Faulty/Undesirable Colors

Xandra

For GSD's

Dilutes and whites are the big no-no's. I guess pandas deserve a special mention though I believe that is techinically a pattern not a color? Other colors aren't allowed but I don't think they really show up. So yeah. Whites and dilutes.

Saeleofu

For GSD's

Dilutes and whites are the big no-no's. I guess pandas deserve a special mention though I believe that is techinically a pattern not a color? Other colors aren't allowed but I don't think they really show up. So yeah. Whites and dilutes.
Unless you're in UKC...sooooo many whites, even in the show ring. I have yet to see a dilute in person, and I don't know if UKC allows them or not, but I don't care for them from what I've seen in pictures. I don't care for the pandas either.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Basenji's

Color
Chestnut red; pure black; tricolor (pure black and chestnut red); or brindle (black stripes on a background of chestnut red); all with white feet, chest and tail tip. White legs, blaze and collar optional. The amount of white should never predominate over primary color. Color and markings should be rich, clear and well-defined, with a distinct line of demarcation between the black and red of tricolors and the stripes of brindles.

I should mention that they also allow trindles which are tris with brindling in their red markings. This is actually what Watson's coloration is.

In their native land of Africa you will see dogs that are sable & white and lemon & white, but they are not considered allowed colors here.

Shar Pei

Color
Only solid colors and sable are acceptable and are to be judged on an equal basis. A solid color dog may have shading, primarily darker, down the back and on the ears. The shading must be variations of the same body color and may include darker hairs throughout the coat. The following colors are disqualifications: Albino; Not a solid color, i.e.: Brindle; Parti-colored; Spotted; Patterned in any combination of colors.

The amazing thing about this is that Peis do come in brindle, Parti-colored or spotted (called a flowered Shar Pei) and even in black and tan...but those colors as mentioned are a DQ in the ring.

Red.Apricot

Tervs are sable with a black mask, and the AKC only allows reds. I'm pretty sure they go from yellow-y sort of red through dark rich red-red, with little-to-tons of blackening on the back. There can be a little white on the toes and a small white patch on the chest, and I think the tip of the tail has to be black?

This is from memory, so I may have messed something up.

Pops2

Basenji's

Color
Chestnut red; pure black; tricolor (pure black and chestnut red); or brindle (black stripes on a background of chestnut red); all with white feet, chest and tail tip. White legs, blaze and collar optional. The amount of white should never predominate over primary color. Color and markings should be rich, clear and well-defined, with a distinct line of demarcation between the black and red of tricolors and the stripes of brindles.

I should mention that they also allow trindles which are tris with brindling in their red markings. This is actually what Watson's coloration is.

In their native land of Africa you will see dogs that are sable & white and lemon & white, but they are not considered allowed colors here.

Shar Pei

Color
Only solid colors and sable are acceptable and are to be judged on an equal basis. A solid color dog may have shading, primarily darker, down the back and on the ears. The shading must be variations of the same body color and may include darker hairs throughout the coat. The following colors are disqualifications: Albino; Not a solid color, i.e.: Brindle; Parti-colored; Spotted; Patterned in any combination of colors.

The amazing thing about this is that Peis do come in brindle, Parti-colored or spotted (called a flowered Shar Pei) and even in black and tan...but those colors as mentioned are a DQ in the ring.
if a color or pattern is mentioned in the standard it's because it happens in the breed even if it's not desirable. if it isn't mentioned it is because the color doesn't appear in a purebred representative of the breed. for example merle in pitbulldogs, no such thing as a merle bulldog & none of the british terriers came in merle so merle wasa clear indication of mixed breeding. therefore merle simply isn't mentioned in the standard, unlike B & T.

Barbara!

For GSD's

So I learned something today. Lol. Do reputable breeders breed white GSD's?

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
if a color or pattern is mentioned in the standard it's because it happens in the breed even if it's not desirable. if it isn't mentioned it is because the color doesn't appear in a purebred representative of the breed. for example merle in pitbulldogs, no such thing as a merle bulldog & none of the british terriers came in merle so merle wasa clear indication of mixed breeding. therefore merle simply isn't mentioned in the standard, unlike B & T.
This isn't entirely true tho I would definitely call it a "guideline" and is true about 80% of the time.

Purebred Aussies also come in "ee Yellow" and "AyAy Sable" but neither of those colors is specifically mentioned in the standard.

Flyinsbt

Wouldn't know. I was just repeating what I'd heard. I don't know the real reason. :dunno:
The tan-point pattern is an autosomal recessive. One theory as to why it's forbidden is that the people writing the standard believed that it would dominate the other colors if allowed, but we really don't know why they didn't want it. It's also not a disqualification in the mother country, it's "highly undesirable" (as is liver). Which effectively means it might as well be a DQ, since a dog couldn't be successfully shown in the UK with a trait so listed. The competition is too stiff.

When the US standard was formulated, I believe I've heard that the AKC wanted there to be a disqualification, so the undesirable colors were listed as a DQ. It makes it more in line with the country of origin anyway, since if they were just "undesirable" here, dogs of those colors would still finish.

