has been punished/scolded for it, but any attention is better than no attention to some dogs. Beagles are especially stubborn, and forcing them and disciplining them into cooperations is a losing battle. A gentle leader is not teaching him manners. It's turning his head around every time he pulls against a leash... and probably doing more harm than good TBH. I agree with using toys to occupy his mouth and teach him that there is a difference between pants and a toy. Cry out loudly, make a growly noise, or turn your back to him completely when he mouths you. Beagles are usually very foody, so bring lots of good treats on your walks and teach him that he only gets them when he is gentle and when he is being calm and polite. Are there experienced trainers at your school, or is it just a high school thing or what? Is there anywhere that he can run around and expend some energy before training sessions?

Members online

No members online now.