new to the forum and looking for advice

Hi,
I have always wanted to be a groomer, but I'm having a difficult time finding positions for someone without 2 years grooming experience . I am hoping y'all might have some wisdom to offer to a newbie.
I have been searching the classifieds in the paper, on craigslist, and googling job searches. I'm wondering if there might be better websites to search for assistant grooming positions. I would really like to work under someones supervision, but I'm wondering how difficult it will be to find opportunities or if I will have to go to grooming school. They are sooo expensive!
I do have some experience. I worked as a bather at PetsMart for 8 months. I am completely comfortable trimming nails, bathing, brushing, shaving sanitary areas, etc. I have been fully grooming four toy poodles for five years now and do a fair job.
If anyone could offer some assistance I would really, really appreciate it.
Thank you in advance!
Melissa

~Tucker&Me~

If you have another job you could rely on for a while, one thing you could try is shadowing :) That would give you relevant experience that would make your resume stronger.

lizzybeth727

Why did you leave Petsmart? The good thing about them is that they'll send you to grooming academy for free (actually they'll pay you to go), which is a better deal than you'll find pretty much anywhere else.

Grooming's like a lot of jobs in the dog field, you can't get hired unless you have experience, but you can't get experience because nobody will hire you. :rolleyes:

Barb04

Super Moderator
Petco will also send you to school to learn to be a groomer at their store.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
You need to find someone to apprentice under for at least 4 working hours a day. You will also need to start saving for your own equipment. You also need to decide what kind of grooming you want to do. Show grooming is very different than pet grooming. Volunteering for a rescue or shelter is a great place to learn while you apprentice. You will also need to figure out a sharpening service.

Petco basically does apprenticeships but IMO it's pretty cut throat because training a new groomer means the old groomer is out commission. Really, they're a lousy employer in that regard but there are a fair number of worthwhile people to learn from there.

Thanks for all your advice.
I left PetsMart on good terms as I was getting married and my husband's job was moving him and then I had kids so now it's been several years, but maybe I should start there. After training, you must commit to working there for two years, but since they are a good business that shouldn't be a problem. Still, I'm not sure all the logistics if you hope to open your own business (which I would like to do).
I am open to working full or part time whatever I can get because I don't currently have a job. What do y'all think about visiting grooming shops with my resume? Also, I am certain I found a website several years ago listing tons of grooming jobs a couple even stating that they would be willing to train you, but I just can't find it now that I need it.
I guess the first place I'll put in my resume is PetsMart and maybe Petco too although cut throat doesn't sound very appealing to me...

Members online

No members online now.