Those with a green thumb: help?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
After doing more yard work today, I think I may try to actually plant something. Or somethings. The problem is...I know nothing.

I am not creative. I can't look at a flowerbed and go, "Oh, this flower would look SO PRETTY when combined with this one, and these bloom at this time, so I need something to bloom at this time to compensate. And these need X much space, so I have to be sure to plant this one X far away." Yah, no. My mom loves to design flowerbeds and my dad gardens...I have inherited nothing of their aptitude or drive.

So give me Growing Things 101. What is important? What is mandatory? What do I need to pay attention to when I'm choosing a plant?

I'm in southern Mississippi, along the coast. The soil is sandy. We get a LOT of rain. Full sun, partial sun, or shade: I have them all. I have a few large pots I'd like to utilize, and some very small areas where I'd actually be planting in the ground. I'm mainly looking for something for purely aesthetic purposes, but if it is multi-functional, all the better.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Members online

No members online now.