Rocks almost thrown at my dog

I was walking Blue and we turned on this one street there is a 5 or 6 year old across the street he makes a noise at Blue. Blue looks at him then goes back to walking and sniffing at the grass. As we go on the next thing I know I hear his mother say don't you dare and turn around to see rocks hit the street near us.

Seriously this boy just tried to throw rocks at my dog we where no where near him and he is on the other side of the street. WTF?:yikes:

I hope the mom teaches her child it's not nice to throw rocks at dogs walking by him or across the street.

milos_mommy

Weird. I mean, lots of kids throw rocks when they're 2 or 3...but usually they know by 5 or 6 it's not okay. Are you sure he wasn't younger? Did you hear the mother say anything other than "don't you dare"?

I'd probably say something to the kid, honestly. Like "throwing rocks is not okay and it hurts people and animals" which apparently is too much for his mother to manage....

Nope he had to be 5 or 6 years old he is about as tall as my friend's 6 year old he isn't 2 or 3 for sure way too tall. Yeah that is all I heard from his mom is don't you dare.

I thought about giving a piece of my mind about not letting your kid throwing rocks to his mother, but Blue was freaking out so I tried to get him out of there to calm him down.

milos_mommy

Nope he had to be 5 or 6 years old he is about as tall as my friend's 6 year old he isn't 2 or 3 for sure way too tall. Yeah that is all I heard from his mom is don't you dare.

You definitely can't just use height or even appearance as a judge of age, though. I'm really tall and was as tall as kids three years older than me until high school. I know a lot of kids who are as small as toddlers and wear toddler sizes and are in elementary school, too. I mean it's easy to tell the difference between a 2 year old and 6 year old but between a 3/4 or 5 year old it's not that easy.

Everyone always expected me to act a lot older as a child than I actually was, because I looked older.

Pam111

You definitely can't just use height or even appearance as a judge of age, though. I'm really tall and was as tall as kids three years older than me until high school. I know a lot of kids who are as small as toddlers and wear toddler sizes and are in elementary school, too. I mean it's easy to tell the difference between a 2 year old and 6 year old but between a 3/4 or 5 year old it's not that easy.

Everyone always expected me to act a lot older as a child than I actually was, because I looked older.
It's the same with my nephew. He's 3 now, and in a size 6. He was in a size 5 at 2. His doctor predicts he will be 6'7" because he is sooo tall. My sister used to get a lot of funny looks when he was in a high chair at a restaurant at 18 months-2 years or when he would throw a fit or something. People expected he should be talking and acting a lot older but he was just a baby

Pops2

it sounds like mom was on it and you're blowing it out of proportion. if i got after my kid for throwing rocks & then you came "giving me a piece of your mind" you'd get it right back.
ETA
she could have done more like make the child apologize etc, but she didn't just ignore the situation either.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I remember my last dog Cheyanne had to be outside in a kennel when no one was home and she was inside when we were home. She was a family dog and I was a kid so I couldn't make the rules though I would have rathered her be inside all the time.

Anyways... Our backyard backed up against an alleyway and a ton of kids walked through that alley on their way home from school every day. Cheyanne would bark at them, but since she was in a kennel there was no way she could get near them. They would taunt at her and throw rocks at her etc. One time I was walking to the backyard to bring her inside at the same time those kids were walking through the alley. They had found a plastic chair in the alley and broke it to bits and were throwing the pieces along with rocks at Cheyanne. I flew over the wall that separates my backyard and the alley and chased those kids as far as I could run threatening them. They never messed with that dog again after that.

At least the mom did get on her kid about throwing rocks at your dog... unfortunately there are too many parents that wouldn't have cared to even stop their kid

It's getting unusual now for a parent to even acknowledge their kid is behaving badly -- unless it's annoying THEM, :madgo: so I agree with Pops.

On the other hand, if I had a kid who did something like that . . . . Oh, he'd be paying for teasing an animal. I can't abide cruelty or a bully.

Snark

Mutts to you
Yeah, can't go by height - my nephew is a big boy, he's only 4 but looks a couple of years older. My question would be, is that all the mother did? If it had been me (or anyone in our family); the child would have been marched over to the dog owner to apologize. Unfortunately, I've seen quite a few parents just give lip service (don't you dare!) then not follow up.

My brother lives next door to such a couple - nice folks but no control over their bratty children. The boy (7 yrs) broke a window on my brother's house (hitting a golf ball through it, right after his mother told him not to aim at the house). The mother apologized and paid for the window, but the boy was never disciplined or even required to apologize for his behavior. Can't wait to see what trouble he gets into as a teenager...