Blue is a controversial color, since it is not possible for a blue dog to have the black nose required in the standard. It also wasn't in the original standard, it was added in the 1948 revision. It was very rare until recently, when it's become a fad color, to many people's chagrin. A blue Stafford has never finished a UK championship, since the competition there is too stiff for a dog with such an obvious fault to finish. There are plenty of US blue champions, though. Since it's pretty easy to finish a dog here.

chaospony

The Afghan hound standard states "All colors are permissible, but color or color combinations are pleasing; white markings, especially on the head, are undesirable."

......then someone posts pictures of black and white Afghan hounds and the angry mob attacks with accusations of spaniels and border collie crosses. :(

But Afghan hounds come in pretty much any color you can get, red, blue, silver, various Brindles and dominos. Of course people can never seem to agree wether the dog is silver or blue, red or cream!

Fun fact though: An afghan hound's color is listed as the color of it's saddle (the short hair down their back) so a dog that appears blonde could really be considered red because it's saddle is a redder color than the rest of it.
Other fun fact, Afghan hounds can go through amazing changes in coat color through their lives.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
American Bully
Pretty clear cut, no fuss lol

ABKC:
COLOR

• All colors and patterns are permissible except the color merle.

Disqualifying Faults: Color Merle

BBCR:
COLOR

All colors and patterns are permissible except merle

elegy

overdogged
What I've heard is that B&T is dominant and it could eventually lead to the breed becoming mostly B&T. I've also heard that it's a sign that another breed has been mixed in because B&T isn't found in bulldogs. Though it is found in some terriers, so that doesn't make sense to me. Whatever the case is, that's the standard. Why aren't Dobermans and Rotties allowed to be colours other than B&T? Why must the Dogue de Bordeaux be fawn? Why can't Mastiffs be piebald? Why? It's the standard.
Well, Dobes can be black, red, fawn, or blue. Do Rottweilers naturally come in any other colors? I don't know anything about Mastiffs, but I would expect they don't come in piebald because piebald does not occur in the breed.

I understand with some breeds that only come in xyz colors because those are the colors genetically possible. What I don't understand is why certain *naturally occurring* colors are not permissible.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
I understand with some breeds that only come in xyz colors because those are the colors genetically possible. What I don't understand is why certain *naturally occurring* colors are not permissible.
With Aussies, Sable and Yellow were not allowed because Merle can be difficult to see on those base colors and it was believe it would lead to a higher probability of unintentional merle to merle breedings. You may ask "Why not just get rid of Merle then instead of those two other colors?" Well the simple answer is that the Aussies were known as the "Little Blue dogs" it was an important identifying characteristic that had to stay.

The English Shepherd went the other way and they decided to keep sable and yellow but ban merling. Both the Aussie and the English Shepherd had the same origins.

Aleron

Tervs are sable with a black mask, and the AKC only allows reds. I'm pretty sure they go from yellow-y sort of red through dark rich red-red, with little-to-tons of blackening on the back. There can be a little white on the toes and a small white patch on the chest, and I think the tip of the tail has to be black?

This is from memory, so I may have messed something up.
Color is a funny thing with the Belgians.

The AKC standard allows for grays now but they are not preferred. In AKC, black is a DQ for Tervs...everywhere else they are Groenendael ;) Same with brown in AKC Belgian Sheepdogs...in AKC it is a DQ but everywhere else they are Tervs. AKC Belgian Sheepdogs can obviously only be black but there are some rare cases of dilutes or dogs with tan markings like bi-colors in GSDs, showing up. I have seen some excessive (for the breed) white on Groenendaels and that happens in the other varieties as well. High white socks, large white patches on the chest and neck, even one with an entirely white leg as a puppy (which turned gray as the puppy got older). Weirder is I have seen black dogs develop white patterns in old age, not typical graying but clear very white patterns. Dilutes can also happen in the other varieties. There is a possibility for Black Mals too, although most examples I have seen have been KNPV bred dogs so not entirely Malinois. And in an oops litter someone had with a Mal and Groen.

PyrSheps come in just about every color but excessive white, poor pigmentation and copper points are not allowed.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
UKC says they must have a "fine streaked or striped effect" (actually the NPHA says that & UKC has to go with it ;) ) any color's cool, including black with brindle trim... what you CAN'T have is a solid color or more than a little white on the toes & chest.

Now, when AKC got hold of the standard a few years ago, they said solid black & buckskins are cool...

Lyzelle

I don't know anything about Mastiffs, but I would expect they don't come in piebald because piebald does not occur in the breed.
Mastiffs can have quite a bit of white. They discourage it because of the fear of white=deafness and other health issues(of which they already have plenty of). Strong coloring is preferred, too. The blacker the mask the better. On brindles it's the clearer the brindle the better, I believe. But "clear" doesn't necessarily mean light, if that makes sense. Just very defined, not muddy. Brindles usually have the most white, though, which is why they were highly discouraged until recent years.

But white from the bottom up does occur now and then.

All this talk of brindle actually has me thinking. I don't believe I've ever heard of a brindle Sibe. But I don't think it's ever been said that it can't happen.

Saeleofu

Boxers - fawn, brindle, fawn and white, brindle and white. Black/black and white isn't really black, it's "reverse brindle". White, or too much white, are not allowed. They happen, though, even with reputable breeders, as a side effect of flashy white markings.

Members online

No members online now.