How do you get pup in cage before work?

Dirk

Hi,
Just before I go to work, I put my 2 month old in his cage. He is getting more and more elusive when it's time to put him in his cage. I usually have to chase him around the sofa chair or kitchen table. I guess I can leave a leash on him in the morning to make it easier. What do you suggest?

He does that sometimes before bedtime too.

Thanks!

W

whatszmatter

make the crate a fun place, feed him in the crate, periodically throw treats in the crate with the door open so he can come and go as he pleases. Right now your teaching him the very fun game of keep away, either keeping a toy away from you or keeping himself away. Its a very fun game for dogs, to run and be chased, and you don't want to reinforce it. stop with the chasing, feed and treat in the crate often.

In the short term, you could try the "Oh, is there a puppy in the house?" fakeout. That is, you elaborately pretend that the absolute furthest thing from your mind is getting your hands on the dog - walk away, whistle, fool around with something in the kitchen, talk to yourself, sit in the middle of the floor and meditate - just pretend that the puppy doesn't exist. If you're lucky, his curiosity will get the better of him and he'll come sneaking up to see what you're doing. When he gets there, ignore him until he's sitting on your feet or in your lap, then casually grab him. Depending on how curious/gullible he is, this could work repeatedly or just once.

brem

I'm the alpha dog
Even if he is used to it, Yoshi still doesn't like the dreadful cage when it comes time to go to work in the morning.
He even now associates his morning treat after he pees with me leaving him alone in the cage... *sigh*.

At least he doesn't bark anymore.

Good doggie.

mojozen

bullie lover
Have you thought about getting your dog a kong? If he likes peanut butter (and I don't know what dog that doesn't) get him a puppy kong and smear a bit of peanut butter on the inside. When you want your puppy to go to his crate toss that kong inside of his crate.

Start doing this during times you are at home as well as when you are leaving for the day. As you toss the kong in say "Crate!" in a merry, happy voice every time so your puppy associates the term "crate" with "oooo treat!" nstead of associating "crate" with "oh no they are leaving me!" And if you do this when you are home as well as when you are leaving he won't associate it only with you leaving. You don't have to leave him in there for long periods of time (when you are at home) just long enough so he can get a good lick of the kong's stuffin.

Plus only give him this kong when you want him to go to his crate.Don't let him have it at other times. This kong is for crate use ONLY... It's a special treat kong.

PS: you can use other things to stuff a kong, not just peanut butter. Squeeze cheese or canned dog food work equally as well... especially when you freeze it.

C

cindr

crating puppy

Every one here has the right info. Nice to see that. We always feed puppy and or give them a toy in their crate. Even when the crate is open the dogs get into them. They just love their private space. When they see that I am getting ready to leave they either look for the command to go with me or the crate. If I say go to bed they say OKAY!!!!!!!!

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
I train a "go into your crate" command. My mother's uses the phrase "puppy nappy time" and her three Malinois go right into their crates, where they get a cookie. I use the phrase "get in your box" for my dogs. I sometimes give a reward for the dog going in the crate, but not always. When I was initially training it, I ALWAYS gave a treat.

I would say train your dog with food and/or toy (and of course praise) to go into the crate on their own, no catching and stuffing involved :)

Members online

No members online now.