holding bladder at night

Maxy24

Not exactly a training issue but I was just wondering at what age your dogs could hold their bladders through the night (8 hours)? Right now Tucker goes 5 hours and we are in no rush to push it but we kind of want an idea of when we can start asking him to hold it longer.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I would maybe add a half hour each week. I can't remember how old is he so I don't know if you should start it now or wait a couple weeks. So it's more of a gradual thing as opposed to just one day having him wait 3 more hours to see how he does. I don't really have experience though. We got Lucy when she was 11 weeks old and we never took her out during the night. The first week or two we had Juno I would take her out, but that was really just to get a break from her all-night whining lol. Once the whining stopped, I stopped taking her out unless she woke up. Even now at 1.5 years old, she -occasionally- will wake up at like 1am and need to go out. :rolleyes:

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
The "rule of thumb" is supposed to be one month = one hour, two months = two hours, though some people use one hour = two hours, two months = three hours. The latter sounds closer to what I remember with Auggie during the night. During the DAY he could hold his bladder for an insane amount of time... usually if he was outside he would hold it. :rolleyes:
So using that, either at eight or nine months, the dog can be expect to hold it through the night easily. It didn't take that long with Auggie though. I think he was probably six months when he was holding it through the night.

Grab

Goose is 10 weeks and, aside from the evening that she had diarrhea (and woke us up..good puppy), has slept through the night since we brought her home. We don't ask her to..she just doesn't wake up. Our getting up in the middle of the night to take her out ended with us waking up a snoring puppy and getting irritated ears and a grumpy face while she peed outside. I go to bed late, though, so she's always out for a last potty..thus her sleep time is generally about 5 hours. If it's a day off, like today, I still get up at the normal time and let her out and give her breakfast...and then we go back to sleep;)

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Z was reliable overnight crated at 5.5mo when I brought her home and reliable loose at 10 months (didn't try it before then). Kes was reliable overnight crated at about 4.5mo - he only needed to be let out in the middle of the night for the first 2 nights I think. He was reliable loose at about 8 months.

Snark

Mutts to you
Riley was pretty much sleeping through the night within a couple weeks of his arrival (I think he was around 8 weeks when we brought him home); but, like Grab, it's only about 5 hours between his last night time potty break and the morning wake up call. My problem has always been (and still is) dragging his little hairy rump out of bed in the morning.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Fozzie held it for 8 hours from 9 weeks on... I suppose I'm lucky. :)

The 8 week old puppy that I cared for for a month could hold it for 6 hours, and then 8 hours within a couple weeks. I limited water intake a couple hours before bed and walked him as late at night as possible. And I did not go in until he had peed at least once!

Members online

No members online now.