Still just saying "don't you dare" isn't really getting after the kid all she did was shrugged her shoulders and walked back in. Wow I'm sure the kid has learned his lesson and knows better to throw rocks at passing dogs.

Lolas Dad

At the age of 5 I was about 42" tall. Throughout grade school I was the tallest person in our grade.I've always looked older than I am up until recently which was an advantage at times. Now I don't look as old as I am. So as the other person said you can't judge by height. The mother should have made her son apologize and then sat him down for a good talking about how dangerous it is to throw rocks at people and animals. Years ago one of my sisters had a rock thrown at her from the kid next door and the rock hit her right at the top of her eye lid. It required stitches to close the wound and fortunately she did not lose site in that eye.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Once, when I was walking Gonzo, some bratty neighbor kids threw rocks at him... so I picked up a handful of rocks, ran up and balked like I was going to throw rocks back at them. I don't care if they are little kids. I love kids, but they need to learn that what they do to other's is going to come back to them. I was also 13. I would probably handle it differently now, but they never bothered my dog again so it worked! :)

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
It's getting unusual now for a parent to even acknowledge their kid is behaving badly -- unless it's annoying THEM, :madgo: so I agree with Pops.

It makes me sick to my stomach to type it out. But I agree.:yikes::p

Atleast his mother said something. So she didn't give him a lecture in front of you? How are you to know she didn't when you walked away, or she took him inside and gave him a talking too.

Atleast she said something. And how are you to know the kid wasent just throwing rocks in the street? His mom could have not wanted him to throw rocks in the street period.

When my nephew was younger he was throwing pebbles into the middle of the street (which he knew better than to do). He was not aiming for cars though it was still wrong.And my sister saw it and yelled at him from the front porch to stop. She was leading him back to the house.....

And then a large man pulled his car over (BEFORE PASSING MY SISTERS HOUSE OR SON) and was screaming in my five year old nephews face to never ever throw rocks at cars. His car was the only one. And at the time my sister lived on a dead end road.

She definately was mad at this man and gave him a piece of her mind. Dude was not smart at all.

Definately blown out of proportion.

Hampton

I know I'm new here, but I'll jump in and point out that it's possible the child wasn't normally developed for one reason or another as well. I know someone with a 6 year old very autistic boy who has violent tantrums regularly (so bad they've resulted in her having to put him in a psych ward for her and her other child's safety). He looks normal, but will blow up like that and I'm sure lots of people in public think he's just a really bratty kid.

Still, I would not be pleased if someone threw rocks at my dog!

LilahRoot

It makes me sick to my stomach to type it out. But I agree.:yikes::p

Atleast his mother said something. So she didn't give him a lecture in front of you? How are you to know she didn't when you walked away, or she took him inside and gave him a talking too.

Atleast she said something. And how are you to know the kid wasent just throwing rocks in the street? His mom could have not wanted him to throw rocks in the street period.

When my nephew was younger he was throwing pebbles into the middle of the street (which he knew better than to do). He was not aiming for cars though it was still wrong.And my sister saw it and yelled at him from the front porch to stop. She was leading him back to the house.....

And then a large man pulled his car over (BEFORE PASSING MY SISTERS HOUSE OR SON) and was screaming in my five year old nephews face to never ever throw rocks at cars. His car was the only one. And at the time my sister lived on a dead end road.

She definately was mad at this man and gave him a piece of her mind. Dude was not smart at all.

Definately blown out of proportion.
She said that the mother SHRUGGED HER SHOULDERS and walked back inside. I doubt she told that kid anything. If my son (he's 2) didn't listen to me when I told him don't you dare he'd be getting some form of punishment. Time out is a favorite in this house and we even have a naughty chair.:lol-sign: There is NO WAY that I would just let it go if I caught my kids throwing rocks at any living thing. I also would have gone over and apologized for my child's horrid behavior.

And how are you to know the kid wasent just throwing rocks in the street? His mom could have not wanted him to throw rocks in the street period.
I know the kid threw rocks at us because he threw them in our direction right beside me not behind us. If we had been closer to the road he would have hit me since Blue was on my left side and the kid was on my right side.

Like I said the mom shrugged her shoulders and went inside leaving the kid all alone outside.

MPP

petperson
What a nasty, frustrating experience! I hope poor Blue wasn't too spooked. It doesn't seem as if the mom did a whole lot to teach the kid better manners, does it?

Members online

No members online now.