sport for my dog?

yoko

today i took yoshi out to the pond and found a love of hers! she'll retrieve ANYTHING from the water. i threw one stick out and for the rest of the day she kept bringing sticks in. i was wondering if there were any competitions that i could practice for and enter in that she would be able to retrive from the water. and how would i find and enter a competition? *she's a terrier mix not pure breed*

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
Well I've seen a lot of hype about "dock dogs" recently, and it's literally almost exactly what you've described. An item is thrown into the water, and then the dog is sent to retrieve it (running and jumping off of a dock). Points are given for the length of the jump.

As of yet, I've only seen the purebred retrievers in these competitions, but I'm by no means an expert, so please look into it and see if you can find out whether there's a similar sport for mixes!

AusCatDogs_4Ever

but please call me Aus.
tempura tantrum said:
Well I've seen a lot of hype about "dock dogs" recently, and it's literally almost exactly what you've described. An item is thrown into the water, and then the dog is sent to retrieve it (running and jumping off of a dock). Points are given for the length of the jump.

As of yet, I've only seen the purebred retrievers in these competitions, but I'm by no means an expert, so please look into it and see if you can find out whether there's a similar sport for mixes!
That sport sounds perfect for your dog! I've seen it on T.V. but they didn't use retrievers, it was all portugese water dogs.

Good Luck!:)

yoko

would this be a sport i probably shouldn't enter until i was sure i could win? or would it be ok to enter and just have fun? i would love to compete but i wouldn't want to offend anyone who had worked a long time for it?

Snark

Mutts to you
I don't see how anyone would be offended if you just competed for fun... unless you beat the pants off them, and then they'd just be poor sports, which isn't your problem. I know one usually sees the water breeds competing but I also know someone who has a Rottie that competes in dock diving and has a great time. I'd say go for it! And take pics so we can see your guy in action!

AusCatDogs_4Ever

but please call me Aus.
Of course you can enter just for fun! Lots of people do agility with their dogs (even dogs that could never win if their life depended on it :p) just for fun. It's mainly about having a great time with your dog and trying to do your best. :D

yoko

i've been looking into it and i don't see anything big but i have found a few small competitions :) i think i might work with yoshi and try to enter her :D

Members online

No members online now.