Zoology...or Education?

Saeleofu

So, I've been planning on applying to Washington State University for grad school starting in fall 2014. I was pretty much settled on zoology. But...I'm starting to do education programs at the zoo, and I'm really liking them so far. I have 10 programs this week to teach, so I'll have a better idea of how much I REALLY like them after this week...and the rest of the summer.

So, now I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting a grad degree in education of some sort instead? I have had no education classes so far, but I do have a BA in psychology, a minor in biology, and I will have a BS in zoo science come December. I really like the education department. Thing is, not all zoos have an amazing education department. All zoos have animal areas. That said, zoo science is enough to work in an animal area. It may not be enough for an education position, depending on the facility.

I've heard our department curator say before that she'd rather see someone with education in their...education. She can teach them the science, but it's harder to teach them to teach.

Is it possible to get into grad school in a field that you have not taken any classes in previously? Is there a big enough market in other animal-related education fields to justify an education degree? To be honest, I don't think I'd mind teaching biology or zoology or something in a school. I suppose it doesn't have to be limited to a zoo.

Pops2

Teaching is as much art as science. I've run into people with all the credentials & degrees that still couldn't teach to save their life. So if you enjoy it (a huge part of being good at it), then it might be worth it to you to get the degree because unfortunately in many fields credentials trump ability.

Members online

No members online now.