Online classes

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I am thinking since I am down to just 1 class a week I might sign up for an online agility class. I was thinking maybe Trkman or something...

Anyone now of a good one that doesn't require more than a few jumps and a tunnel that is coming up soon? I'm going to have to do some research.

Which classes have you taken and did you like them?

Aleron

The only agility specific class I've taken is Trkman's Foundations. It's a fun class that you in theory only need a few jumps, a tunnel and a plank for. There's teeter work too though. The thing that's hard about online classes is keeping up with the video editing if you have a working spot. I think you'd enjoy that class though.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
How many videos are you doing? One a week? I was trying to decide if I'd rather just audit since its cheaper.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I for one am completely wretched when it comes to keeping up with online classes. I get to traveling or get distracted by excellent weather and the siren call of the lake and hiking trails...or all my projects at home...

That said if you don't already have a Clean Run subscription that might be good. Most of their "backyard agility" setups can be done or modified to work on whatever you have at home. Same for their full course analysis stuff...you can set up portions of the course according to your space and equipment.

Or if you wanted to go really cheap, trawl google images for course maps people post online and pick out interesting sections. AgilityNerd has a lot of small sequences too as well as different handling options (or did, tbh I haven't been on his site in a while).

I know this doesn't really answer the OP directly, but there's a few alternate options. I learn the most from finding course maps w/ video...either everyday trial runs or national/regional/world courses, and setting them up and working different concepts on them. The nice thing about the higher level courses is that you can often run them several different ways, reverse them, and just make up new courses with the same setup to minimize wasted equipment moving time.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
You might audit first just to see how it works and how it fits into your schedule. I really want to take an Agility U class with Payton, but I don't know if I have the money to throw down to participate given that I'm really busy and might not be able to film and post. It's only a difference of $100, but $100 is $100... I paid all that money to be a participant in Trkman's class and I should have just snagged an auditor spot for all the participation I did. =P

So maybe try auditing and see what you think and you'll know for the future.

You also might look into doing seminars. I haven't found any seminars I want to do yet but I have a list of people I would LIKE to take Payton to if they come around here, so I keep my eyes and ears open. Greg Louganis will most definitely come to St. Louis again at some point. Dave Munnings was in Chicago a few years ago so I'm hoping they'll bring him back.
Or clearly I need to just host my OWN agility seminars and bring people in.

EVERYBODY COME DO AGILITY SEMINARS IN MY BACKYARD

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
No one does seminars out in okie land lol. My trainers have done a few but they let everyone know. Nothing coming up.

I think I'd definitely audit vs participate in class. Just not sure if I can commit to a full class.

I do not have a clean run subscription. I will have to do that.

We just need to stay busy. I like real life classes best. Wish they had another round of the teamwork class.

BostonBanker

I've done two online classes - Recallers (which obviously isn't agility specific) and Agility Fix-It through Agility U.

I wouldn't do a class like Recallers again. I find it hard to motivate myself when I'm one of hundreds and there's no way to get one-on-one attention. The information in it is fantastic, but it could have been a book and I would have gotten the same amount out of it.

I LOVED the Agility U class, and would definitely take more if I had more money and easier access to equipment. My particular "fix-it" was stuff that didn't need any equipment at all for the first few weeks, and then pretty limited stuff (you were asked what you had access to at the beginning, so exercises could be tailored to your situation), but it was still hard to do, and I felt like I was intruding on friends when I went over to their houses to use equipment and tape. I also drove around with a tunnel and jump in my backseat for a couple of weeks and would randomly pull off into fields or empty parking areas to work. I'm amazed I wasn't arrested for filming, or at least questioned!

The class was pretty small (12, maybe?). You had your own thread in the forum where you posted all your stuff and got feedback. The feedback was fast - if I posted one evening, there would be a reply by early/mid morning the next day, with a few exceptions (weekends) where half the time I think the instructor was replying from trials. That level of specific, individual feedback was perfect to keep my motivated. I posted probably 3 videos a week for the first half, where it was mostly games and such I could do easily with no equipment, and then once a week or so after that (often a montage of a couple days worth of work).

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
That's 3 people so far saying they loved their agility U classes. I will definitely look more into it! I think my first spurge is going to be a tunnel though lol.

I want to take all the classes....

chelsey

Agility U has different instructors - so just be aware of that when you sign up. I took an Agility U class with Tracy Sklenar and she was excellent but I didn't think I got a lot of material for the cost of the class.

The best deal by far for me has been Trkman's foundations. I originally signed up as an auditor then a few weeks in I asked her if I could upgrade. Now you get the class and a dvd for the cost of a working spot. I definitely got my money's worth with Wiley. I signed up as a repeater/2nd dog in the next offering with Java but she needed a lot of drive building so I only submitted a couple videos but didn't mind so much since it wasn't the full cost of the class. I might sign up again at some point (you can do repeater/2nd dog as many times as you want), maybe next spring with Slice or Java again.

For agility another good deal is Justine Davenport's facebook based online classes. http://www.shapeupagility.com Check out her videos, she is a great handler and trainer and I learned a TON from her from her online classes (which a working spot is . If you are looking for handling specific stuff I would recommend her over Trkman's foundations. If you are looking for general agility teachings and drive building go for Trkman. For Agility-U stuff find a reference from someone who has taken a class by the specific teacher you are considering.

Ok now my turn :) I am considering taking Margaret Simek's nosework classes at the Fenzi School. I think I would do an auditing spot though at this point. I am working in a foundation seminar in a week with one of my mals and getting my supplies in to start training. Anyone ever do a seminar with her or online anything?

Members online

No members online now.