cat help?

nancy2394

My cat snuck out almost a month ago when I was letting the dog out to go pee. We nearly gave up hope of ever finding him. We searched and searched and put of hundreds of flyers around town...etc. The other day I figured I'd try one more time with some new flyers. It worked, someone saw one of my flyers and called me tonight. She had been feeding my cat on her porch for over a week. I don't know where he was prior to that.

First thing I did when I got him home was give him a bath and look him over real good. He was loaded with fleas and had a few cuts and a sore foot. He has lost soooooo much weight in the month that he's been out on his own. The thing I am worried most about is a cough he has. He's never had a cough before, and it's a hoarse sounding cough. He has no eye drainage or nose drainage. Doesn't have any respiratory difficulty, just that cough.

I am planning on taking him to the vet when they open on monday. I want them to check him over and see what they say about the cough. I'm guessing he will need a round of antibiotics for it. My concern is, if he's not in any distress.... can I wait to monday to take him? If I took him tomorrow it would cost me double and I'd prefer to wait to monday unless I really should go sooner.

Anyone know anything about cats coughing? Is it similar to what you'd see in a dog with kennel cough?

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I'm not sure, but unless it really worsens, I'd take him in Monday. I'm really glad you found him though!!!

nancy2394

We really almost gave up hope. And we've had some pretty nasty weather here these last few weeks and to think he was out in it just breaks my heart. We've had him for almost 10 years. He's never gotten out and disappeared like that. I am soooooooooo grateful that lady called me tonight. He's curled up in my bed right next to me :)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'd just call on Monday and make an appointment. Unless he seemed really sick otherwise, I don't think there's any reason to rush him to an emergency clinic. Not a bad idea to bring him in anyway for a check up since he's been out for so long. Glad you got him back!

I agree with the others, keep a close eye on him and if he worsens take him in, but I would wait until monday other wise, as long as he is eating and drinking.

Glad you found him though! If one of hubbys cats went missing for a month he would be beside himself.

Snark

Mutts to you
If he's eating and doesn't seem unhappy (keeping to himself, looking a little bedraggled from not grooming), I'd say you're safe until tomorrow. I'm glad you got him back!
We had one of our cats get out, and did the same thing (flyers, posters, etc.) although we did have people calling to report seeing her. She was a shy cat so no one catch her and it took a good six weeks before we got her back. We put out a couple of posters afterward to let people know she was home and had people call to say they were happy to know the outcome of our search.

nancy2394

he's been glued to our sides since he got home. I've only heard him cough a couple of times. He's eating and drinking fine. He used his litter box like he always did. I was a little worried he'd pee and poop on the floor since he's been outside for a month and going where ever he wanted. He's not limping on that soar paw. It's just one toe on the right foot that is a little red and swollen around the base of the nail. He probably got it caught on something. I've trimmed all his nails after I gave him a nice hot bath last night and washed him in dawn soap to get rid of all the fleas he had from being outside.

He has been purring up a storm. He is soooooo happy to be home, I can tell. And we sure are happy to have him back home safe where he belongs. I'm hoping the occasional cough is something that can just be cleared up with a little antibiotics and not the whole HUGE work up that will be quite costly. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when he goes to the vet.

Members online

No members online now.